Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Disaster!

Reaction score
It finally happened. After 3-1/2 years of faithful service, my TH is now at the bottom of the Columbia River. My buddy took me out in his inboard power boat with the drone. The plan was to do "Follow Me" while we motored about. First time I've tried this. Installed freshly charged battery. Did the compass calibration, and launched the TH from the front deck, as far away from the engine block as possible. Got GPS and camera, lift off, stable hover. One landing gear refused to retract...second try, it worked (old problem). "Battery low, land immediately!" What!? I just took off. OK, maneuvered back towards me on the boat. "Battery low, land immediately!" OK! At that point, I lost control as the drone automatically descended (into the water). My buddy fired up the boat to maneuver the 10 feet or so to the drone. The rotors were kicking up spray as it hit the water. I reached down to pick it out of the water just in time to see the motors stop and the drone descend like a rock away from me. No hope; very deep water. Total flight time, maybe 30 seconds.
So, what happened?
1. I failed to warm the batteries before use. They had spent the night in the frosty cold car. I've had cold battery issues before and it shortened my flight time, but nothing like this.
2. If I had checked the drone battery voltage immediately after take-off, I might have noticed how rapidly it dropped and "landed" safely.
3. The Ultrex battery in use was a little over 2 years old.
I'm just sharing my experience for the benefit of others. Now I have to decide what to replace it with. The new Skydio 2 is interesting. I would miss the integrated controller screen, the 360-deg camera gimbal, retractable landing gear and 6-rotor stability. Hmm....

Do you do compass calibration every flight? What was your voltage before take off? I've flown in minus temperature before and had a few minutes of flight time. I do find the Ultrax battery does rapidly discharge sometimes, personally doesn't seem as reliable as OEM battery. Sorry for your loss and good luck with next decision.

Reactions: Pablo de la Fuente
It finally happened. After 3-1/2 years of faithful service, my TH is now at the bottom of the Columbia River. My buddy took me out in his inboard power boat with the drone. The plan was to do "Follow Me" while we motored about. First time I've tried this. Installed freshly charged battery. Did the compass calibration, and launched the TH from the front deck, as far away from the engine block as possible. Got GPS and camera, lift off, stable hover. One landing gear refused to retract...second try, it worked (old problem). "Battery low, land immediately!" What!? I just took off. OK, maneuvered back towards me on the boat. "Battery low, land immediately!" OK! At that point, I lost control as the drone automatically descended (into the water). My buddy fired up the boat to maneuver the 10 feet or so to the drone. The rotors were kicking up spray as it hit the water. I reached down to pick it out of the water just in time to see the motors stop and the drone descend like a rock away from me. No hope; very deep water. Total flight time, maybe 30 seconds.
So, what happened?
1. I failed to warm the batteries before use. They had spent the night in the frosty cold car. I've had cold battery issues before and it shortened my flight time, but nothing like this.
2. If I had checked the drone battery voltage immediately after take-off, I might have noticed how rapidly it dropped and "landed" safely.
I'm just sharing my experience for the benefit of others. Now I have to decide what to replace it with. The new Skydio 2 is interesting. I would miss the integrated controller screen, the 360-deg camera gimbal, retractable landing gear and 6-rotor stability. Hmm....

Wow
What a bummer.
Dang I feel your pain, no kidding.I love my
TY - H 480 As well.
I too have noticed shortened flight time
In colder temps. KEEP
Us posted on what you
Buy.
Keith Kuhn

Reactions: Rubik
So, what happened?

Man that’s a bummer, that new Skydio looks sweet. However reading into the interview with Yuneec’s CEO there is a new midline drone coming (other than the new H3 obviously) we will just have to see.

So, what happened?
Hi Rubik,
I feel for you, it comes as a shock. But you are probably correct in that the TEMPERATURE affected the battery and its ability to make enough power available in the cold conditions. Lotas of luck with the next one, pitty you could not retrieve it for spare parts. Johnno Hennessy. Keep Flying on the GREEN SIDE of the GRASS.

Do you do compass calibration every flight? What was your voltage before take off? I've flown in minus temperature before and had a few minutes of flight time. I do find the Ultrax battery does rapidly discharge sometimes, personally doesn't seem as reliable as OEM battery. Sorry for your loss and good luck with next decision.
I do a compass calibration if the venue has changed significantly. How far is "significantly"? It's a matter of discussion. East-West moves are more critical than North-South moves. If in doubt, do it.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Sorry to learn of the loss. No help the Columbia is deep, cold, and fast moving.

I share your thoughts about the battery temp. Combine a cold battery with being an old battery and what happened to yours is something for others to heed. The fast discharge is what usually happens as cells reach end of life, even if they checked out as fully charged before flight.

Up side is you got 3-1/2 years from her. Time to go shopping!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words.
There are more and more choices for a replacement. I'll wait for some user comments on the new offerings. Also, waiting for the FAA rules for recreational flyers to solidify a bit.

Thanks for all the kind words.
There are more and more choices for a replacement. I'll wait for some user comments on the new offerings. Also, waiting for the FAA rules for recreational flyers to solidify a bit.

Decide what you really want to use your drone for.
Photography - Avoiding Obstacles - Perhaps just the sake of flying.
No matter what your choice, enjoy it and stay
within LOS
Keith Kuhn

A cold battery was the cause of your untimely landing, IMHO. I don't think that the battery was a little over two years old would have been a significant factor if you have been caring for it properly, nor was the landing gear a factor either. The one thing that shouts out loud to me is that you stored your battery in a frosty car overnight and failed to warm it up before flight, and that was the ultimate reason for your loss. I feel for you...my condolences.

I remember my medium format cameras had a anti cold battery pack which you kept in your coat or trouser pocket, the silver oxide cells didn't like the cold. Perhaps the OP will upload his telemetry so we have an idea of what went wrong.

...Perhaps the OP will upload his telemetry so we have an idea of what went wrong.
Good Idea. While it is my opinion that the frosty battery was the cause, without that telemetry to give the real reason then a cold battery being the cause is not proven.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate loss.

Haven’t heard whether or not Yuneec still offers Bind ‘n Fly H480’s, but worth a call to sales to check.

Jeff
Someone posted a week or so ago that they'd been in contact with Yuneec looking to replace an aircraft but was told that there were non currently available. It is my view that the H480 is now no longer in production, so given that, it is unlikely that there will ever be 'bind & fly' units available again.

Watched a video (sorry dont rember where) but this guy installed floats, the tube kind the kids use ? He took off of the boad did the follow me thing til a low battery warning, tried to land on the boat twice to no avail, the the bird landed on its own and stayed afloat til he drove over and picked it up ? I thought that was a good idea for water flights ?

Watched a video (sorry dont rember where) but this guy installed floats, the tube kind the kids use ?

Can’t hurt in taking that route. For those times we fly over water buying some “pool noodles” could save an aircraft. The stuff is the same as Thermacell pipe insulation carried in hardware stores, just in more colors. The size used for 1/2” copper pipe will fit the booms and a zip tie keeps it in place until you want to remove it.

I remember my medium format cameras had a anti cold battery pack which you kept in your coat or trouser pocket, the silver oxide cells didn't like the cold. Perhaps the OP will upload his telemetry so we have an idea of what went wrong.
Here you go.
It looks like the battery voltage was 16.0 at take-off and dropped within 45 seconds to 13.8 when it hit the water. Do you see anything else suspicious?

Attachments

• 10-09 Last Flight TH.zip
    370.1 KB · Views: 13
Here you go.
It looks like the battery voltage was 16.0 at take-off and dropped within 45 seconds to 13.8 when it hit the water. Do you see anything else suspicious?
For me personally 16,0 volts would of meant no launch, but that's me, but I'm not critical of anyone else's flight procedure, I find you need bit of juice the battery can hold especially the take off can deplete the battery quite a bit, I'll leave it to the experts if they can extract anything suspicious in the flight.

For me personally 16,0 volts would of meant no launch, but that's me, but I'm not critical of anyone else's flight procedure, I find you need bit of juice the battery can hold especially the take off can deplete the battery quite a bit, I'll leave it to the experts if they can extract anything suspicious in the flight.
You are right. I should have looked at voltage immediately before pulling up off the deck. But in my own defense, the voltage was 16.5 just 18 seconds before take-off while idling. I had just finished compass calibration, shutdown and restart to ensure level camera.

You are right. I should have looked at voltage immediately before pulling up off the deck. But in my own defense, the voltage was 16.5 just 18 seconds before take-off while idling. I had just finished compass calibration, shutdown and restart to ensure level camera.
The worse thing is it had to happen over water, if on land you'd have a sporting chance to repair. Shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
premadsoftwaresolutions