Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do the "gps risers" actually work?

Reaction score
Just a quick question, im wondering if using these riser has actually show a repeatable improvement on gps lock performance, or gps lock in general? And what's your thoughts on the design? I like to keep my H as light as possible so I'd hate to add even more weight, even if it is just a few grams!

The further away you can get the GPS/compass from the rest of the electronics the better they work. Look at some of the high end drones that have their antennas on a mast to get it as far away as possible. I modded the heck out of my H480s (no more body shell and put the antenna on a mast) and the sat. acquisition is faster with more sats. Also have had zero problems with the compass dropping out. Give it a try.

Reactions: Mike Irish
The further away you can get the GPS/compass from the rest of the electronics the better they work. Look at some of the high end drones that have their antennas on a mast to get it as far away as possible. I modded the heck out of my H480s (no more body shell and put the antenna on a mast) and the sat. acquisition is faster with more sats. Also have had zero problems with the compass dropping out. Give it a try.
i see where your coming from 100%. and i will try it for sure.

but wouldn't just adding a higher "gain" gps antenna to the H be much more effective? i highly doubt 1/2 an inch can make that much of a difference?and if it does, wont 2-3mm of aluminum behind the GPS do the same thing... but better?

i would be interested in adding a gps antenna to the H. so if anyone knows of a higher "gain" antenna for GPS let me know. an dill throw it on and get some tests done

Yup, keep us posted on the higher gain antenna.

The GPS seems to aquire before I get video feed because of EU firmware here, but I can see the advantages of the fan cooled one.

A higher gain GPS antenna does little. What provides the most benefit is distancing the GPS/compass module as far as reasonably possible from electrical noise sources (ESC’s, motors, power supply wires, anything that might “cross talk”) and system generated heat. By themselves, batteries are great noise filters but they generate heat as they are used and your GPS sits right on top of one.

There are only two reasons to stuff the GPS antenna inside the aircraft body; cosmetics and cost. Eliminating the mast reduces cost in materials and assembly labor. Placing it inside makes a bird more desirable cosmetically as they look sleeker. Consumer drone buyers don’t like seeing things sticking outside of the aircraft body. That dislike costs them a lot in system performance. That includes video transmitter antennas.

In performing those two actions manufacturers sell more units, units that will never work as well as they could have.

but wouldn't just adding a higher "gain" gps antenna to the H be much more effective?

Its not about the antenna its about the compass. The antenna is barely disturbed at all unless something comes between it and the sattelites (clouds, trees, bridges...). The compass on the other hand is highly effected by the motors and other components. I dont think these little raisers make a big difference. A mast will do a way better job.

The compass is highly sensitive. I once had severe issues when building a drone comparable to the Q500. While calibrating the gyro and acceleration sensors I used a spirit level. After I finished and proceeded with the compass I noticed the results of the compass calibration were absolute junk. After hours of thinking and trying, I noticed the spirit level still lying on the table. I completly forgot about the fact that it has a relativly strong magnet on one side to make it stick to some objects. Although it was placed about 40cm (1,3 feet) away from the aircraft, this magnet was enough to disturb the compass in a way which made calibration useless.

A higher gain GPS antenna does little. What provides the most benefit is distancing the GPS/compass module as far as reasonably possible from electrical noise sources (ESC’s, motors, power supply wires, anything that might “cross talk”) and system generated heat. By themselves, batteries are great noise filters but they generate heat as they are used and your GPS sits right on top of one.

There are only two reasons to stuff the GPS antenna inside the aircraft body; cosmetics and cost. Eliminating the mast reduces cost in materials and assembly labor. Placing it inside makes a bird more desirable cosmetically as they look sleeker. Consumer drone buyers don’t like seeing things sticking outside of the aircraft body. That dislike costs them a lot in system performance. That includes video transmitter antennas.

In performing those two actions manufacturers sell more units, units that will never work as well as they could have.
Would you recon 2-3mm of aluminum foil behind the GPS will help at all? To block more of these rf signals from the boards?

Just a quick question, im wondering if using these riser has actually show a repeatable improvement on gps lock performance, or gps lock in general? And what's your thoughts on the design? I like to keep my H as light as possible so I'd hate to add even more weight, even if it is just a few grams!
The weight addition is inconsequential, the gps unit is isolated from the main board, there is a foil sheet between the GPS unit and the shell...do believe that with the gps unit on the "outside", the reception is more stable...

The strength of electromagnetic interference decreases with the square of the distance increase.
So, a little helps a lot.
Do keep the copper foil shield under the top cover.
It also helps a lot.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots