Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E90 Leaning horizon and more

Reaction score
Yes, I have put the H520 perfectly horizontal, and made a Gimbal calibration. Nothing changed : the problem was still there.
I got an answer from the technical service of Yuneec : I have to send the camera for repair !
Before doing this, I will ask them if it could be a firmware problem...

HI !
I just buy a secondhand H520 with a E90. In first fly, all was ok, no horizon problem. After that, i made all update (st16, gimbal, camera and dron). And now, i have the same problem : my horizon is inclined : when i start the drone, everything is ok. If i let the drone on earth and move it with my hands, the horizon stay good. But when i take off and the use yaw or camera rotation, the horizon get tilted (if i don't move, the horizon get not tilted after several seconds (10 or more)

I think it is a firmware problem. Is it possible to install an old firmware ?

@3dho : do you have an answer from Yuneec

@WTFDproject : have you ever see this kind of behaviour ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Yes, you can downgrade the camera firmware to a previous version.
Install this version for the gimbal to see if it has any affect:

@WTFDproject : have you ever see this kind of behaviour ?
I have not personally seen the issue myself, but have heard it mentioned.
I have seen several C23 and E90 cameras with a permanently tilted horizon. Those with a full time tilt can be corrected with a mechanical modification. I do not believe the mechanical fix is appropriate for your camera, since it is not tilted when first turned on.

"Is it possible to install an old firmware ?"
I think so, but have not done so on an E90. I have done it many times on C23, but the files are arranged differently on an E90. The "gimbal Fix" firmware mentioned by @Steve Carr above will likely fix the issue. In the meantime, I will do some experimenting to ensure the downgrade version will also work, and post the results here.

@Steve Carr , @WTFDproject : Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try to downgrade the gimbal firmware. I will tell you the result !
I had hoped to attempt a firmware downgrade first. With regret, I cannot do so. I forgot I have neither an E90 nor an H520 currently available. Any speculation I could make based on C23/H Plus would be questionable.

Reactions: geoek
@Steve Carr , @WTFDproject Hi ! Thanks for your help, i downgrade the gimbal firmware with the one of the link (is it really a downgrade ?). And after that, i try a little fly to test. And it's magic ! my gimbal is now ok and stay horizontal during my flight !!! The weather was bad so i don't fly a lot. But I think that my problem is solved ! Thanks a lot for your help, you are perfect :)

@3dho : do you have an answer from Yuneec

It is long !!!
They received my camera on the 8th of september !
I sent them a mail on the 15th, trying to get some news...
They told me that it could take up to 4 weeks before getting news.
And until now : nothing...
So my drone is sleeping in his box ! :)

Just to let you know : when Yuneec told me I had to send the camera, I first asked them if the problem could be solved by doing a downgrade of the firmware. They just answered : "No, we must have the camera to get that problem fixed". So I suppose they know the problem (I hope !)

I will keep you informed as soon as I have news...

It is long !!!
They received my camera on the 8th of september !
I sent them a mail on the 15th, trying to get some news...
They told me that it could take up to 4 weeks before getting news.
And until now : nothing...
So my drone is sleeping in his box ! :)

Just to let you know : when Yuneec told me I had to send the camera, I first asked them if the problem could be solved by doing a downgrade of the firmware. They just answered : "No, we must have the camera to get that problem fixed". So I suppose they know the problem (I hope !)

I will keep you informed as soon as I have news...
Thanks for the news. Dis you try to install the vibration fix firmware before send them back ?

And another question: where do you live and where did you send the camera. I'm french and I think there is no yuneec service in France. [emoji54]

I live in Belgium, and the service is in Germany.
I had to send the drone a few months ago, and I must say their service is very good. Even if for this time, it is a bit too slow for me !

And about the vibration fix firmware, I didin't install it. It is the first time I hear about this. And because they said that the problem seems to be very well known, I didn't hesitate to send the camera.

(Et donc j'aurais pu dire tout ça en français du coup !) ??

@Steve Carr , @WTFDproject Hi ! I come back again with my gimbal... after downgrade the gimbal firmware with the "gimbal Fix" , the horizon problem is gone.
But now, there is another issue. The gimbal goes into error randomly and stops completely with a beep. The only solution is to put the drone down and restart. Sometimes nothing. And sometimes it occurs two time during one battery :(
I have clean the electrical contacts. What do you think ?

@Steve Carr , @WTFDproject Hi ! The gimbal goes into error randomly and stops completely with a beep.
@geoek,
The intermittent nature of failure is a concern. It is important to know what the beep is trying to tell us. It will consist of long beeps, short beeps, and then it will repeat itself. Please listen carefully to tell us how many long beeps and how many short beeps are heard.

DeepL translation:
@geoek,
Le caractère intermittent de l'échec est préoccupant. Il est important de savoir ce que le bip essaie de nous dire. Il sera composé de bips longs, de bips courts, puis se répétera. Veuillez écouter attentivement pour nous dire combien de bips longs et combien de bips courts sont entendus.

@geoek,
The intermittent nature of failure is a concern. It is important to know what the beep is trying to tell us. It will consist of long beeps, short beeps, and then it will repeat itself. Please listen carefully to tell us how many long beeps and how many short beeps are heard.

DeepL translation:
@geoek,
Le caractère intermittent de l'échec est préoccupant. Il est important de savoir ce que le bip essaie de nous dire. Il sera composé de bips longs, de bips courts, puis se répétera. Veuillez écouter attentivement pour nous dire combien de bips longs et combien de bips courts sont entendus.

Ok, i will do a video next time the problem occurs. (I hope flying tomorrow)

And another question : is it possible to reinstall the last firmware ? I'd like to see if the horizon problem come again... With the update software, it is not possible (allready the last version). So perhaps by downloading the file and put it on the card ? (official link ?)

@WTFDproject : Today, the gimbal problem occurs again. And i note the buzzer code : it il 4 long beep, and 1 short beep. In the same time, the led was blinking from green to blue. Do you know what does it mean ? According to your answer, i will try to install again the last gimbal firmware (without the fix)

And i add that i always get out the camera from the H520, and i store it in his storage box.

Thanks in advance (i have a video of the camera during the problem, if you need it)

@WTFDproject :And i note the buzzer code : it il 4 long beep, and 1 short beep. In the same time, the led was blinking from green to blue. Do you know what does it mean ?
Thanks in advance (i have a video of the camera during the problem, if you need it)
@geoek,
The code is the IMU failure code. That code, and the intermittent nature of the problem, strongly suggests the Main ribbon to camera board is damaged. The ribbon is not available in the US. I do not know if it is available in Europe.
I apologize, but I must leave the house for awhile. I will be back in about one hour, and there is more I need to tell you about this problem. I will return as soon as I can.

The symptoms of your camera suggest a failed ribbon. As always, symptoms can have more that one explanation. I now doubt it is a firmware issue, but there is not much harm in trying. It could also be other damage, such as a failed gimbal board. But the most common is the failed ribbon.
The ribbon is only partially damaged. If no REAL repair is available, it might be possible to secure the ribbon to maintain some degree of functionality. That takes some expertise in dealing with complex and fragile parts. If you want, I can generate a set of instructions for how to do the work.
The pictures below are to help identify the ribbon if you contact Yuneec Repair. I do not believe the part number is a Yuneec Part number. I suspect it is the manufacturers part number, and Yuneec representatives may (or may not) recognize the number. I also do not know of a formal name for the ribbon. It is not listed on the Yuneec Parts list. I often refer to it as the "Spiral" ribbon, or as "C23/E90 Main to Camera Board" ribbon.
The ribbon is listed on the Yuneec Skins Website in the USA, but is currently listed as "out of stock. "https://yuneecskins.com/all-products/ols/categories/c23---e90-parts"
These are some pictures of the Ribbon from the website:
Spiral 2 .jpgSpiral.jpg

Thanks a lot for all theses informations. That's very very cool all what you do.

Before opening the camera, i will try a last time to change the firmware. Because it is very strange.
Again, here are the facts :
- i bought the h520 with the cam to someone who had not update the firmware since 2018.
- during the first flight, i have no problem.
- then i update all my devices (st16s, H520, E90, CGOET and gimbals)
- Horizon problem appears (i have done 6 batteries) and only the horizon problem
- I flash the fix firmware
- Horizon is good, but i have this new problem of IMU. Usually, the problem occurs during the first flight after 3 or 4 minutes. No problem during the end of battery... (after landing and reboot). The problem didn't appear during yaw or roll move. I try to move a lot the gimbal and no problem. Moreover, i try to reproduce the problem on ground by moving the drone as it was flying. I cannot... The problem occurs only on real flight.

So i will try the last firmware again. (weather is bas now in France so i don't know when i will be able to test that.

And according to the result, i will try to open the gimbal to securise the ribbon.

Thanks again for your help ! I'm sure we will found the solution !

Reactions: Mike Irish
@WTFDproject : I have flash the last gimbal firmware and now, no IMU problem. But i have again the horizon problem...
My last try will be to install an old gimbal firmware (i didn't have problem before the update of the drone, st16, camera and gimbal...)
Do you know where i can download old yuneec firmware ?
(In fact, i'd like to repair the cam bacause i think there is really an hardware problem or calibration problem, but the camera is no longer guaranteed (June 2018), and today, it is difficult to finance a possible repair.

This link will take you to the older firmware. The filenames have been changed to make the storage system work. Each version must be renamed to "gimbal.yuneec" before it will work.
"Yuneec Drones Australia"
Thanks a lot for this link !
I will try the last version of the previous fork : 1.39.6

EDIT : Install done. On ground, all looks ok. I will do a test flight tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFDproject

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio