Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Disaster Response Pilots Needed in SC, NC and VA

Reaction score
Got this in my email Sunday,

Disaster Response Pilots Needed in SC, NC and VA

As we watch the weather and see Hurricane Florence develop, we keep all of those potentially affected in our thoughts and prayers. We hope you and your families are safe and taking all the precautions you can. As Floridians we understand hurricanes, the damage they create and the lives they disrupt.

As part of the Florida Drone Supply pilot network, we are asking you first if you would like to participate in the storm response team. We have initiated a list of pilots both in the area of concern as well as those who are willing to travel for the recovery efforts.

The pilot compensation follows:

Daily Rate: $500.00
Daily rate paid for each day you are deployed.

Per Diem: $100.00

A daily rate for incidentals, meals, etc. No receipts are required.

Mobilization Fee: $350.00

This is a 1 time fee to cover any costs to get you to the site and ready to fly.

Standby Rate: $400.00
Many times our clients will pay pilots to be "on-call" and ready to deploy. When standing by you need to be able to arrive ready to fly with an 8 hour notice.

Fuel: Varies
Depending upon the contract, the pilot may or may not receive a daily fuel credit - and some clients provide fuel trucks for us to fill up from at no charge.

In order to add you to our list, we need your primary aircraft equipment (prefer P4P or better - minimum of 20mp sensor is a must), and a copy of your FAA Part 107 certificate number.

Additionally, if there are any drone operators that are interested in assisting with search and rescue, power line failure / restoration or anything else related to public safety or benefitting the repair of storm damage, let us know.
To get on the list or to get more details about the timing, equipment requirements or the pay, register on our site and we will call you to talk specifics: https://www.floridadronesupply.com/pages/pilot-network-registration

Due to the high call volume, please primarily utilize email; please email us directly at [email protected] (Sky Source Aerial is the service division of Florida Drone Supply).

We are assessing and building our inventory of equipment related to the effort. From weatherproof M200s (and their weather sealed batteries), Inspires, Phantoms, Mavics, all other batteries, CrystalSky monitors (and extra batteries) - both new and our dealer demos of all those items. We will standby with everything we have to make it available and ready to be put to work.

Wishing everyone the best…​

Is this really legit ? it's kinda to good to be true. Does anyone else have comments on this ?

Florida Drone Supply is legit and they seem to have a pilot network according to their website. Looks like they reached out to AH-1G due to his 107 status.

Hopefully any response by them will only come at the request of Disaster Response Teams assigned to relief efforts. I feel the use of sUAS can be of great benefit in these situations, but must be coordinated with the authorities. Especially due to the volume of manned aircraft sorties that will be taking place post hurricane passage.

It may be legit but really a horrible envoirment to be flying in, especially if this storm holds together.
Forecasts of 130 mile an hour wind and hurricane to stall and dump 30 inches or more of rain will lead to catastrophic results. The flooding will be unimaginable and quickly turn toxic. I have family that has evacuated and can just hope and prey for no lives lost and minimal property loss. If anyone does decide to participate thanks ahead of time and BE SAFE

It may be legit but really a horrible envoirment to be flying in, especially if this storm holds together.
Forecasts of 130 mile an hour wind and hurricane to stall and dump 30 inches or more of rain will lead to catastrophic results. The flooding will be unimaginable and quickly turn toxic. I have family that has evacuated and can just hope and prey for no lives lost and minimal property loss. If anyone does decide to participate thanks ahead of time and BE SAFE
Makes me glad that I live in a relatively benign part of the world when it comes to the weather...nothing too extreme. Yes, we get the odd flash in the pan (I remember when Seven Oaks became Two Oaks back in I think 1987), but bad hurricanes are thankfully absent in our weather patterns.

Most of the time they cause moderate damage and flooding. There have been a few however like “Katrina” that devastated New Orleans Louisiana and caused havoc like I have never seen.

Our campus is in contact with government here at Middle Tennessee State University and we are prepared to send resources. I have a post similar to this in the Typhoon Discussion forum!

Reactions: Mr. I
Hurricane Florence Update

**Please Pay Particular Attention to the Email Reply Protocol Below**

Thank you for responding to our call for drone pilots in the wake of Hurricane Florence. We are keeping a close eye on the storm’s activity and want to update you on the status of the pilot program.

We are fortunate to have a high level of interest from pilots who live in or have traveled to the affected area. These pilots are considered Tier 1 and will be among the first contacted for work. We have collected all of their pertinent information and have verified that they meet our client’s specifications. If you live in or are in route to the affected area and have NOT been in contact with us recently about all of your specific information, please let us know.

