Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Even experienced pilots can crash!

Reaction score
Hopefully this will help people new to drones and new Typhoon H owners. The H is an excellent drone. I love it. I've been flying/racing drones for years. After a great day of careful flying I had my first crash at a new location and it was entirely my fault. I have definitely learned my lesson and it could have been avoided. Like a smart pilot I usually fly my H in large wide open areas but I found a new beautiful city park right next to the bay that I knew would provide some beautiful shots of the water and beach. It wasn't as wide open as my previous flying locations and it had palm trees all around it and a fairly open area in the middle. It was about the size of a soccer filed surrounded by Palm trees on all sides with the beach right on the other side of the trees.
Here's what happened. I was on my 4th and last battery for the day and wanted to try out the CCC mode (for the 1st time). I programed one of my flight points to hover about 30ft in front of a group of palm trees so my H could peek through and look at the water. I hit "start" and my H took off to the various flight points as it should. After watching it go through the points I felt pretty confident. As it continued its flight pattern I saw it go toward the point that I set up to hover (in front) of the palm trees. As it made its way toward the trees. Assuming it would soon slow down or stop, I took my eyes off my H and looked down at the controller screen for just a second. All of a sudden I herd what sounded like an electric weed whacker cutting tree branches. I quickly looked up but it was already too late. My H had clipped one of the large tree leaves and threw it self hard into a nearby wooden fence. As I walked toward the wreckage I already knew it was not good. My H was sitting in the grass with the camera/gimble broken off the bottom mount.
Here's the lesson's I learned:

1. Never ever, ever take your eyes off your drone especially when next to objects, trees ,etc.
2. Always,always fly in an area wide open as possible with the least amount of trees, power lines, ect. The less things you have to maneuver around or avoid. The less chance of a crash.
3. Your H has obstacle avoidance for a reason...use it. (whenever possible)
4. Never use any of the Adv. modes (orbit me,CCC,etc) useless you are absolutely, positivly sure you have plenty of open space and clearance in case your H gets close to any objects.
5. The damage: broken gimble mount/wires, front camera lens holder broken, cracked top shell, 2 broken rotors, inoperable landing gear, and a bruised ego. Hopefully the repairs won't cost a fortune.
Hope this helps to keep everyone on their toes. Have fun, fly save, fly smart! :)

Last edited:
Hopefully this will help people new to drones and new Typhoon H owners. The H is an excellent drone. I love it. I've been flying/racing drones for years. After a great day of careful flying I had my first crash at a new location and it was entirely my fault. I have definitely learned my lesson and it could have been avoided. Like a smart pilot I usually fly my H in large wide open areas but I found a new beautiful city park right next to the bay that I knew would provide some beautiful shots of the water and beach. It wasn't as wide open as my previous flying locations and it had palm trees all around but it and a fairly open area in the middle. It was about the size of a soccer filed surrounded by Palm trees on all sides with the beach right on the other side of the trees.
Here's what happened. I was on my 4th and last battery for the day and wanted to try out the CCC mode (for the 1st time). I programed one of my flight points to hover about 30ft in front of a group of palm trees so my H could peek through and look at the water. I hit "start" and my H took off to the various flight points as it should. After watching it go through the points I felt pretty confident. As it continued its flight pattern I saw it go toward the point that I set up to hover (in front) of the palm trees. As it made its way toward the trees. Assuming it would soon slow down or stop, I took my eyes off my H and looked down at the controller screen for just a second. All of a sudden I herd what sounded like an electric weed whacker cutting tree branches. I quickly looked up but it was already too late. My H had clipped one of the large tree leaves and threw it self hard into a nearby wooden fence. As I walked toward the wreckage I already knew it was not good. My H was sitting in the grass with the camera/gimble broken off the bottom mount.
Here's the lesson's I learned:

1. Never ever, ever take your eyes off your drone especially when next to objects, trees ,etc.
2. Always,always fly in an area wide open as possible with the least amount of trees, power lines, ect. The less things you have to maneuver around or avoid. The less chance of a crash.
3. Your H has obstacle avoidance for a reason...use it. (whenever possible)
4. Never use any of the Adv. modes (orbit me,CCC,etc) useless you are absolutely, positivly sure you have plenty of open space and clearance in case your H gets close to any objects.
5. The damage: broken gimble mount/wires, front camera lens holder broken, cracked top shell, 2 broken rotors, inoperable landing gear, and a bruised ego. Hopefully the repairs won't cost a fortune.
Hope this helps to keep everyone on their toes. Have fun, fly save, fly smart! :)

Ouch! I will surely keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch, yeah, that's rough. From the way this started I thought you may have experienced 'dumb thumbs', but no, just a moments inattention. My biggest problem is 'dumb thumbs' when I'm full manual. I'm getting better with practice but these drones do so much I tend to forget how to fly.

Reactions: yerrickl
Same here! I just had mine serviced due to a faulty controller and gps. But for the longest I was flying it. Now that's it's fixed I have to relearn it! It stupid responsive now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other members can comment on this, but I see no reason you cannot repair these items yourself. I'm not sure about the "front cam lens holder". Is that the main camera? Is the RealSense assembly OK? The parts are available from C. Dronz (talk to Frank). Only Yuneec can repair the RealSense as far as I know (they repaired one of mine).

YouTube videos show how to take the drone apart, do this and that.

A chance for a good learning experience. Best of luck.

the CCC-mode can be tricky because the height is not absolute accurate and for the curves are to curvy...i would love if they put in update an adjustment how strong curves are build or we can take it off for direct waypoints

Reactions: Jester

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech