Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Elevation and Yaw Response from Left Stick

Reaction score
New out of the box Typhoon H, I am seeing what I would describe as dull response to Yaw and Elevation on the Left Stick of the ST16+ Controller. From center, I can move the stick about halfway to the edge before I get any movement from the TH for both Yaw and Elevation. I checked the Hardware Monitor, and the indicators show full movement on the left stick for all directions, so I don't think it is an issue with the ST16+

Has anyone else experienced this?

Please search this forum for this issue. It’s been covered in detail and it’s most likely oxidation from it sitting in the box. It’s been discussed under cleaning and maintenance as well as Yaw issues. It’s usually repairable easily by the user.

Reactions: yerrickl
Please search this forum for this issue. It’s been covered in detail and it’s most likely oxidation from it sitting in the box. It’s been discussed under cleaning and maintenance as well as Yaw issues. It’s usually repairable easily by the user.

you said you checked the monitor. did it respond as fast as you were moving it?

I saw the prior threads. My confusion was that the hardware monitor was showing good response on the stick movement. I thought that, if the stick had an issue where it needed to be cleaned, I would see sluggishness on the hardware monitor.

I saw the prior threads. My confusion was that the hardware monitor was showing good response on the stick movement. I thought that, if the stick had an issue where it needed to be cleaned, I would see sluggishness on the hardware monitor.
Not so on seeing sluggishness. Is it going 100% in each direction? Just clean it first, then let us know that didn't work.
Use electronic cleaner as many have suggested, I use WD-40, but some folks don't recommend this, no issues for me yet.

Not so on seeing sluggishness. Is it going 100% in each direction? Just clean it first, then let us know that didn't work.
Use electronic cleaner as many have suggested, I use WD-40, but some folks don't recommend this, no issues for me yet.
I will try the cleaner. When the stick is all the way at the edge, I have full rotation and full elevation. It is just the center area that has no response, from center to about halfway to the outer edge. The hardware monitor shows the correct response, no lag at all.

Here is a video showing the response on the hardware monitor.

Hardware Monitor.mp4

Hello Hardhat068, other than just the correct function of the hardware you could also check the channel settings see the final output being sent from the groundstation to the aircraft.
Ideally nothing should be out of place in there, but then again if everything was ok you wouldn't be having these problems.

Anyway, you want to tap at channel settings and on the right side of the screen tap on the right side CH1-Thr and CH2-Ail.

Since I don't know if you are experienced with the ST16 or the Typhoon H I must warn: Be very careful not to edit anything just yet! It is very easy and very dangerous to edit and/or mix channels and have very nasty undesired things happen during flight (e.g. refer to this thread In flight failure an example of mid-air motor shutdown caused by mixed channels)

This is the way CH1 screen should look: (note the linear ascending red graph on the middle labeled J1, this is your Elevation)
st16_ch1.png

This is how the CH2 screen should look: (note the linear ascending red graph on the middle labeled J2, this is your Yaw)
st16_ch2.png

Anything different on the graphs could be the source of your problem.
You can also test the left stick (vertical for CH1 and horizontal for CH2) to check what is being sent to the aircraft (note that both of these values don't reach a final output of 100% by default)

In case of doubt I believe you can reset the default channel settings, I'm not sure what's the actual procedure to reset, though.

Hope this helps!

Greetings!

Hello Hardhat068, other than just the correct function of the hardware you could also check the channel settings see the final output being sent from the groundstation to the aircraft.
Ideally nothing should be out of place in there, but then again if everything was ok you wouldn't be having these problems.

Anyway, you want to tap at channel settings and on the right side of the screen tap on the right side CH1-Thr and CH2-Ail.

Since I don't know if you are experienced with the ST16 or the Typhoon H I must warn: Be very careful not to edit anything just yet! It is very easy and very dangerous to edit and/or mix channels and have very nasty undesired things happen during flight (e.g. refer to this thread In flight failure an example of mid-air motor shutdown caused by mixed channels)

This is the way CH1 screen should look: (note the linear ascending red graph on the middle labeled J1, this is your Elevation)
st16_ch1.png

This is how the CH2 screen should look: (note the linear ascending red graph on the middle labeled J2, this is your Yaw)
st16_ch2.png

Anything different on the graphs could be the source of your problem.
You can also test the left stick (vertical for CH1 and horizontal for CH2) to check what is being sent to the aircraft (note that both of these values don't reach a final output of 100% by default)

In case of doubt I believe you can reset the default channel settings, I'm not sure what's the actual procedure to reset, though.

Hope this helps!

Greetings!
Thank you for this. Your first photo is correct, and my Final Output reaches 80% on the right and 19% on the left in turtle mode. In rabbit, output is 100% and -1%. All of this is starting at 50%.

I think your 2nd photo is not correct. The channel function output is Rud for J2. The Final Output I am seeing is 47% (from 0%) pulling the stick to the left, and -48% (from 0&) pulling the stick to the right. That is with the slider in turtle mode. In full rabbit mode, output is 78% and -79%. The other thing that is interesting is the rate curve. It is not a straight diagonal, but horizontally flat from the center point in both directions, then bends down on the left side and up on the right side. I will post a photo separately.

Whoops, my bad; I'm doing this remotely as currently I don't have my H at hand. But yes, it was CH4 sorry. The smooth curve near 0 shouldnt be of concern, although as I mentioned I cannot check if that's the default curve for CH4

You could create a new model on the ST16 for your aircraft to get the default settings and test if it still has a dull response on throttle and yaw.

Greetings!

Whoops, my bad; I'm doing this remotely as currently I don't have my H at hand. But yes, it was CH4 sorry. The smooth curve near 0 shouldnt be of concern, although as I mentioned I cannot check if that's the default curve for CH4

You could create a new model on the ST16 for your aircraft to get the default settings and test if it still has a dull response on throttle and yaw.

Greetings!
Thanks Jules. I just did what you suggested, and it looks like the rate curve for J2 is default. Same as the picture above. Haven't flown with it yet, but I don't expect anything different.

Hmmmmm. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to be, and I am just not noticing really minor movement on the TH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval