Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do you really want to read about one more compass calibration problem?

Reaction score
Over the past week I have attempted to calibrate my compass (57) times with no success.
I have read the wealth of information on this forum concerning this subject being that it is a fairly common issue with a lot of H owners, the majority of the problems can be chalked up to the novice H owner or someone that has not read or watched every You Tube video out there concerning this subject.I have read that it is not uncommon for the new H owner to not have the ability to calibrate the compass correctly at first because it is a skill that is developed.
I am here to tell you I am the novice pilot that has read and watched everything out there and I still cannot get it to successfully calibrate.I even read the ArcheyBaker post concerning calibrating the ST16 thinking that might be the problem, no such luck.
What is happening is I go to a open field, no metal, no electronics including keeping the transmitter away, cell phone etc, find north, point it in that direction,turn ST16 on, turn H on wait until ready with 18 satellites, hit settings, calibrate then compass, as soon as I hit compass I get the warning that GPS is lost.I go up to the drone and the main indicator light is flashing the rapid red/green lights indicating that compass calibration is started. I gently pick it up by the two lite arms and do the forward rotation until the next set of arms light up, rotate to the left and start my forward rotation and so on and so on. The failure is always on the last set of arms.
I have read the pros and cons of even doing the calibration and I do not know what to think. It fly's great in smart (no drifting what so ever) It returns to home as should be. Should I just say the **** with it or send it back? All of the different modes, bells and whistles work except for this 1 issue. Your Thoughts?

Reactions: AJan
How long does it take from the time you pick up the H until you get to the last set of rotations? And after the last rotation you do not get the multi tone indicating the calibration completed?

It ta
How long does it take from the time you pick up the H until you get to the last set of rotations? And after the last rotation you do not get the multi tone indicating the calibration completed?
It takes me about 45 sec. to last rotation and there is no multi tone just solid white light showing calibration failed.

Yep you are doing it in the timeframe needed to complete the calibration... I do not know if this will be the best route for you,
because there have been some definite changes in staffing at YuneecUSA. Emailing has historically been a less than productive method. The customer call in center is in California so all times are Pacific timezone. In the past they open at 8AM Monday thru Friday.

Call at 8:05AM... unless the option has been completely removed, one of two things will happen...

1) You will be put into the queue... but since they just opened, your wait time will be under 15 minutes. Say a small prayer the the tech-support gods and hold on.

2) You will be offered the opportunity to leave a callback number and they will call you back. You can't run to the store, cause you will need to be by your H & controller when they call back.

When they call back they will walk you through an entire set of steps to attempt to assist you in troubleshooting to determine if you need to send it back. If determined to be a warranty repair they will issue an RMA. Because of the staffing changes mentioned above, you will likely need to send it to an authorized service center nearest to your location.

If you have done reading on this board you will know that there has been a variety of warranty repair posts in the last 6+ months that have been less than stellar customer experiences. Some issues involve the timeframe of repairs... some involve the competency of the repair techs doing the work. As a warranty repair, you pay for none of it, so unfortunately you have no leverage to ***** about much of any aspect of the repair process.

There are some members that possess the background and skills to perform extensive repairs themselves. At the least you may want to inquire with a couple reputable repair shops that do out of warranty work on our birds, as to what a GPS/compass diagnostic and possible replacement would cost. Carolina Dronz and Terrestrial Imaging are two who come to mind. If the quotes are only a couple of hundred dollars, it might be worth it to eat the cost... and get the issue solved competently and in a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:
Reactions: lsn618
@BoomBoom

I have to agree with Eagle's Eye. There are a lot of people that will help if you want to go that route. All things being equal, I bought my H last summer and haven't calibrated the compass since I've had it. Not saying that's good or bad.....................just sayin.

Yep you are doing it in the timeframe needed to complete the calibration... I do not know if this will be the best route for you,
because there have been some definite changes in staffing at YuneecUSA. Emailing has historically been a less than productive method. The customer call in center is in California so all times are Pacific timezone. In the past they open at 8AM Monday thru Friday.

Call at 8:05AM... unless the option has been completely removed, one of two things will happen...

1) You will be put into the queue... but since they just opened, your wait time will be under 15 minutes. Say a small prayer the the tech-support gods and hold on.

2) You will be offered the opportunity to leave a callback number and they will call you back. you can't run to the store, cause you will need to be by your H & controller when they call back.

When they call back they will walk you through an entire set of steps to attempt to assist you in troubleshooting to determine if you need to send it back. If determined to be a warranty repair they will issue an RMA. Because of the staffing changes mentioned above, you will likely need to send it to an authorized service center nearest to your location.

If you have done reading on this board you will know that there has been a variety of warranty repair posts in the last 6+ months that have been less than stellar customer experiences. Some issues involve the timeframe of repairs... some involve the competency of the repair techs doing the work. As a warranty repair, you pay for none of it, so unfortunately you have no leverage to ***** about much of any aspect of the repair process.

There are some members that possess the background and skills to perform extensive repairs themselves. At the least you may want to inquire with a couple reputable repair shops that do out of warranty work on our birds, as to what a GPS/compass diagnostic and possible replacement would cost. Carolina Dronz and Terrestrial Imaging are two who come to mind. If the quotes are only a couple of hundred dollars, it might be worth it to eat the cost... and get the issue solved competently and in a reasonable timeframe.

Thank you everyone so much, I will go the route of keeping Yuneec out of the picture.I have read a lot of positive things about Carolina Dronz and after waiting forever to finally receive my purchase H from Yuneec I think I am pretty much done dealing with their support staff also.

Hi Folks;
I was talking to Yuneec a few days ago about the same issue. You actually have to complete the calibration within thirty seconds. That was what was sinking me. When I hurried up and did it quickly, it took the first time.

Jim

Hi Folks;
I was talking to Yuneec a few days ago about the same issue. You actually have to complete the calibration within thirty seconds. That was what was sinking me. When I hurried up and did it quickly, it took the first time.

Jim
Yes, 30 seconds. Even an old hand like me still gets timed out on occasion...particularly if I've placed the ST16 some distance away.

Glad you guys pointed out he was doing the calibration process much too slowly surprised someone said 45 seconds was appropriate....as for the guy who has never done compass calibration, he must not travel much, when shooting just below the arctic circle from wherever he is flying now calibration would be mandatory as well as if he crossed the equator and often within the same state
or even counties.

Did not intend to give inaccurate information in suggesting that 45 seconds was an accurate timeframe... the vast majority of the posts I have seen on this subject usually stated "under a minute"... frankly I have never had much of an issue in completing the compass calibration successfully, so I really haven't had the need to closely time the process. For myself, learning to remove the camera before compass calibration has significantly helped in completing the sequence smoothly and quickly.

I noticed at a clients house in one place it took me 5 tries to get the calibration, I moved about 20' to the left. Come to find out there was a buried electric cable right under where we were staging!!! Power lines (above & below) seem to cause quite the mess with the compass as well as metal in the ground. Might be something to look around for.

I finally had a chance to try to calibrate the compass today and by hurrying up and doing it within 30 seconds it finally calibrated. I guess 40-45 seconds was not good enough. Thank you all for your advice and when I get some experience I will pay it forward to the less experienced.

...<snip>...Thank you all for your advice and when I get some experience I will pay it forward to the less experienced.
That's what this community is all about. Even the more experienced pilots here had to start from somewhere. They are passing their experience down the line...I know I try to...in the hope that as newer pilots develop they will do likewise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie