Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA & DJI

Reaction score
I love my Typhoon H's but if the FAA gets their way and we have to use the Remote ID, Looks like the only thing flying will be DJI's or our Breeze and Mantis drones (under the 0.55 weight limit). I am wondering if DJI isn't funding this to become the only UAV system that you can "Legally" fly in the U.S.?

The Breeze and the Mantis Q/G are not sub 250g (0.55lb) aircraft and would have to comply with RID. Though some claim that some DJI aircraft will comply with the standard, it won’t be possible as written without approval of the FAA and each aircraft would have to be sent in and certified by DJI in order to comply.

To meet the regs as written the aircraft and controller would have to be tamper proof and the proper labeling applied to both the AC and controller, plus any modifications needed to be able to meet the Standard or Restricted RID connection and transmission methods.

The best method I know of to put the bite in everything is to refuse to buy anything else until all of this is settled. Take the money out their pockets and the manufacturers will start screaming their fool heads off. That goes for all drone manufacturers!!!!

Last edited:
I suspect the above is why DJI developed the Mavic Mini.
It's a safe bet that most manufacturers are working on clones of the Mini.

The entire basis of drone flight data tracking, data retention, user registration, and remote ID was the brain child of DJI as they developed and implemented them years before there was any government interest. Since the development DJI has been actively engaged with governments attempting to lobby governments to incorporate DJI flight restriction and flight data processes into international aviation law, using the legislative process to achieve a software/hardware monopoly. They had an easy time getting the EU and UK to take the bait but have run into a bit of a wall in the U.S.

Yer people keep buying their stuff...

It's not 100% certain UK will follow EASA rules, the government did say the do not want any alignment with any EU regulations, perhaps the CAA will mirror or just cherry pick, they did abandon the flight prior notification, as it was too difficult to implement, a lot of areas still don't have sufficient cell phone reception, more will become apparent over the months, there are so many conflicting articles it's difficult to see a positive way forward.
The UK withdraws completely from the EASA system on 1 January 2021, meaning that the CAA will need to fulfil regulatory functions without having EASA as a technical agent and without having access to EASA and EU-level capabilities. The UK is no longer included in EU-level Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreements. CE markings won't apply in theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
I love my Typhoon H's but if the FAA gets their way and we have to use the Remote ID, Looks like the only thing flying will be DJI's or our Breeze and Mantis drones (under the 0.55 weight limit). I am wondering if DJI isn't funding this to become the only UAV system that you can "Legally" fly in the U.S.?

It's a thought but I doubt
it.

And would this also apply to RC planes and Helicopters? Not everyone flies just drones or flies strictly for work. While DJI may be lobbying for this, I'd think their time would be better spent not aggressively tracking and controlling all their drones. Don't they want US Govt contracts and sales? It seems Yuneec does and recognizes anonymity, especially as it pertains to tracking drones purchased by the US Govt.

From what I can tell Yuneec is just interested in selling drones. Once you've bought it you're on your own. DJI on the other hand seems to want to micro manage and control your purchase cradle to grave, preferably grave so they can sell you another high priced and future paper weight. Through their actions it seems to me DJI treats sales more like a software purchase where the buyer is simply entitled through their purchase to use their drone/intellectual property until they, DJI rescinds it.

GW,

It applies to all remotely piloted aircraft under 55lbs down to 255 grams. Doesn’t matter what it is or how it’s used.

Good question and one I don’t have all the answers to. The FAA had excluded tethered balloons and kites from drone regulations but I have not read anything relative to directional flights directly controlled through wires.

If there was ever any doubt about DJI's attempt to eliminate competition by leveraging the FAA, it's very clear in their latest video. Previously they had said they did not support an app available to the general public that would show the pilots location or identification. Their own video tells a different story.

You notice they talk about a simple firmware update well no chance in **** yuneec will make that happen they have already forgotten about the H-pro and earlier models

As a UAV pilot for the local EMA, S&R, the Drone to Phone would be the best solution for me, If the FAA passes the Remote ID legislation. Yuneec is going to have a bunch of Pi$$ed off owners if they don't come up with a firmware update or some low cost way for us to become compliant.

Trust me when I tell you they really don’t give a rip. The only thing they want is more money out of your pocket. They aren’t making the RID rules and could care less if their present aircraft are compliant or not. The same goes for every other drone manufacturer out there. The ones that want to stay in business will develop new models that will be compliant, but not until the actual specifics are in place. The cost of retrofitting will likely be too high to even consider that option.

Right now the burden is on each of us to speak up by replying to the NPRM. Whining about Yuneec or any other brand won’t get the job done. If the NPRM passes in its present form, your only recourse will be to boycott drone delivery of goods, until the regs get changed back in our favor. That will be nigh to impossible once corporate influence has won.

Well said Doom.

I think a lot of people believe drone manufacturers care about their customer base. They don’t as their only concern is how much money can be extracted from them. That is maximized by selling new units, not upgrading old units.

Those that have been actively engaged with drone tech and manufacturer business practices for a few years have seen the blatant evidence of DJI’s interference in government regulatory processes AND DJI’s attempts to undermine every competitor’s release of new products. DJI will cause harm to any competitor any way they can, up to and including driving them out of business by cutting product prices below cost whenever a new product release occurs with another manufacturer. Massive product negativity campaigns (including slander) are mounted on every social media outlet.

The RID NPRM goes a long way towards giving DJI an early monopoly of consumer drone distribution as no other maker employs such invasive or restrictive software, software designed and intended to sway legislators to pass laws mandating incorporation of controls to restrict users.

At the moment far too many people are much too concerned about what new toy they should buy next, or which is better. None of that matters as three years from now they won’t be able to fly anything costing less than $10k+ as everything they had been sold will be grounded for lack of an ID system. Forget about the new toys and focus on defeating RID, as the acronym is exactly what will be done with us if we fail.

"......as everything they had been sold will be grounded for lack of an ID system."
And how do they plan to enforce this???
[/QUOTE]
Exactly. They can't enforce the regs they have now. I suspect they are counting on Law Enforcement to patrol and enforce FAA rules. That will be laughable.

The FAA creates a 107 regulation it can't enforce, so the next step is to create a regulation that prohibits flying (unless you're Amazon).
I don't see a problem, do you?

And how do they plan to enforce this???
Exactly. They can't enforce the regs they have now. I suspect they are counting on Law Enforcement to patrol and enforce FAA rules. That will be laughable.

The FAA creates a 107 regulation it can't enforce, so the next step is to create a regulation that prohibits flying (unless you're Amazon).
I don't see a problem, do you?
[/QUOTE]
I see a market for Amazon and UPS uniforms we just put one on, anybody asks " Hey were delivering parcels"

How might they enforce? Using the media to barrage the public about the “dangers” of “unauthorized” drone use, encouraging the public to report people seen flying drones to local law enforcement, is a distinct possibility.

The feds and corporate aerospace have already done a great job of demonizing private drone use while praising corporate/government drone ops in the next breath. Gatwick is an extremely visible example. The general public is just too stupid to recognize the only people getting killed by drones are being killed with government drones made by the same outfits that will be operating in civilian airspace.

Recreational drones are not the bad guy but they are being vilified as a means to promoting government and large corporate interests. Delivery of packages is not even close to what all this stuff is about. The real goal is to incorporate drones in civilian airspace to keep better track of you through multiple agencies.

Power and control, with personal information used to obtain more power and control.

How might they enforce? Using the media to barrage the public about the “dangers” of “unauthorized” drone use, encouraging the public to report people seen flying drones to local law enforcement, is a distinct possibility.

The feds and corporate aerospace has already done s great hob of demonizing private drone use while praising corporate/government drone ops in the next breath. The general public is just too stupid to recognize the only people getting killed by drones are being killed with government drones made by the same outfits that will be operating in civilian airspace.

Recreational drones are not the bad guy but they are being vilified as a means to promoting government and large corporate interests. Delivery of packages is not even close to what all this stuff is about. The real goal is to incorporate drones in civilian airspace to keep better track of you through multiple agencies.

Power and control, with personal information used to obtain more power and control.
We don't need drones to spy on us here, it's already big brother, don't know what it's like in the states.

As I mentioned before, my son a Police Officer said "having us to enforce drone laws ain't gonna happen, there are to many other priorities." ?‍♂️
True they don't even turn up to a burglary here, give you an incident number and maybe turn up next day, and very short on numbers the local police station is miles away here, we have seen
major cuts to the Police force here, some stations have had only two officers on duty in extreme circumstances, serving an area of 100. 000 people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval