Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

End of Life - Phantom 4 & 5

Reaction score
As known, the Phantom 4 models were stopped. Except for the Phantom 4 RTK model that will continue within the Enterprise category.
It now appears the Phantom 5 has been canceled with the model gap being spread between Mavic 2 and Inspire 2.
The Project Mgr over the Phantom 5 has been moved to different project.

The Mavic 2 lineup is expected to be expanded to include a Global / Rolling Shutter to replace the Phantom 4 in Mapping / Geo work.

I've personally never owned any generation of Phantom.
How many had a Phantom in Inventory, or started with a Phantom?

Although, I'd consider adding used P4P to my Inventory now if used prices take a fall.

Last edited:
If the Mavic 2 line is to be expanded to include a Global shutter 1" Camera for mapping.
I wonder if this camera would be a drop-in like the Zoom & 1" models or dedicated like the M2E Dual?
If offered as an upgradable option, ponder if a new mount would be provided to permit easier swaps.

I have both the Zoom & 1" cameras and although not an intended hot swap, only takes 5 minutes to swap with full Firmware support provided for each camera. The micro connector isn't intended for routine disconnects, but if you lift up and not prey, it'll easily take 1000 plus disconnects.

Doug,

DJI, with few exceptions, has not been noted for releasing “drop in” hardware to upgrade previous releases. Their SOP is to release a new model incorporating minor upgrades to capture much greater revenue. Backwards compatibility is not their strong suit.

I’m glad that the phantom will no longer be marketed, except for the RTK. I don’t like the looks of it. I sold mine after the release of the M2P. 2 of my VOs are flying M2P they are new has has not really noticed the anomaly of a bad FW due to the Litchi App.

Two things from DJI “Scout in the box” and Consumer HEX.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Doug,

DJI, with few exceptions, has not been noted for releasing “drop in” hardware to upgrade previous releases. Their SOP is to release a new model incorporating minor upgrades to capture much greater revenue. Backwards compatibility is not their strong suit.
Very True for the consumer platforms, but if the M2 is to fill multiple positions... hopefully upgradability would be optional similar to the upgrades available to the Inspire 1v1 to I1v2 with upgraded X5 gimbal mount, multiple cameras, props and upgraded motors... that after I1v2 release offered a v1 to v2 upgrade kit. The multiple upgrades for M100 series or M600 series.

Although as with other "unofficial" upgrades, don't need to be factory offered if parts become available. Similar to the M2 Zoom camera, not meant to be a drop-in but parts availability provides DIY upgrades or swapping. If they released a new 1" camera, hopefully camera & FW would be compatible with existing M2's.

Last edited:
I’m glad that the phantom will no longer be marketed, except for the RTK. I don’t like the looks of it. I sold mine after the release of the M2P. 2 of my VOs are flying M2P they are new has has not really noticed the anomaly of a bad FW due to the Litchi App.

Two things from DJI “Scout in the box” and Consumer HEX.
ROFL... I thought I was shallow but you spoke the words... I just never liked the Phantom and it's looks. Realize that's not the driving variable to use or not use... but with other options, just never liked the Phantom.

I too continue to get little nibbles of a small platform Hex, max payload a MFT.

Ya, I'm not rolling a tear for the Phantom loss.

Apparently DJI denies that they are being discontinued, and says the 5 was never in the works. I don't own, and will never own a DJI product. I just happened to see this article when I opened my browser.

Oh oh... another controversy to unravel! Wonder if we can fit it into the media with all the other ones!

I've personally never owned any generation of Phantom.
How many had a Phantom in Inventory, or started with a Phantom?

Although, I'd consider adding used P4P to my Inventory now if used prices take a fall.
No ones going to admit to owning or flying a Phantom... Ummm?

Not a bit sad. Like watching an iconic automobile you never cared for rust into the ground. Thank you for your service, now move over and let's get the new stuff. Imho the Phantom is akin to a 2001 Honda Civic that they keep putting 2018 parts into hoping to keep it relevant. When compared to it's stablemates, it looks like an old Honda Civic too.

Reactions: Dougcjohn and RPR
Not a bit sad. Like watching an iconic automobile you never cared for rust into the ground. Thank you for your service, now move over and let's get the new stuff. Imho the Phantom is akin to a 2001 Honda Civic that they keep putting 2018 parts into hoping to keep it relevant. When compared to it's stablemates, it looks like an old Honda Civic too.

Hahaha.. well said... And it’s like watching the Rocky movie that after awhile you wish that someone would knock Rocky out to get it over with.

I wonder if the fact that the "iconic" Phantom is the universal bad drone graphic used my the media for every drone incident had any bearing on this decision. It is a huge whole in their line. I loathe their nanny state attitude with respect to unlocking their product.

So buh-by. No tears shed here.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
No ones going to admit to owning or flying a Phantom... Ummm?
Only 1 walks the plate of Shame in the group! Nah!! The most iconic, loved & hated drone. I’d wager over 1/2 this forum started, sampled or garaged the Phantom. Difficult to be so strong against such a fine piece of history without experience. Come’on Share your event with the ‘ole gal... no judgement.

I at least drove the Fix-Or-Repair-Daily before casting the 1st Chevy stone!

Reactions: Jal7884
Only 1 walks the plate of Shame in the group! Nah!! The most iconic, loved & hated drone. I’d wager over 1/2 this forum started, sampled or garaged the Phantom. Difficult to be so strong against such a fine piece of history without experience. Come’on Share your event with the ‘ole gal... no judgement.

I at least drove the Fix-Or-Repair-Daily before casting the 1st Chevy stone!
I started with a Phantom 2 Vision. Crashed it badly and thought it would be a write-off so I got a Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Crashed that too so I decided to try and repair the original P2V. After a lot of work I managed to repair the P2V so well that it flew better than it ever did, so I had a go at repairing the P2V+. That went well too. Moving forward when I got my H480 at the beginning of June 2016 I decided to retire that original P2V but I still regularly fly my P2V+ to this day. An easy aircraft to fly but my H480 looks far better in the air.

My H480 is my go-to aircraft for commercial stuff but my Phantom is still good for the odd task when the job calls for it.

Nowt wrong with my P2V+. The H480 is far superior at many levels but, for me, the P2V+ still has it's uses.

Now I'll hide under a rock and hang myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone