Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

DJI blocks commercial flight.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Steve Carr, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

Just saw an interesting post on a UAV legal page. At least Yuneec owners don't have to deal with this kind of control from China.

"Is or was there a class action lawsuit against dji for forces authorizations for no fly zones? I had my NOTAM filed, tower permission and transport Canada certification, and dji grounded me...no notice that the area I would be flying in had a nfz around it, and no notification that I had to apply for flight 24-48 hours ahead of time. Dji cost me over $2500 today alone in lost income and travel, and I will have to reshoot another day, putting me behind by another $2500.....its garbage that hey have control for 48 hours when sometimes I don't even know I'm flying until 12 hours before. My gov have me all the needed permissions in 3 hours, why the F should I have to submit permission forms to a foreign company to fly locally...."

Yuneecfreak likes this.
  2. Murray Martz

Murray Martz Moderator
    Staff Member

Blows me away every time I hear about what they force their customers to do with something they own.

How do you spell dji? I spell it a p p l e. :D

Steve Carr likes this.
  3. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen several complaints like this. It's amazing that people still buy these things when they can't count on them for a job.

4. Murray Martz

Murray Martz Moderator
    Staff Member

And it is being shown over and over who has control. But with as many owners as they have, it's probably only a drop in the bucket as to how many actually understand the control DJI has.

5. toothandnail

While I'm out in the sticks, (because of too much gov/idiots intervention) I would be PO'd beyond reasonable at that.
    I almost bought a DJI, till I read something similar.
    Way back (1991)when GPS was in its infancy . I had a guidance system on some farm equip, even though I owned it free and clear the company had a "kill chip" at a random time during the year it was dead until I called in for a code to get it operational.

Steve Carr likes this.
  6. gwhuntoon

Just shaking my head while I quietly rage against the machine. For what its worth, I voted with my dollars and opted for Yuneec. I've never looked back. During my decision making, forced firmware updates by grounding, for me, was a huge strike against choosing DJI.

Unfortunately Microsoft is becoming more like Apple every day, there are no good options right now for PC OS's. Besides only being able to, at best, defer Windows 10 updates, and having had to recover several people's PC's using Windows 10 which have had failed updates, it now looks like Microsoft would let you actually buy a license for the yet to be released Office 2019, (sounds good for a change), unfortunately it also looks like it may only work on Windows 10. And for the latest, Microsoft is playing around with the idea of no longer letting users install software even if you have a setup on CD or can download one. Future updates of Windows 10 may only allow software to be installed from the Microsoft store. I sure hope they don't do this.

I guess the idea or (illusion) of ownership is becoming more of a reality every day with companies imposing their will through the (Internet of Things) always on connected devices. I know people say, vote with your dollars but once every company is on board you won't have a choice.

BTW - I used to like my GoPro until the Capture software to control the camera required a login and seemingly wants you to share your photos with the world in the 'Cloud'. They're my photos, aren't they? I manually downgraded my phone to the older software and disabled updates. It's my frick'n camera (or so I thought). Guess I'm a Luddite.

Ty Pilot, Steve Carr and toothandnail like this.
  7. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

When I had to order a new PC last year, I ordered it with Win7. I hate Whine10. My next move will likely be Linux. I've used it for some special functions and I like the speed.

gwhuntoon likes this.
  8. PatR

GW;

You might want to try GoPro’s cloud just to mess with their heads. Copyright laws have been updated and if they repost one of your photos without permission you have them by the short hairs.

9. Ty Pilot

I recently got another GoPro Hero 5 and noticed that for the first couple of days with little use the battery level was acting normal. Last week I was doing a lot of shooting around town for a video I am doing along with a ton of stills. That night, I took all my gear in and methodically charged everything for the next day. When I got to the location I was setting up to do a time lapse and the battery level was LOW!!!! I hadn't even used it since fully charging the night before.:mad:

Well a couple evenings reading up and see that the camera doesn't really turn off at all, It just goes into a sleep mode all the while if its connected, I suppose it is uploading all your content.I'm with you - its my damn camera, my pics and my videos.

New Routine for GoPro - Battery is charged externally and kept out of the camera til I'm ready to use. Pain in the you-know-what but if thats hows it gotta be, then so be it. :)

NorWiscPilot and Steve Carr like this.
  10. NorWiscPilot

Since we’re off-topic...

Something tells me you guys haven’t succumbed to voluntarily surrendering your DNA for some giddy idea you might find yourself related to some royalty, celebrity, or history, eh?

#10 NorWiscPilot, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018