Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Explanation

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how the communication works?
The drone has a WiFi on 5ghz but if I don't start the WiFi on the cellphone, it still shows camera image on it. How?
What's the point with the WiFi-network the drone has?
Also the 5ghz is not as good as the 2,4ghz when it comes to range. Why go for 5ghz?
How do I do to get the camera view in a couple of vr-glasses.
What glasses should I buy?

That's a lot of complicated questions to be asking in a single post :)

So I'll give you the really short answer. 2.4 GHz is better for your control signal because of its greater range and penetration.
Yet it is poor for video because it is interference/lag-prone and you don't want video and control signals sharing the same frequencies ideally.
5.8 GHz is used for FPV video for legacy / compatibility reasons, and because it is better suited to that purpose (better interference rejection / less lag) despite its lesser range and penetration abilities (not good through lots of vegetation for example). Most FPV goggles you can buy now work in this range.

This page explains in more detail.

Also worth mentioning that most countries have VLoS rule of some sort that makes use of FPV goggles illegal unless you have a dedicated spotter with you who can maintain that visual contact while you wear the headset.

Last edited:
Reactions: biltno and Lars
Thanks.
In Sweden though, you still need permit to use a spotter. I was thinking of using it to my co-pilot. ?
But the problem is with sky view, it has HDMI and doesn't work with mantis.

When the connection was lost with the camera at 156m! it started rth. That's why I'm not sure how to bond WiFi, with cell or controller.
Cheers
Edit. Read the info of the link and it was good but I need the specifics about how the mantis works.
Should I bind the cell against the drone, (does it rth when video stops?) or should I let the controller feed the cell with video?
Why is it optional?
How can I get the connection to camera in both cell and goggles.
PS. I have studied the laws of Sweden intensely and flight areas, both airspace and the animal habitats so I don't need any info about those parts thanks.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me how the communication works?
The drone has a WiFi on 5ghz but if I don't start the WiFi on the cellphone, it still shows camera image on it. How?
What's the point with the WiFi-network the drone has?
Also the 5ghz is not as good as the 2,4ghz when it comes to range. Why go for 5ghz?
How do I do to get the camera view in a couple of vr-glasses.
What glasses should I buy?

Hi,

The controller connects with its own wifi internal module, and uses the phone and app to display video, data and some controls (not flying controls). In this mode you don't need phone's wifi. Phone's wifi/data are only used to download firmware updates and send them to the controller by cable (BTW, phone's GPS is used only to show pilot's position).

If you don't use the controller, phone's wifi must be on, and connected to the Mantis Q. In this mode, you will see virtual joysticks, and get no more than 30-40 meters range.

5 GHz wifi has less range, but more bandwidth to carry both video stream and telemetry and control streams. They did it this way for economy. The new Mantis G will use 2.4 GHz for telemetry and control for a better range, and 5 GHz for video stream.

Mantis Q acts as a wifi AP, only accepts one control device (first connected), but is capable of several devices connected, and several video streams on them on rtsp://192.168.42.1:554/live (sharing bandwidth, that reduces max. range available)

You can use a rapsberry pi and HDMI googles to get a FPV experience, using a second video stream in a 5 GHz wifi connection, but it will reduce the max range available. You don't have direct 5.8 GHz video FPV availble without performing hardware modifications.

Reactions: ctdx1 and Lars

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss