Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones Will Be Shot Down Until These Misconceptions Are Tackled

Reaction score
On February 23rd, Long Island resident Gerard Chasteen allegedly fired his Shotgun three times at a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom flying near his property.

The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law.

The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law.

Not going to happen sorry to say.

"
Vic Moss shared a link.
Admin · 4 hrs
A little bit of bummer news this morning dealing with Federal prosecution of shooting drones.
As may of you may know I've been dealing with a few different people (directly and indirectly) who have had their drones shot down.
I just got off the phone with one of my contacts and they mentioned that based on conversations they've had, it's very unlikely that there will be any federal criminal prosecution of any drone shooting that doesn't involve "blood and guts" any time soon.
The other situation that may bump it up the federal chain is if someone shoots down a drone involved in a human SAR mission. That may also make it a priority.
There isn't really a single Federal agency that can be singled out. There are people inside most agencies that feel the same way we do.
Unfortunately, they aren't really the people making the high level decisions. It's just not a priority. And it's understandable to a point, but it sure would be nice if they would.
So it looks like the old adage of FARs being written in blood will also apply to the UAS community.
This doesn't mean we should just let people get away with it. Make sure you encourage people to report these issues to local police, and maybe one of them will want to push it.
And if you're involved in one of these unfortunate issues, take meticulous notes.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news this morning. But this looks pretty final.
And of course, please share this Drone U blog with your congress critters. Explain your frustration and ask them if they can do anything before someone gets seriously hurt."

Reactions: Manco
So it is Federal a law but just another we don't enforce. Got it. Dang. So even if they are not prosecuted on a Federal level, they still have to deal local authorities do they not?

Last year, as I was mapping a land, someone was throwing rocks on my drone, luckily the sUAS finished the mission okay. I actually did not think nothing of it, I was just glad that nothing happened. This year, it happened again on the same build, but this time, my employer called the authorities, but I have yet to know the outcome. And presently every time I work on that pit, someone has to be present with me at all times, aside from my VO.

There’s always small claims court. If someone does something that damages your property, you’re generally entitled to recover damages. If you’re operating within the law and can present that they violated the law and destroyed your property....sue them. Of course, winning and actually collecting are two different things.

You can also involve local law enforcement. If you’re within city limits, most municipalities have laws against discharging a firearm. There’s always reckless endangerment too....what goes up must come down, and as a firearm owner, you are responsible for that bullet, wherever it ends up. Firing up into the air is stupid on so many levels.

It’s something, st least.

There’s the other rub in play here...

Unless someone is standing within recognizable view of me, I’m thinking real hard before going on a hunt for someone who was hellbent on shooting down my aircraft.

If someone was of mind to shoot once, I’m not likely to chance a subsequent weapons discharge.

Just sayin’

Jeff

Jeff,

That’s what CCW’s are for. Unless you live in Texas or another state where you still have the right to defend person and property.

Here in Virginia, it's a felony to destroy anyone's property that's worth over $1,000. Less than $1,000 is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which is still punishable up to 12 months and $2,500 fine, plus restitution. Shooting in the air could also be considered Reckless Handling, which is also a Class 1 misdemeanor. All of the cities and towns around here have ordinances against shooting in populated areas. So, someone could really get jammed up in the Commonwealth for shooting down a UAV.

Fortunately in the U.K. we don't have any issues regarding the shooting down of drones as far as I'm aware. I guess there may be a possibility of some farmer discharging a shot gun on his own property but I'm not aware of any such instance.

If you paint it looking like a fox ? and put a tail on it, you would have a new and interesting fox hunting season.?
?

If you paint it looking like a fox ? and put a tail on it, you would have a new and interesting fox hunting season.[emoji237]
[emoji457]

Hahahaha... A vote from me [emoji1419]

There’s the other rub in play here...

Unless someone is standing within recognizable view of me, I’m thinking real hard before going on a hunt for someone who was hellbent on shooting down my aircraft.

If someone was of mind to shoot once, I’m not likely to chance a subsequent weapons discharge.

Just sayin’

Jeff
I'm midwest, so probably a little different than large City... but also probably hear "I'll shoot that Thang down" more often than Lg City projects. Not suggesting but my situation. In my cities or countryside, a 45 is visible. 1 mag of snake shot and 2 defense. It also helps pacify the odd-ball drive up that you can spot trouble before it arrives or the occasional Tag-Team Idiots making comments to just take the Drone. Politeness is core, able to modify optional.

Not directly related but applical experience, I've noticed even the ones that shoot, once realized by sight or sound you're equal... they run!

Agree, I still would pursue local & State legal actions. For most packages, that would be above Sm Claims and require more substantial legal action... which often provides a little more success in collecting, which still may be zero.

Brings up a question... Hull Insurance tag-ons. Does Hull insurance apply on a downage by projectile (bullet or rock) if there isn't a Police report to reference? Or Hull damage is Hull damage regardless.

I would think that would fall under terrorist act coverage. Also possible that a claim could be denied due to civil unrest exclusions. I prefer the .45 response.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Pat you are a man of high caliber! I shoot glock model 23 in the .40 cal.
The .45 is a slow moving round, but it is very much akin to being run over by a slow moving freight train.

It's a tad slower, but recoil is so smooth ya can double tap easily... just enough recoil for a rising hammer. Enough energy to satisfy all. The 40 is a much better solution then the barky, jumpy 9.... and retain your night vision.

Are we on the verge of an arms race with drone shooters?

Double Tap? Two Draft beers for everybody? Kidding I know what it means.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech