Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI Government Edition: high-security solution for government drones

Reaction score
Interesting to see if the general public will get these or if you have to be a 107 pilot doing government work. When asking about Geofencing Brendan Schulman (Vice President of Policy and Legal Affairs at DJ) said it was dropped in this new edition.

David Burritt Does that mean the Government Edition does not have Geo since the Government Edition does not access the Internet at all?

This question is not meant to be sarcastic, I am just wondering.
Hide or report this

It was only a matter of time... after the security concern removed squad drones; there was a military version released that basically offered the same... 1) no communications on internet, 2) optional & managed FW updates, 3) specialized app... in a small pack size.

This has been one of the major limiting variables to obtain Govt projects... and easy to rectify.
Also looks like their moving manufacturing to California to meet additional standards.

dji-looks-to-assemble-drones-in-california-as-government-concerns-mount
dji-aims-to-ease-security-fears-for-good-with-government-edition-solution

Me thinks someone is confusing "Assembled in the U.S.A." with "Made in the U.S.A". Two very different things. One is a smoke screen the other is the real deal. Our military won't be made happy until all the critical electronics are Made in the U.S.A. and use U.S.A. created code and encrypted RF transmissions.

Reactions: Lars and Dougcjohn
Me thinks someone is confusing "Assembled in the U.S.A." with "Made in the U.S.A". Two very different things. One is a smoke screen the other is the real deal. Our military won't be made happy until all the critical electronics are Made in the U.S.A. and use U.S.A. created code and encrypted RF transmissions.
I know what ya mean... and you're correct.
On that matter, don't most of the products have parts made external to our shores... are there many 100% made in USA products? HD bikes are what... made in USA? Nah... Aren't several parts made external? Big 3 USA Autos, and most electronics... made or asmb?

Critical parts... to many now that means IC chips they don't want copied outside of US boundaries for legal protection & profit. How many critical parts in an iphone... one? Last time I noticed conversations by ranks over cellular on iPhones instead of encrypted sat phones for the mass in military. I also don't see iPhones turned off when entering a HQ op quarters.

Even at that definition, made in USA by whom? Many involved in the process aren't Americans, many H1B Visa's in USA electronic plants from countries of the same concern... TS classification no longer equates to US Citizen.

As much as we remember our days around military standards... it's changing. When the Colt 45 remod to 9 was trashed in favor of foriegn company... I felt a loss of made in USA. Key component Electronics aren't all USA made, I think it's more made to Spec on many components.

Watch it happen, the wheel is in motion and I'll bet military will adopt in short time... a few more adjustments to the political wheel and it'll be adopted.

It smells, Something is driving it, DJI certainly isn't, we both know they don't have that much hold on our politics and Govt... this is an indicator it's in play.

Last edited:
"Made external" is pretty subjective. Quite a few government contracts are pretty picky about where that external location is. Some are flat out prohibited, even at small component levels. I well remember being prohibited from buying propellers from a German company that was not on an approved list of German suppliers. I also remember having to remove small Chinese made electrical components from aircraft electrical assemblies as the source country was prohibited. At one time we obtained most of our titanium used in a lot of aerospace projects from the USSR but there was quite a subterfuge run to assure they didn't know who was actually buying and what it was for. Anything coming out of some eastern countries that contain a chip is guilty until proven innocent and in some cases there's a whole lot of deception taking place to profess innocence..

Where some countries are concerned I just don't see acceptance of their products and services happening any time soon. You know as well as I do that what we are being presented on the surface is nowhere near as bad as the situation actually is. The media and political players present things a lot friendlier than the way they truly are.

FYI, there are several flight controllers being made in America, using either American or approved European sourced components. At least two of them are being made by American aerospace outfits.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Subjective on External, Internal or control of... is subjective in itself. You`re expression of removal & replacement, and "on the list of approved" is representative of that subjectivity. I recall within 5 sided office bld decisions of those lists being modified based on productions & need. There were also several cases where products were supplied to companies on the list by companies not.

The acquiring of titanium is a quantum itself. The top 5 countries are not our allies, China even passed up Russia for 1st place and 6th far behind in quantity is India.... and USA is way down the list. That indicates regardless of politics, for the quantity we require, our source is dependent on sources not on that list too.

Interesting, this video references per some regulation... didn't site the specific govt document, but apparently for all products; that if 60% or greater is assembled in the USA, it qualifies as "built in the USA". Didn't stipulate the amount needing to be manufactured within the USA... but based on other "Made in USA" products it's clear that isn't close to 100%. Apparently "built in USA" evidently is beneficial to certain Govt entities.

With their aggressiveness to regain Govt bids, and probably encouraged by various Govt entities; I would expect whatever level of manufacturing required to obtain desired standards would be constructed and performed. On the scheme of things, that wouldn't be much of a challenge.

Drones for the government, They need to make there own drones. It's not like they don't have money to do that. Or the personal.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Drones for the government, They need to make there own drones. It's not like they don't have money to do that. Or the personal.
Great thought... couldn't agree more! Although what do they make now? All military gear is by external sources... normally multiple sources for 1 product.

On the humorous side, IF they did make their own, we probably couldn't afford many of them in field and it'd be many prototypes and years to agree on design.

Reactions: PatR and Mr. I
We can’t really afford the tab DJI is sticking government agencies with as it is. What would cause government manufacturing to be any different?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22