Once the pilots who are in the affected area have been placed, we will move through our list, calling upon pilots who meet the same qualifications. Please ensure that you have provided us with the following information:

• When can you start?

• How long will it take you to be in Florence, South Carolina? (This is NOT the staging area. It is a reference point only!!)

• How long can you be deployed?

• What type of vehicle will you be driving?

• Do you have insurance? If so, what is your coverage?

Please provide the following documents:

• Copy of your ID and Part 107 card.

• Copy of Certificate of Completion and Number from the North Carolina UAS Operator Permit (click here to obtain one: https://eaviation.ncdot.gov/UAS/Home/Login)
**IMPORTANT EMAIL PROTOCOL**
Email To: [email protected]
Subject Line: DISASTER FLORENCE PILOT INFO

When sending in documents please use the above information for our email address and your message subject line. Doing so will prioritize your email to the right location and make sure we have what we need to deploy you for the relief efforts. Emails without the above settings will not receive the same priority and could delay your ability to be contracted.

If you have additional questions, please reply to this email at [email protected]

I've been put on their list. I signed up and they sent me a email saying that I was on their list of on-hold-resources.

I'm assuming since the hurricane is now only a category 2, the amount of the damage they were expecting is not going to happen. However flooding is expected.

Likely assuming incorrectly, AH.

It’s not just the winds...
I know it just not the winds, however they were expecting Cat 3 or 4. Now with cat 2 less damage will happen.
I've been through 4 hurricanes, and many tropical storms.
The States in that area don't have the same construction code requirements as we do. So yes more damage, but far far less than cat 3 or 4.

Even with 90 mph wind with little forward movement it’s not safe. The ground is saturating quickly and will make lots of trees fall. Standing in 90 mph wind is not much different than 120.

I know it just not the winds, however they were expecting Cat 3 or 4. Now with cat 2 less damage will happen.
I've been through 4 hurricanes, and many tropical storms.
The States in that area don't have the same construction code requirements as we do. So yes more damage, but far far less than cat 3 or 4.

hi AH-1G,

I probably should have just kept to myself rather than comment on your comment.

I have been deeply involved in status updates and contingency plans, keeping tabs on personnel with my [work] organization. Thus, have been listening to The Weather Channel straight on since Tuesday.

Guess my comment was instigated from the interviews with people who decided to stay after hearing the storm had been downgraded, and now find themselves in a world of hurt. Had they heading the first advisories to get out...

Anyway, didn't mean to imply I was coming down on you for your comment.

Stay safe everyone!

Jeff

Reactions: Threesixtyprod
hi AH-1G,

I probably should have just kept to myself rather than comment on your comment.

I have been deeply involved in status updates and contingency plans, keeping tabs on personnel with my [work] organization. Thus, have been listening to The Weather Channel straight on since Tuesday.

Guess my comment was instigated from the interviews with people who decided to stay after hearing the storm had been downgraded, and now find themselves in a world of hurt. Had they heading the first advisories to get out...

Anyway, didn't mean to imply I was coming down on you for your comment.

Stay safe everyone!

Jeff
I agree those folks should have gotten out when they had a chance. Now they are putting rescuers lives at risk.

There’s a lot of reasons some don’t leave, or simply can’t leave. Others may be tied to their land in ways we can’t understand. Those with foresight plan for water and food shortages and have made allowances for back up power supply. If they hold high ground they could easily deal with anticipated flooding, which will likely be the worst phase of the storm.

Hurricanes have been occurring over and over long before this became a named country and people have dealt with them without having emergency services or insurance to save them. For those capable, being or learning to be self sufficient is not a bad thing. For those not capable, perhaps they might consider relocating to a less calamitous location.

I have a rather callous view of society and pretty much believe in the natural selection process. Those that elected to live in flood zones...

I have a rather callous view of society and pretty much believe in the natural selection process. Those that elected to live in flood zones...
But there is another way to look at it: For some people they may not have much choice about where to live. Economic reasons being one reason: Flood prone land I expect will be far cheaper for example. Also they may be tied to a certain area for social or caring reasons: they may be tied to an area to look after sick and vulnerable family.

I live in a location that will never be flooded...not even if the entire Greenland ice glaciers melt tomorrow afternoon, yet not half a mile away is an area that could be flooded. The difference in house prices (and rents) between the two areas is marked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my