Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Down bird

Reaction score
Yesterday I took the typhoon H up for a spin. Flight went well, no problems, brought it in, landed, turned off props, restarted, took off, flew around a few minutes brought it back hovered at about 30 ft. At this point, H became very unstable drifting left and right. Within seconds h became unresponsive to my inputs and came down hard. camera slid off its track and battery popped out. Need help to find what went wrong. This was my eight flight.

Attachments

• telemetry.zip
    531 KB · Views: 16
What was the battery voltage you last saw on the ST16?

Did you return to flight with the same battery you just landed with? If so, what voltage did you see upon landing?

It’s unusual for the battery to pop out even on a hard landing.

battery voltage read 15v. when it crashed. Yes it was the same battery. I landed stopped the props, realized i had to drain the battery a bit more so i started it up and took off again. i was on the ground for not more than 20 seconds.

Since you are a new pilot it is possible that you made a common mistake. The battery fits in the H so that the back is flush when fully inserted. But it can (for a short time), function when almost inserted fully. The way to tell is this...

1) There are 2 distinct clicks when inserting the battery... the first is the battery contacts touching the corresponding pins in the H body, which will temporarily provide power. The second click is the latch in the back of the battery locking the battery in. Listen for both clicks.

2) When the battery is fully seated and locked in you should not be able to pull the battery back out, without pulling on the latch release cover on the back of the battery.

When inserting the battery, do not baby the mechanism... slap that battery in with a modicum of force... kind of like slapping in a magazine in a handgun.... not as hard, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
The telemetry you provided above does not conform to the flight you described.

The telemetry does show an unexplained loss of altitude just before getting an error of motor 4 failing at 08:47:06.8 and emergency motor shutdown at 08:47:09.5. I believe these times are UTC, but not certain.

ThrottleVoltageAltitude.png

Would the telemetry show if the h lost power in flight. Maybe altitude when power was lost. The day before this happened, i noticed one of the motors significantly hotter than the rest. The slop in the Arm of the hot motor is about 1/4 inch more than the rest in the locked position. Downloaded GUI, ran it, don't know what I'm looking at, parameters, etc.

Do you remember which motor ran hot? Keep a record of that... I have had that occur a couple of times. So far in the GUI it shows no problems... you can test run the motors from within the GUI, to see if a specific motor shows an issue. If it comes up again, I'd talk to someone about swapping that out. Arm with a motor is only about $60. Not worth testing out the 5 motor mode that way... :eek:

Definitely keep an eye on it... and always check all motors in pre-flight before arming them, by manually rotating all a couple of turns... see if there is any resistance or physical binding that would generate heat when powered up.

Would the telemetry show if the h lost power in flight. Maybe altitude when power was lost. The day before this happened, i noticed one of the motors significantly hotter than the rest. The slop in the Arm of the hot motor is about 1/4 inch more than the rest in the locked position. Downloaded GUI, ran it, don't know what I'm looking at, parameters, etc.

Telemetry files are in numerical order with the higher number being the most recent flight. The telemetry you posted showed an unexplained loss of altitude from 60 meters, followed by a motor 4 error and emergency motor shutdown. I suspect this is the flight you mentioned with the overheated motor.

is there a possibility that the telemetry from the last flight would not be recorded due to the absence of the battery upon impact. The telemetry file i posted is at the bottom of the list with the largest number, but it's the 2nd to the last flight.

There should be telemetry from the part of the flight before the crash.

The 00038 flight log only shows the TH on the ground, with GPS disabled, and no command to start motors or selection of a flight mode. It took place on June 14, 2018 at 13:34:37 through 13:37:37 with a battery voltage of 15.9VDC.

00038 and 00039 are the only 2 files on the st 16 for that day. What would prevent the st16 from recording telemetry from the part of the flight before the crash. No file for the entire flight.
Moving forward, I wanna get the H back online asap. Would there be a checklist, or a systematic approach to getting bird airborne following an incident such as this. Few questions:
1) Overheated Motor, Knowing that the motor overheated, should i just change it?
2) Can i fly the H without the camera until i trust that it is up to par. Would that be a wise thing to do?
3) The Camera mount assembly looks tweeked. Ill reference this in Angle mode. The top plate that connects to the drone looks good(level). below are 4 rubber bushings, The front left and back right side bushings have pins in them. Something looks wrong with the back right connection . Ill try to include picts.

Thanks again, Happy Fathers Day..
20180617_101219.jpg Screenshot_20180617-101151.png Screenshot_20180617-101151.png

you need to upload the 00039 telemetry then. The first post had 00130 telemetry files.

Here's a video on how to get the rubber dampers back where they belong

The dampers do a great job but I got really tired of them coming apart so I used some thin nylon tie wraps. After I took this photo I replaced these with black thinner tie wraps. Not everybody likes this idea but it has worked for me.

View media item 728

thanks, if I'm not mistaken, the telemetry file in the first post is 00039, the second being 00038. these are the only 2 files recorded on the st16 for 6/14. just In case I did something wrong, I'll download 00039 and repost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox