Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Different Controller...Same effing stick problem!!

Reaction score
I'm getting really REALLY frustrated with this issue. I bought my H as soon as it came out. I've had my fair share of early issues as many did but nothing like this. I can't say if the last firmware update caused this, but I can't be certain. All I know is it happened after the update. I noticed in late April that my right stick (only J3 movement / forward and backward) was behaving badly. It was sluggish. Motion in turtle mode was almost non existent. I had to move to rabbit mode to get movement. I called Yuneec and they went through a series of steps to fix it. No dice. I sent it in for repair. They called me and we went over it again. They said they were having trouble seeing it. I told them to fly and see for themselves. They sound up sending me a different unit. It worked fine the first couple of flights and I was happy. Then in the last week, the same EXACT issue! I made a couple of videos showing it not calibrating and how sluggish it is. Here's my question...Am I alone in this problem? Seems to me that the same problem happening is either a problem with a lot of controllers and Yuneec or something I'm doing. If it's me I need to know and stop it. Any help would be appreciated.
I've added 3 short videos as proof.

The first thing I try when a stick is acting weird is to get a can of electrical contact cleaner (the type that says safe for plastic) and pull the stick out far enough to spray the cleaner on the pot. Spray it several times and keep moving the stick. Let it dry and then try it again.
You have no idea how long these things have been sitting on a shelf. When they don't get used it's possible to get some oxidation on the contacts inside the potentiometer of the stick.

Acts like possibly a defective potentiometer or contact trace at the gimbal. Realizing you were trying to provide a visual, beating on it won't help. Contact Yuneec again and reference the video.

The first thing I try when a stick is acting weird is to get a can of electrical contact cleaner (the type that says safe for plastic) and pull the stick out far enough to spray the cleaner on the pot. Spray it several times and keep moving the stick. Let it dry and then try it again.
You have no idea how long these things have been sitting on a shelf. When they don't get used it's possible to get some oxidation on the contacts inside the potentiometer of the stick.
Thanks. I'll get some and try that. Are you suggesting I take apart the controller to get to it. I can, just not sure if that's what you mean?

Acts like possibly a defective potentiometer or contact trace at the gimbal. Realizing you were trying to provide a visual, beating on it won't help. Contact Yuneec again and reference the video.
Thanks for the reply. I agree, I didn't think I was trying to beat on it although it does come across that way. I was perhaps a bit frustrated. I'm wondering if a newer controller would exhibit the same issue?

Thanks. I'll get some and try that. Are you suggesting I take apart the controller to get to it. I can, just not sure if that's what you mean?
You don't have to split the case. Just remove the 4 screws on the stick and carefully lift it out. It will have a wire harness connected to it but you should be able to spray it.

I'm wondering if a newer controller would exhibit the same issue?

Normally a gimbal runs pretty well but they can get dirty, oxidized, wear out contacts, experience a wire separation, get dropped, or fall slightly out of adjustment over time and use. It's something that can occur with any RC controller since they are not sealed from the atmosphere and collect some amount of dust and debris over their lives.

I'm wondering if a newer controller would exhibit the same issue?

Normally a gimbal runs pretty well but they can get dirty, oxidized, or fall slightly out of adjustment over time and use. It's something that can occur with any RC controller since they are not sealed from the atmosphere and collect some amount of dust and debris over their lives.

Last edited:
You Sir, ARE A LIFE SAVER! I can't thank you enough. All calibrated!

I suggest you work the sticks vigorously before you fly. I turn on my St and while waiting for the h to get GPS ( not a lock apparently now lol) I exercise the sticks. During my take off and check for stable hover I'll work the left stick again and verify yaw is responding. That's it. I expect dirt as it's in every electronic I own here in the desert southwest. It's called vibrational correctional maintenance

If you have never been there, you should see the dust in Iraq. Like talcum powder and gets in everything. Impossible to prevent contamination from it. Eventually everything turns light tan inside and out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval