Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA license

I used the ASA course, very comprehensive. They also do regular pilot training.

You don't get a license. You get a certificate.

Thanks for posting that. The last time I posted that it's a certificate and not a license I had everyone throwing a fit at me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls it a certificate instead of a license.

Can someone clarify advantages of being certified over registered?.. If I'm not looking at a drone piloting career, is there any point in certification?... My main purpose is (and probably will remain) to shoot video... Would certified give me more freedom (location access)?

Can someone clarify advantages of being certified over registered?.. If I'm not looking at a drone piloting career, is there any point in certification?... My main purpose is (and probably will remain) to shoot video... Would certified give me more freedom (location access)?

Pardon my ignorance here but I believe if you are just shooting video for a hobby, you don't need it but if you do it for hire, it's required.

Reactions: Peeta
Thanks... That's what i was aware of.. Just wondering if any other benefits for non pros

Biggest benefit for non-pros is if you live nearby an uncontrolled airport, you don't have to notify them. You're just restricted to uncontrolled airspace, not the 5 miles from any airport rule.

I self studied to pass my test. All of the info and materials can be found on the FAA website and there are a lot of really good sources of info on YouTube. At the time I felt that saving a few hundred dollars was worth a try, and as it tuned out it was.

Some clarification to the rules about flying commercially (USA)

Getting certified as a UAV pilot allows you to fly commercially as long as you stay within the rules framework of part 107 and/or the older 333 depending on which is held. However, holding a commercial certificate does NOT require you to fly commercially under those rules, all the time. In other words, a 107 holder CAN fly as a hobbyist, as long as you stay within the rules framework of the hobby rules for UAV. The FAA looks at every UAV on a flight by flight basis. So I can, and often do, charge three batteries to go on a commercial shoot. If I get it done with a battery or two still charged, I can fly, under hobby rules, in my back yard or at a local club later that day. Its totally fine.

And in regards to what constitutes "Commercial Flying", remember these five words - In Furtherance Of A Business.

Those five words are key. If any pictures or photos you take are used by anyone - in furtherance of a business - you have flown commercially. Doesn't matter if its not your business or even if you are unaware of doing so, even if you gave it to them with no intent to earn any money directly or just to help a friend, you have flown commercially. Now I don't think the FAA is going to look at everyone flying and scrutinize all their media but for those flyers who make a habit of just making a little extra scratch on the side, they might get caught.

If any pictures or photos you take are used by anyone - in furtherance of a business - you have flown commercially. Doesn't matter if its not your business or even if you are unaware of doing so, even if you gave it to them with no intent to earn any money directly or just to help a friend, you have flown commercially. Now I don't think the FAA is going to look at everyone flying and scrutinize all their media but for those flyers who make a habit of just making a little extra scratch on the side, they might get caught.

This is not exactly accurate. If you fly recreationally and take some photos and later on someone wants to buy the rights to those photos, that is permissible. This situation is addressed on one of the FAA's web pages. I'm trying to find it...

Got a link? Would be interested in seeing what you found on the FAA website in regards to this. As I mentioned I don't think the FAA is going to look at every aerial photo and track down or investigate how it was obtained, that would be impossible. But they do wish to draw a clear line on what they consider commercial flight and it would seem odd that they describe a way someone could do it without being certified.

Got a link? Would be interested in seeing what you found on the FAA website in regards to this. As I mentioned I don't think the FAA is going to look at every aerial photo and track down or investigate how it was obtained, that would be impossible. But they do wish to draw a clear line on what they consider commercial flight and it would seem odd that they describe a way someone could do it without being certified.

It's at Frequently Asked Questions | Know Before You Fly, a joint venture of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the Academy of Model Aeronautics, and the FAA.

Q: I flew my drone for fun but ended up taking a photograph that I was able to sell later. Is this acceptable?
A: Yes, as long as the original intent of the flight was for fun.

In other words, you can't fly around taking photos and videos with the intention of selling prints or rights to them, but if someone later on likes something you took, it's OK to sell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss