Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone knucklehead . . . very UNCOOL stunt flying over HELICOPTER

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I haven't seen this one posted on the forum yet so here goes....

This UAS operator pulled a maneuver that I would love to see him go to jail, get fined heavily, and forbidden to ever own any type of UAS ever again.

Please discuss but do so with respect and decency.

Allen

• Sad
Reactions: Steve Carr
Hope he gets his just desserts.

Reactions: BigAl07
This is becoming all too common. I'm starting to think that these things should all come geofenced at 500 feet laterally and 200 feet vertically until you have proof of either 107 or the upcoming recreational sUAS test. Good judgment is not something we can count on everyone having. Too many with the skateboarder mentality who really don't care about anyone other than themselves and the desire to get the Kewlest shot.

And we as a community should not fail to excoriate those who post things like this. They deserve scorn, not "Wow man!! That was so COOL!!"

When I was a flight instructor the most difficult thing to teach was judgement. Eventually I determined it could not be taught at the age levels I was dealing with. They had good judgement by then or they didn’t. Those with good judgement got to solo and continue forward.

Similar seems applicable with multirotor flyers. With some either their judgement is faulty or their sense of machismo over rules their judgement. Had the operator used good judgement and had a spotter to watch for traffic on a scenic fly way this likely would not have happened. As mentioned in another post, it’s happening much too frequently and these incidents where they miss by 20’ or less will eventually end up s collision. God help the operator that’s involved because no one else will.

There is a cult mentality that exists in drones with thousands of followers who envision their next adventure will outdo all others while earning their place of honor among their shallow thinking peers. The only way this will end is when the FAA takes to task those who continually post their videos and boast about their blatant disregard for safety.

When I was a flight instructor the most difficult thing to teach was judgement. Eventually I determined it could not be taught at the age levels I was dealing with. They had good judgement by then or they didn’t. Those with good judgement got to solo and continue forward.

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no bold old pilots!! My other fave is experience is what you get for surviving your mistakes.

Similar seems applicable with multirotor flyers. With some either their judgement is faulty or their sense of machismo over rules their judgement. Had the operator used good judgement and had a spotter to watch for traffic on a scenic fly way this likely would not have happened. As mentioned in another post, it’s happening much too frequently and these incidents where they miss by 20’ or less will eventually end up s collision. God help the operator that’s involved because no one else will.

I describe them as skateboarders with transmitters. Same adrenalin junkie mentality. Worse are the ones who get all in your face when you point out how not cool their actions are.

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no bold old pilots!! My other fave is experience is what you get for surviving your mistakes.

I describe them as skateboarders with transmitters. Same adrenalin junkie mentality. Worse are the ones who get all in your face when you point out how not cool their actions are.

The skateboarder mentality is kinda what I thought when I saw this one.

Reactions: Scijohn23
The video made me sick to my stomach. Last week, while catching up with a family friend (who my dad grew up with) who owns 3 helis who flies tourists around the island of Hawaii, told me that one of his pilot had a mid-air collision with a drone. I was shocked, because little news buzz was heard, and Hawai’i wanted it to go away, so not to create anymore concerns.

I brought my son, droning with on my second trip to Hawaii. My son knows better, although he is 16, he already has his part 107. But, I am not his favorite dad anymore, because I grounded the [emoji90] for 3mos for trying to impress me flying his Mavic over 400ft, while he knows, I would never go past 300ft unless I’m working.

He's at 700 / 800 ft there, and looking at his screen, so the first he knows about the heli is when he hears it, and it is almost on top of him. Not a malicious act, or a stunt, just a fairly catastrophic level of ignorance of rules by the pilot. He seems to be genuinely unaware of any height limits and the fact that droning is banned at that location. But in his defence he is frightened, contrite and apologetic, and has been brave enough to upload the video despite knowing how much shade that's surely gonna bring him...

Reactions: Phaedrus
I haven't seen this one posted on the forum yet so here goes....

This UAS operator pulled a maneuver that I would love to see him go to jail, get fined heavily, and forbidden to ever own any type of UAS ever again.

Please discuss but do so with respect and decency.

Allen
It is so sad that this is the reason i find it difficult to find new places to fly legally, show some respect to this wonderful activity please

Reactions: Phaedrus and Grumpy
He's at 700 / 800 ft there, and looking at his screen, so the first he knows about the heli is when he hears it, and it is almost on top of him. Not a malicious act, or a stunt, just a fairly catastrophic level of ignorance of rules by the pilot. He seems to be genuinely unaware of any height limits and the fact that droning is banned at that location. But in his defence he is frightened, contrite and apologetic, and has been brave enough to upload the video despite knowing how much shade that's surely gonna bring him...

While I would normally tend to agree I have to question that because at some point he had to manually change DJI's Max Alt limit of 400'(120m). So that blows his "unknowing altitude limits" out the window.

My son and I were at a local sonnets bbq and while walking to the car a plane with an electric sign board under its wings like the one on a blimp was circling around at less than 400 ft over down town advertising for some stupid business.if you can't fly a drone over the down town contested area what makes it safe for people when's its a big ole airplane not to mention this was 8:30 at night.

No one mentioned it's not safe for airplanes to fly over head, they do tend to fall down. It's a matter of compliance.
Would you want dozens or 100 so drones flying downtown at one time?
I would be very surprised if he was less than 400' over a populated city, unless the town you're talking about is about a square block.

Aircraft operating under visual flight rules outside or beneath the Tower's airspace are not required to use air traffic's services and fly unrestricted. A pilot can freely select his or her route and altitude with no restrictions other than those flight rules establishing minimum altitudes for flights over populated areas and required separation distances from clouds and terrain. The Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 91.119 indicates that, except when necessary for departure or landing, the minimum altitude over urban areas is 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL) and 500 feet AGL over rural areas.

Attachments

• Low Flying Planes.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 4
No one mentioned it's not safe for airplanes to fly over head, they do tend to fall down. It's a matter of compliance.
Would you want dozens or 100 so drones flying downtown at one time?
I would be very surprised if he was less than 400' over a populated city, unless the town you're talking about is about a square block.
Believe me he was less than 400 ft you could hear the wind being cut while he was gliding around.not to mention the court house which is the tallest building there and jail at time of picture was. Under him and the probability of having 100 drones in one congested area at one time would be a far stretch. If a drone makes people feel unsafe continually flying over head .I would take the drone over a plane any day.we have had in this month alone 5 small plane crash in our state over highly populated areas.where I fly in the country I have had planes fly over too close to the ground .

Believe me he was less than 400 ft you could hear the wind being cut while he was gliding around.not to mention the court house which is the tallest building there and jail at time of picture was. Under him and the probability of having 100 drones in one congested area at one time would be a far stretch. If a drone makes people feel unsafe continually flying over head .I would take the drone over a plane any day.we have had in this month alone 5 small plane crash in our state over highly populated areas.where I fly in the country I have had planes fly over too close to the ground .
I'm a pilot my self, you can fly 5' off the ground (NOE) cross country legally. As I posted the PDF

I'm a pilot my self, you can fly 5' off the ground (NOE) cross country legally. As I posted the PDF
Well where I fly. Is behind my house in a 300 acre hay field. Surounded by large trees. And all you can only here them when coming from behind and it echoes you can't tell where they are coming from so all you can do is pull down on power and get down as fast as possible and hope they don't hit it and our neighbor hood has 2 story houses. It is unexseptible.

Reactions: AH-1G
Here's my question to you @slick, so WHAT if that pilot is operating unsafe or outside of the FARs? You report him and let the FAA do what they do. Get his tail # and report it. This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and is only an attempt (poorly) to deflect away from the drone operator's actions.

Regardless of what the pilot in the airplane local to you "looks" like he's doing it's still your responsibility to See & Avoid at any and all cost. It's pretty simple like that really.

Also it's very hard to "guestimate" an aircraft's accurate height AGL when standing on the ground and nothing to reference for scale. Most people would be lucky to get within 500' right let alone 100' or 200' accuracy. You'd be surprised how low 500' is. Also with anything attached to the plane such as an "electric sign board" is going to make a LOT of turbulence and a lot of noise especially when low & slow.

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcecleaning