Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI’s Brendan Schulman talks about the FAA, Congress & the possible impact for hobbyist drone pilots

My first thought......why am I hearing the plans of the FAA from a drone manufacturing rep? Sounds a bit more like influence peddling taking place.
The highlight was the educational efforts. DJI's plan to implement a knowledge test for new purchases has some appeal. I have to wonder if they will adjust their promo ads which encourage flying beyond VLOS. Nearly every gross infraction in the news and on Youtube seems always to be a Phantom.

The idea of a drone identification system is suspect as well. Requiring such a system which would also require a receiver to be purchased by LE. I'm guessing DJI will be the willing supplier at a substantial cost. Persuading the FAA to require drone manufacturers to produce a compatible system sounds like another attempt to cripple competition in the market.

Since the FAA has zero staff to enforce any of the current regulations, this surely has no benefit to the FAA for enforcement purposes. Farming out enforcement of airspace violations to local law enforcement is a step in the wrong direction. From my perspective, I see DJI encouraging rouge behavior and then proposing a way to counter it. It's a great business plan.

My first thought......why am I hearing the plans of the FAA from a drone manufacturing rep? Sounds a bit more like influence peddling taking place.
I think the reason Brendon was interviewed is because he is very active on social media with groups on legal news on facebook. Sure he has his companies interest but he does do a good job at protecting us small guys. Lets face it if we go down in flames so will a lot of UAV companies that cater to the hobbyist so we need companies like DJI to lobby for us and I guess them. It all comes hand in hand.

Not my words, just another article I had read about this.

"
Some in the industry feel that the ARC may be swayed to adopt technologies developed by one of the ARC members. However, the 74 member group represents a very broad base of stakeholders. Members range from major drone manufacturers of all types like Northrup Grumman, DJI, Insitu, and PrecisionHawk to drone platforms including AirMap and Skyward. The list also includes a long list of large corporate enterprises – both drone-related businesses and drone customers; advocacy groups like AUVSI and the Commercial Drone Alliance, research institutions, and government and law enforcement agencies. With so many members, the ARC may have difficulty reaching a conclusion, but they will certainly hear multiple sides of the issue.

The ARC is significant, having the potential to affect every drone operator and manufacturer. Decisions made by this group could influence regulation that defines how much information is gathered about drone operators themselves, their clients and their operations. More positively, it could help move drone integration – and commercial applications – forward. “Eventually the recommendations it produces could help pave the way for drone flights over people and beyond visual line of sight,” says the FAA."

Things are going to change, lets just hope for the better. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11