Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Don't Let Law Enforcement Bully You - NYS Incident

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This is a neighboring county local to me and I am shocked and appalled at the treatment given to law abiding US citizens by the Wayne County & NY State Troopers. The town of Lyons had given up it's local police force a few years ago. This is a typical tactic of lying to the person to get what they want illegal or not. This county has a reputation for things like this happening. It is rural.

Reactions: MikeK
This is a neighboring county local to me and I am shocked and appalled at the treatment given to law abiding US citizens by the Wayne County & NY State Troopers. The town of Lyons had given up it's local police force a few years ago. This is a typical tactic of lying to the person to get what they want illegal or not. This county has a reputation for things like this happening. It is rural.

Oops! I should have looked before posting.

No harm done.

To me this is less about a drone operator and more about an activist with an agenda. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not for the laboratory testing of animals.)

My take after watching the video is this - To the person in the video the drone is nothing more than a tool or means to an end which is unfortunate for those in the drone community who are more about the drone.

I think this was being unnecessarily escalated to make a point. If it was me? I have better things to do with my time so I would have just given him my ID (regardless of what the law requires), respected their opinion, answered their questions and moved on. I wouldn't want to escalate things to make a point regardless of who is right. I know how the video is being portrayed but this is a post 911 world. In my opinion all bets are off and so is due process especially if they consider you a terrorist threat (thanks to the Patriot Act in the United States). If its a (my opinion or theirs) situation, they will win. With respect to this video and in my opinion, this guy just wasted a half day or more he could have used for something productive just to make this video. Had he just given his ID and moved on this video would have been 10 minutes and no one would have seen it, right?

As an operator I'm highly aware that others are uncomfortable with the perception of being watched and I respect that. I'm not out to make people uncomfortable and I respect their privacy. People are fearful that someone with a drone may be using it for a criminal activity. I'm not that guy. I would like to put others at ease so they leave me alone and let me have my fun. All we need are more unnecessary laws written to restrict us.

Many people look to the past with rose colored glasses, you know those great times back in the 60s and 70s? Good times, hah. Truth is, the good ole days for most of us was when we were 8-10 years old regardless of our present age.

I don't believe activism like this will be positive for peoples opinions of drones or roll back possible Police over reach. I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

Reactions: FlushVision
UPDATE: saw this today...

From: troopers.sm.h.internal.affairs [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 11:20 AM Subject: RE: Disgraceful Good Morning,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the YouTube video published January 8, 2016. We have received numerous e-mails regarding the video and are looking into the matter to ensure that our Trooper handled the matter professionally and appropriately.

New York State Police Professional Standards Bureau
1220 Washington Avenue Albany, New York

I think this guy is looking for trouble. Guess what? Reported suspicious behavior, spying, invasion of privacy, I agree with the cops coming to check it out. They should have been put in jail for a week. What a waste of time.

If you want to play James Bond then you should expect this to happen.
So you would have no problem leaving a park where you were flying only to get stopped by police because another person at the park said you were illegally flying and spying on them. Seem OK to you? What they did leaves them open to a lawsuit that the citizen could easily win.

For the cops to simply ignore what the general public has to say is not in anyone's best interest, trust me. To me these guys were spying and also looking for trouble, which they will get hurt by someone that gets really pissed off one of these times. Just show some ID next time.....stop looking for trouble, again, what a waste of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis