Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ESC repair?

CraigCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Can it be done or am I ordering a new main board? I’ve got one of my 480s with #2 front right B motor getting no power even to LED. GUI shows ESC failure. It seems it’s all surface mount. I don’t see any obvious burns on IC chips and suspect it’s the regulating resistor that’s tiny.

New board going to be needed here. even if it could be repaired a underlying issue could have caused the esc to go out.

Can it be done or am I ordering a new main board? I’ve got one of my 480s with #2 front right B motor getting no power even to LED. GUI shows ESC failure. It seems it’s all surface mount. I don’t see any obvious burns on IC chips and suspect it’s the regulating resistor that’s tiny.
I noticed some of the main boards have a small ceramic fuse for each ESC. It might be worthwhile to see if yours has it and if it's blown. As I recall it's on the bottom side of the board.

ESC_fuse.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunit
Look at the FET on the esc to, i have fixed other esc in the past by doing this, its worth a try, good luck.

Great news. I’ve fixed the camera power before because of the resistor so I’ll pull the board and inspect that bottom. My studio engineer is a good tech and he’s helped me fix many small parts over the years.

I’m not finding a fuse unfortunately. For sure the dead motor shows no blue led on the board. The obvious places pass continuity test. It looks like I’m getting a good replacement board as the solution.

I should I was just offering it to him,as he looked like he was in need of one I have several extra parts thanks

Reactions: Steve Carr
I’m not finding a fuse unfortunately. For sure the dead motor shows no blue led on the board. The obvious places pass continuity test. It looks like I’m getting a good replacement board as the solution.
Are sure you want to buy a used board? you don't know what your getting. im in the same situation no power to cam.so i think i might go though vender and eat the 130.00

Are sure you want to buy a used board? you don't know what your getting. im in the same situation no power to cam.so i think i might go though vender and eat the 130.00
Most of the boards sold on eBay are removed from crashed aircraft and most crashes are caused by pilot error rather than a failure. So I suspect they will not be defective. But it's always possible to get a bad one. Ebay does have a pretty decent refund policy.

Steve,

Crashes under power tend to be hard on the ESC’s controlling the motors that hit the ground. There’s a brief but considerable current surge through them when a motor being commanded to a power level is suddenly stopped be an external object. Electric motors tend to demand an increase in power when they are obstructed. Personally, I would never buy a used power board with integrated ESC’s.

Most of the boards sold on eBay are removed from crashed aircraft and most crashes are caused by pilot error rather than a failure. So I suspect they will not be defective. But it's always possible to get a bad one. Ebay does have a pretty decent refund policy.

well mine fell out of the sky because the ground crew did not install the battery all the way. needless to say i fired them. everything works except no power to cam. i've seen what they call good working boards for 80-100 on ebay . i figure i'm save buy a new board with guarantee for 130.00 is safer . wish you luck with your choice

Reactions: Steve Carr
I bought that board from a fellow forum member and it’s fine. I even got a second flight control board no charge. Carolina Dronz parts out 480s and they often have new boards in stock. Pat R states he wouldn’t buy IC ESCs but isn’t that what we are stuck with? I could not see a repairable ESC on our H so it does seem it’s only fixed with whole board replacement.

I would not buy a used IC ESC. As I’ve had to replace damaged high end ESC’s on home builts after relatively minor crashes under power I have no reason to think ESC’s incorporated into consumer level, mass production systems are any more robust than products from Castle or T-Motor. I’ve also seen many UAV’s crash on a flight after electrical components were obtained from a crashed UAV to “save money” were used to “fix” another. At $300,000.00 to $450,000.00 a unit it didn’t take long to prohibit the re-use of crashed electronics.

I’m pleased to read the one obtained from another user worked out well but that was a $1000.00 gamble on a $30.00 bet.

Last edited:
Kavservice determined a problem with my ECS board and they replaced it with a new one. I guess repairs would have not been cost effective for them? They didn't share what exactly was wrong though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval