Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Doing research on H520 for Public Safety and have a few questions. . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm researching the idea of getting the H520 w/CGOET Thermal purely for Public Safety purposes. As such the only camera (initially) I will be getting is the CGOET since is has thermal and RGB (dual sensor) in one unit. I'm not looking to take pretty pictures or do inspections with this camera but I was wondering does anyone know the resolution of this camera (Thermal and RGB)? I went to Yuneec's website and they didn't seem to list the resolution or I missed it.

For the record I realize that is a new Thermal Camera coming from Yuneec but it's priced well outside of the budget for the moment. It might be an upgrade further down the road.

Next question is battery charging. I have seen a single Dual Battery Charger available but I'm kind of spoiled with other brands having the option of the Blue Box chargers that charge (3) batteries, the transmitter, and one other USB device all at the same time. Is there a similar option for the H520?

Next, why are the H520 batteries out of stock so many places? Is there a battery problem?

Are there Higher Capacity Batteries available for the H520? If so I'd love a link.

Are the Transmitter batteries Hop Swappable? Also is there a shortage of ST16S batteries like that is with the bird itself?

What "general" ranges are people getting with the factory H520 with no antennae upgrades?

I'm a DJI guy but I flew Blade/Yuneec aircraft before I got into DJI. Everything I own right now is DJI but our Dept just can't afford the DJI version with Thermal and I'm thinking this might be a good fit for us.

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Allen

Corrected info below courtesy of @arruntus :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
To my knowledge, the CGOET shares the same resolution specs as the rest of the CGO series... 4K 30FPS video and 12 MP photo resolution.

Thank you sir. That helps.

Reactions: Cwlbunch
Hi Big, You start strong ;)

The CGOET camera has a resolution of 160x120 pixels. It's very low I think for anything and it's at 9hz.

The E10T Thermal Imaging And Low-Light Camera for H520, 320 x 256 Thermal Resolution or 640 x 512 Thermal Resolution. In both cases they are not radiometric. The price is very high yes.

Regarding battery chargers, I think it's a mistake to take a charger, even if it's multiple, that only charges Yuneec batteries. It's better to take a standard charger and buy adapter cables that will always be good for tomorrow even if you buy another drone, you only will need the adapter cable.

I don't know why there is no stock of batteries but it's the same because the charger that Yuneec supplies is so bad that in the end the batteries end up swelling due to the impossibility of discharge them or putting them in storage mode. , it's advisable not to use it and to use a separate quality charger, with its cables adapters. To follow the procedure of conservation of the batteries and when they are not used to leave them with load of storage, with that only extends the life of the batteries a barbarity.

The ST16S batteries (the transmitter) are removable, I have two.

With the standard antennas, with the Mushroom, in visual line of sight I reach 1 km without signal loss. I haven't tried any further, if you follow the "normal" rules more than enough.

If you're just gonna use it with the thermal camera, it's a good bird. It is very stable and holds up like a champion against the wind. However, the movements of the gimbal are robotic, it needs an urgent update to give it smoothness. But for what you want, and if it's only for that I think it can do very well. If you want it for other things the story changes a lot.

P.D.: the CGOET rgb camera resolution is full hd.

Hi Big, You start strong ;)

The CGOET camera has a resolution of 160x120 pixels. It's very low I think for anything and it's at 9hz.

The E10T Thermal Imaging And Low-Light Camera for H520, 320 x 256 Thermal Resolution or 640 x 512 Thermal Resolution. In both cases they are not radiometric. The price is very high yes.

Regarding battery chargers, I think it's a mistake to take a charger, even if it's multiple, that only charges Yuneec batteries. It's better to take a standard charger and buy adapter cables that will always be good for tomorrow even if you buy another drone, you only will need the adapter cable.

I don't know why there is no stock of batteries but it's the same because the charger that Yuneec supplies is so bad that in the end the batteries end up swelling due to the impossibility of discharge them or putting them in storage mode. , it's advisable not to use it and to use a separate quality charger, with its cables adapters. To follow the procedure of conservation of the batteries and when they are not used to leave them with load of storage, with that only extends the life of the batteries a barbarity.

The ST16S batteries (the transmitter) are removable, I have two.

With the standard antennas, with the Mushroom, in visual line of sight I reach 1 km without signal loss. I haven't tried any further, if you follow the "normal" rules more than enough.

If you're just gonna use it with the thermal camera, it's a good bird. It is very stable and holds up like a champion against the wind. However, the movements of the gimbal are robotic, it needs an urgent update to give it smoothness. But for what you want, and if it's only for that I think it can do very well. If you want it for other things the story changes a lot.

P.D.: the CGOET rgb camera resolution is full hd.

Has anyone used the H520 ET series... 320 or the 640? Curious to how compares to a Flir 320 or 640 low to mid series units. In comparison, the FLIR units are extremely high cost, especially if you're looking at specialty gimbal styles, the zenmuse XT or XT2 series.

If anyone has the E10T 640 version, post a few pics if possible.

Parrot has a commercial version of their Bebop 2 drone with a regular camera on one end and a FLIR infrared on the other end. I believe cost is $1500.00. I have the regular Bebop 2 and love it. Has some nice features other drones don’t have. One of them is the ability to take a satellite image and draw waypoints on it, including which way you want the camera to aim. All automatic autonomous flying. Does not have obstacle avoidance, though.

@BigAI07

The H520 with CGEOT is plenty, I did my research in those same setup. Wither you are using the H520 for inspection, SAR or other applications, it definitely a good sUAS

But the ultimate question is what you want to ultimately ask is, the altitude, longitude and location that you will be flying at, because Yuneec might disappoint you.

I also fly DJI as a tool for my job and we are spoiled by its capabilities. Is there a place where you can rent a Zenmuse XT2? Renting would also be a great option.

@BigAI07

The H520 with CGEOT is plenty, I did my research in those same setup. Wither you are using the H520 for inspection, SAR or other applications, it definitely a good sUAS

But the ultimate question is what you want to ultimately ask is, the altitude, longitude and location that you will be flying at, because Yuneec might disappoint you.

I also fly DJI as a tool for my job and we are spoiled by its capabilities. Is there a place where you can rent a Zenmuse XT2? Renting would also be a great option.

A lot of our work is carried out in small "Sectors". Take for instance looking for a lost senior who wandered away from a senior home. I'm given small areas to "Clear" and don't need to fly miles at a time.

Yes VERY spoiled with the range of DJI. I moved up from a Blade/Yuneec sUAS simply because the range was so limited but they have improved a LOT since then. If we got more than 400' away we lost WiFi and RTH was getting triggered with the QX2 I was flying.

I'm hoping we can get several hundred feet with the current crop of Yuneec aircraft.

Thank you EVERYONE for your input.

@BigAI07

Agree, fly both.

Yep... there are several, but too many rent days might as well purchase... good for a day or 2.
DJI Zenmuse XT2 640 - 30hz - 13mm - Rental - Blue Skies Drone Rental

Parrot has a commercial version of their Bebop 2 drone with a regular camera on one end and a FLIR infrared on the other end. I believe cost is $1500.00. I have the regular Bebop 2 and love it. Has some nice features other drones don’t have. One of them is the ability to take a satellite image and draw waypoints on it, including which way you want the camera to aim. All automatic autonomous flying. Does not have obstacle avoidance, though.

That is a great price for the product. The Flir One on the craft is an entry level Flir and is only a 160, same specs as the CGO-ET. Like the CGO-ET, it has a good purpose and an excellent tool to introduce Thermo IR. I looked at the Bebop 2 for a bit... considered but had visions of my 2 Parrot AR's.

Autonomous and IR is great on the craft for an included product set within package. As mentioned by other poster, the products offered "for" DJI crafts by a highly supportive 3rd parties are overwhelming and provides more capabilities across the spectrum of autonomous and modeling... and other than high end grid, modeling or scientific programs is either free or minimal costs.

I am happy to see the H520 is beginning to get included in some of these packages.

The biggest plus towards the H520 or any Yuneec is the open flight mission lacking NFZ... although it looks like that may be changing; another reason to maintain a older model.

That is a great price for the product. The Flir One on the craft is an entry level Flir and is only a 160, same specs as the CGO-ET. Like the CGO-ET, it has a good purpose and an excellent tool to introduce Thermo IR. I looked at the Bebop 2 for a bit... considered but had visions of my 2 Parrot AR's.

Autonomous and IR is great on the craft for an included product set within package. As mentioned by other poster, the products offered "for" DJI crafts by a highly supportive 3rd parties are overwhelming and provides more capabilities across the spectrum of autonomous and modeling... and other than high end grid, modeling or scientific programs is either free or minimal costs.

I am happy to see the H520 is beginning to get included in some of these packages.

The biggest plus towards the H520 or any Yuneec is the open flight mission lacking NFZ... although it looks like that may be changing; another reason to maintain a older model.

I've pretty much made the final decision to go ahead and move forward with the H520 platform especially since a better FLIR is being released for it. Hopefully we can find the funds for the improved camera sooner than later but until then we'll make do with the CGOET.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here and some Public Safety operators acorss the US who I have been talking to who are using the H520 we feel confident this will be the biggest BANG for our BUCK currently. I just need to get some final approvals and get this system on order ASAP.

I'm looking forward to posting back here with some favorable outcomes in the near future.

I've pretty much made the final decision to go ahead and move forward with the H520 platform especially since a better FLIR is being released for it. Hopefully we can find the funds for the improved camera sooner than later but until then we'll make do with the CGOET.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here and some Public Safety operators acorss the US who I have been talking to who are using the H520 we feel confident this will be the biggest BANG for our BUCK currently. I just need to get some final approvals and get this system on order ASAP.

I'm looking forward to posting back here with some favorable outcomes in the near future.

I think I am not mistaken in saying that Yuneec is not using Flir's cameras. They are others from a Chinese manufacturer I seem to remember.

Knowing this I would wait a little bit to reviews and see how it behaves. The proven quality of Flir I think is proven over the years and yet all manufacturers make mistakes. The rush into a new product, especially with the price that these cameras have, are not good without being certain that it will meet the expectations of what you're looking for.

I think I am not mistaken in saying that Yuneec is not using Flir's cameras. They are others from a Chinese manufacturer I seem to remember.

Knowing this I would wait a little bit to reviews and see how it behaves. The proven quality of Flir I think is proven over the years and yet all manufacturers make mistakes. The rush into a new product, especially with the price that these cameras have, are not good without being certain that it will meet the expectations of what you're looking for.

That would be correct, I too don't recall the manufacture but it's certainly not FLIR. Although there are other IR Thermo Sensor manufacturers that are very good. There is one that is considered equal to FLIR sold by ICI, makes a lot of Industrial scale products and doing more in the retail & IR Thermo. A few USA custom speciality builders adapt them to their drone platforms.
Infrared Cameras Inc

There is also a Chinese company, Yangda Security that makes / sells many gimbals & cameras and they too manufacture excellent IR Thermo cameras and Camera Gimbals. YANGDA Products - Yangda Security. I was a bit skeptical at first, then found several reputable Drone custom shops used their gimbals and cameras. I recently purchased a few 22,000mAh Tattu batteries, their new smart Lipo Batteries called Tattu Plus from Yangda. They are Tattu Distributors, located down the street from the Tattu Distribution office. The batteries arrived 2 weeks later in retail Tattu Packaging... all for about $150 less per battery including shipping than the fixed retail prices within the USA. LONG Story, but my point was that I think they use the same IR "Sensor" that Yuneec uses in their IR Thermo Cameras.

For my intended uses, the 160 IR sensor in the CGOET was a great learning too, but not in level needed, the 320 IR's fall short too. The 640 IR Sensor in combination to the color masking profiles and detail enhancement provided by FLIR and should be included in the Yuneec's 640 greatly enhance the IR Thermo functionality. The difference in detail allows seeing detailed human shapes through dense smoke, easily identify a person walking in the woods, inspections of solar fittings, etc.

The price for the Yuneec 640 Gimbal Camera non-radiometric is in par with other similar non-FLIR and greatly below the Radiometric FLIR Gimbal cameras: exp: Zenmuse XTR or XT2. Comparing a IR Thermo camera to a Gimbal IR Thermo will always be hugely lower but you loose the incorporated functionality... for many that isn't important, to others it's vital.

Another major factor is the lens. Many IR Thermo are 12-15mm, for higher work such as SAR above trees, Wind Turbine or Tower Inspections the 19-25mm range allow the IR Thermo to be able to read accurately at a higher altitude or greater distance.

We are pretty set on going with the H520/CGOET combination. Just waiting on a couple of required signatures and then we''ll be moving forward.

We are most likely getting a "BUNDLE" but I'll need to source high capacity batteries and also ST16S batteries. Does anyone have a good reliable source, at a good price of course, for these items?

Thanks to EVERYONE for your input.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I think we are all waiting for an aftermarket LiHV for the H520 and the H Plus. They use the same battery.

I just now realized you're the same Steve I was replying to on FB a few minutes ago LOL.

Last week, somewhere on the WEB, I came across some Chinese "High Capacity" batteries for the H520 but I didn't note the website at the time because I didn't know they are so hard to find LOL. Oh well :)

It's interesting they call this out as a 15.2v Lipo rather than an LiHV. But......so does Yuneec.
The price is certainly more attractive.

I've always been cautious (maybe overly so) with 3rd party batteries and motors. I hate having a single failure point with no redundancies. I may get one to try out and test and document carefully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece