Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Engines keep running after crash - whatch out !!!

Reaction score
I had some serious injuries after my H520 lightly crashed, but the motors were not cutoff. Whatch out what you do in such situation.
I had a rotor hurting my finger. It was not turning, but, while lifting the drone, it started.

Be very carefull and, weir gloves, or, let it deplete it's battery to be sure !

I will not provide you any pictures as they would be retracted (horror) :)

@Yuneec. Please make your engines to be cutoff after whatever failure, as they are unpredictable and results in a very dangerous situation. I don't want to think of a child finding a Yuneec H520 that has crashed and still operational in this unpredictable state.

PS : Retracting the battery is also a solution, but not very easy, as you have to slide your hands between the properellars. The on-off button did not work either.

Reactions: arruntus
Thank you very much for informing us. I hope you recover soon.

Seems like its a common problem, I had very similar situation described here: H520 crash - ST16s freeze error

The second problem is that when the drone was hanging on the tree, the motors were not spinning untill I touch the drone - it just literally "woke up" and started the motors when I tried to bring it down. I could not disarm the motors - I tried red button in manual/angle/RTL mode but there were notifications "crash detected - can not disarm motors" - its not a joke. So I had to turn it off via the main button on the drone canopy which was not easy but somehow I did it.

Hope Yuneec support can see this theard.
Cheers

PS. @arruntus I forget to reply to you in thread above, so my answer is I had everything up to date :)

The idea is not to wear welder's gloves with the H520. It would be a matter of fixing the fault.

With programming can be easily corrected by making a control of few parameters, % accelerator, time, etc..

From July to now has passed enough time for them to correct it...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

if motors will not disarm use a tree branch or pole and flip the h520 completely over with the blades on the ground and then pull battery as soon as you can. I had to use that method once when 520 hiccuped and tilted forward stopping the front 2 motors and main shutdown switch on top failed to cut power.

Reactions: BigAl07
Does this procedure not work? It's sort of a clumsy one but one I'd do in a pinch . . .

Yunnec tend to make their motors auto shut off when your happily flying along lol and I don't think anyone at yuneec bother with us once they have our money we are the people they should be listening to as we are using their product their is a few people on here that I would like to see working for yuneec we would have one excellent drone

Awaiting shipping label to send off my typhoon H for repair. Brought craft in for landing and it seemed to have a mind of its own and headed for the fence. cut and held the throttle while holding motor shut down button, motors would not shut down and just drop the craft which was about 2 feet off the ground. It ran into the fence and then finally after which seemed like forever the craft motors finally stopped. I immediately set the craft up for another take off to check operation. It took off and landed ok several times. Then after the 4th time I got the message " motor failure, land craft immediately running in 5 motor mode!. Unit still has a warranty and I sure hope they can resolve the issue since it has had several other problems that required the craft to go in for service. This is the third time! This craft spends more time riding UPS than actual flight time. Just wanted to chime in. Have this fear that it will someday just take off and never come back!

Well now I've seen this happen and can confirm that H520 can keep its rotors (or at least those which are still operative) spinning after crash. I cant yet tell how much this was pilot error or what else there might have happened. Fact is that the **** bird flew straight into a long pine and is sitting there on some short branch somewhere about 15-20 meters above ground. It decided to crash there in an almost unbelievable speed when I was trying to make and upload a ROI mission for testing. Connection was alive and I was able to stop propellers running and took also couple pictures before shutting down ST16. As far as I know there's no way to shut down H520 so no matter how bad hits it has taken the battery is probably dead already; it is now three hours since it decided to get there and I'm still waiting for a guy who has the tools to climb and retrieve it.

Ah, edit that. Decided to try and test it and went trying for a connestion with ST16 and it is still alive at 36%. We do still have a surveillance camera alive on the tree. Bugger

That's too bad, mate. Sorry.

I'm thinking that maybe they've set it up so that in case of a crash situation, the drone can still recover and not end up in a "deadly" fall.

That's too bad, mate. Sorry.

I'm thinking that maybe....

One potential flaw to your “thinking,” arruntus... if the pilot wants the motors off, the motors should be shut off no matter what.

The problem seems to be, following a very abnormal “landing,” we no longer have the capability to immediately shut down the engines.

I had this happen with a simple tip over event. Eventually the engines stopped, but I have no idea what sequence of button pushing, stick movement, et al actually stopped the motors, or if I had anything to do with them stopping in the first place.

Jeff

Last edited:
If acumulator drops below 5% H520 should automatically shut down.

Edit: if now kill switch procedure: long red button press not working?

One potential flaw to your “thinking,” arruntus... if the pilot wants the motors off, the motors should be shut off no matter what.

The problem seems to be, following a very abnormal “landing,” we no longer have the capability to immediately shut down the engines.

I had this happen with a simple tip over event. Eventually the engines stopped, but I have no idea what sequence of button pushing, stick movement, et al actually stopped the motors, or if I had anything to do with them stopping in the first place.

Jeff

is not my "thinking", that's why I put "they", and in this case I mean Yuneec. Of course I prefer that it do what I tell him, I'm the pilot and I want to have maximum control over what the drone does as long as I can and let me do it safely.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
is not my "thinking", that's why I put "they", and in this case I mean Yuneec. Of course I prefer that it do what I tell him, I'm the pilot and I want to have maximum control over what the drone does as long as I can and let me do it safely.

I edited my reply to highlight exactly what I was referring to.

Maybe something was lost in translation?

No worries, regardless.

Jeff

This could be easily accomplished if there was a failsafe type of setting where the motors (not engines) would shut down after a certain time period of no signal from the TX. That period would have to be long enough to allow for RTL under normal flight situations, but I think it could be done.

Reactions: arruntus
We must remember that it would actually be stupid if this bird would stop propellers instantly after any collision since it is or as they claim will be able to fly with even four rotors working. We got the bird down and on the plus side is that the battery was still at 25% so it is still in the game. one propellerarm fully broken, another fractured, one landinggear and the pad above it torn off and the E90's antenna has fallen off. Two propellers have been demolished totally off leaving only their centerpieces on ad two other are broken. Some more damage may be found when inspected properly. I'm quite ready to leave that **** thing for someone other's duty and pain when repaired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin