Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DY5 Charger Is DEAD after only 8 Months

Reaction score
Well, this blows big old chunks. :mad:

I purchased the Yuneec DY5 charger last August. It worked fine up until today. Now, as you face the unit, the charging port on your right side is completely dead. Because I bought it through Amazon from Yuneec, I initiated a return request, mainly because on both the Amazon product page and the documentation (I still have the original box and packing slip) there is no warranty information to be found.

Welp, about 20 minutes after I did the return request, I got an email from Yuneec telling me my return request has been closed out due to "Expiration of returns period."

I have an appointment to speak with customer service tomorrow at 1100 my time. I'm not expecting miracles.20190404_140403[1].jpg

Did it ever give "battery damaged"warnings in that slot? I've noticed that on others, wondering if it's a quality problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: seowashdc
That the "Expiration of returns period" has ended is normal, depends on the rules of the consumer in each country, but is things of 1 or 2 or a few weeks. Another thing is the guarantee. You have to look at how long it has a guarantee and go around. The warranty period also depends on each country, on the consumer protection law. In my case and in almost all of Europe is a period of 2 years, but in most places is usually a period of 1 year. Unfortunately in others and fewer and fewer sites is less than 1 year.

Do not be discouraged by the negative answer, because I believe it is correct, just try to apply the guarantee, that you will not get the product and return the money (this also depends) but that you will fix yours or replace it with a new one. It tends to take longer but it is not normal to be broken in a short peace as it has happened to you.

Good luck and you'll tell us how it is.

P.S.: when I say it depends on each country, in this case buying internationally depends on the laws of the country where you buy the product, not yours.

Reactions: seowashdc
Ditto, I just returned the one I ordered (Amazon purchase from Germany) the same day because the charger right did not work at all (white screen). Yet it was new equipment! It seems to me that quality is not at the rendezvous. I just got another from MiniPlanes and it works perfectly. We will see how long it will last. I took it especially for its storage function, it seems to perfectly balance each cell.

That the "Expiration of returns period" has ended is normal, depends on the rules of the consumer in each country, but is things of 1 or 2 or a few weeks. Another thing is the guarantee. You have to look at how long it has a guarantee and go around. The warranty period also depends on each country, on the consumer protection law. In my case and in almost all of Europe is a period of 2 years, but in most places is usually a period of 1 year. Unfortunately in others and fewer and fewer sites is less than 1 year.

Do not be discouraged by the negative answer, because I believe it is correct, just try to apply the guarantee, that you will not get the product and return the money (this also depends) but that you will fix yours or replace it with a new one. It tends to take longer but it is not normal to be broken in a short peace as it has happened to you.

P.S.: when I say it depends on each country, in this case buying internationally depends on the laws of the country where you buy the product, not yours.
If a defect develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time the goods were delivered to you.
In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems or defects across the product range.
The retailer can also make a deduction from any refund for fair use after the first six months of ownership if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.
You have up to six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.
This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product

Reactions: arruntus
Ditto, I just returned the one I ordered (Amazon purchase from Germany) the same day because the charger right did not work at all (white screen). Yet it was new equipment! It seems to me that quality is not at the rendezvous. I just got another from MiniPlanes and it works perfectly. We will see how long it will last. I took it especially for its storage function, it seems to perfectly balance each cell.
can you send me some information or a link to the MiniPlanes? I'm curious about it. Thanks for sharing.

If a defect develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time the goods were delivered to you.
In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems or defects across the product range.
The retailer can also make a deduction from any refund for fair use after the first six months of ownership if an attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful.
You have up to six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.
This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product
at $139 USD, this isn't worth small claims court. I'm guessing I'll be told the warranty period is either 30, 60, 90 days or six months. I'll find out.

I'm guessing the warranty was no more than six months, but I'll find it when Yuneec calls me today at 1100 my time.

So, according to Yuneec Support, there's a 30 day warranty on the charger. After that, you are SOL. Good to know. I told the guy to tell marketing and sales to update the damned literature to let us know. :mad::mad::mad:

Something is wrong with that answer, seowashdc, it's not the manufacturer who determines the warranty period, it's consumer law in every country. Another thing is that the manufacturer increases that period, but can never decrease it. If I were you, I would ask for advice in a consumer defense association.

Something is wrong with that answer, seowashdc, it's not the manufacturer who determines the warranty period, it's consumer law in every country. Another thing is that the manufacturer increases that period, but can never decrease it. If I were you, I would ask for advice in a consumer defense association.
since I paid $134 USD, it's not worth my billable hourly rate to pursue this. I hear what you are saying, but looking at this from a business decision point of view, I need to move on from it and learn a lesson.

This is a blessing in disguise... certainly for higher end (and more expensive) batteries, proper maintenance should include consistent IR monitoring... a shortfall in the capabilities of the DY-5. You can now correct that oversight of Yuneec's, with a decent 3rd party charger.

This is a blessing in disguise... certainly for higher end (and more expensive) batteries, proper maintenance should include consistent IR monitoring... a shortfall in the capabilities of the DY-5. You can now correct that oversight of Yuneec's, with a decent 3rd party charger.
do you know of any 3rd party chargers to recommend? Thanks,

The SkyRC is a good one, from reports on this board... myself, I went with Hitech

Hitech X2 AC Pro

As @Mrgs1 mentions, you will need the referenced adapter cable to plug in the Plus batteries. Both brands of chargers have a 4 capacity model as well, if you need it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio