Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fairview Park, Costa Mesa CA.

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone in SoCal has flown the H at Fairview Park flying field. I flew my Phantom 4 there a couple years ago without issue. My direct question is how effective is Yuneec’s NFZ . The field is inside five mile radius of John Wayne Airport. Would like to know if I have to modify my H before I spend $60 for a new field permit. Long standing flying field for many years. Seen many drones flown there unmodified to remove flight restrictions. Just two new to Yuneec products to know just how strong there NFZ is.

Tim

Just wondering if anyone in SoCal has flown the H at Fairview Park flying field. I flew my Phantom 4 there a couple years ago without issue. My direct question is how effective is Yuneec’s NFZ . The field is inside five mile radius of John Wayne Airport. Would like to know if I have to modify my H before I spend $60 for a new field permit. Long standing flying field for many years. Seen many drones flown there unmodified to remove flight restrictions. Just two new to Yuneec products to know just how strong there NFZ is.
Tim
What airport is it near?

John Wayne as noted above. (KSNA). At home air map shows me on the very edge of 5 mile radius. So I hoping it’s ok at Fairview which is 1.5 miles east of my home.

John Wayne is in Orange County... that park is only a 1 1/2 miles away from that airport, 3 miles away from some significant Navy yards in Seal Beach and maybe 5 miles from the rather busy shipping terminals in Long Beach... I'd be surprised it would be an area you are going to be able to fly in. When I was doing some training for paragliding in Seal Beach, all we could do was kiting on the ground.

Last edited:
Can you not try the field to see if your H starts up before paying the field permit fee?

John Wayne Airport is in the Yuneec database, so the motors will not start withing 5 miles. If you have a part 107 you can get the firmware modification to remove the NFZ. If you do not, you can request a modification which will limit your altitude to something like 30'.

As I said I have flown phantom 4 there. If your correct then Yuneec has done a better job with NFZ then DJI has. Guess I will go over and see if it starts. This field has been there many years and has an active drone group community from what I’ve seen

Reactions: Steve Carr
You might want to check with the county. IIRC, Orange County prohibited flying RC in county parks a long time ago.

As far as flying near John Wayne Airport, there may well still be an RC soaring club in the immediate area. An amateur might be able to keep it low if they remained clear of the usual approach and departure corridors. Check with the airport management.

Both the airport and the county are the only legitimate authorities that can provide you with accurate and legal answers.

I’m flying recreationally via membership in AMA Complying with CBO requirements. Fairview Park is a longtime city of Costa Mesa sanctutioned flying field requiring a permit. The field is four miles from KSNA. Went up tonight after work. If an NFZ exists the the H does not honor it. Motors start up fine. The whole point of wanting to fly there is to practice. I’m not looking to burn holes thru the sky. I have a specific skill set to learn in order to do roof and insurance inspection in the future. Working on getting my part 107 hopefully by years end, work schedule permitting. The only other city I know of the allows flying in their parks is the city of Irvine. To much of a drive for a half hour of flying. Anywhere else as soon as I take the case out of the trunk of my car, the cops magically appear. Got to love living in Orange County CA.

SoCal has become impossible in many areas to fly... when I was visiting my sister in Camarillo, I would have had to drive up the 14 to around Lancaster to get to a good open area... :eek:

Oh and btw, I have had many conversations with them. Generally the staff is clueless and it’s my understanding the tower will not except calls any longer.
LANNC is starting up here and will make life easier I hope.

I would love to talk with someone from here in OC who is in business for himself or herself and how they are managing with all the conflicting Regulations. Just having your 107 doesn’t seem to solve all the problems I read about in the forums. Over the past two years it seems like the only ones making it in the drone industry are large corporations or media outlets with existing triple 3 exemptions and COA’s

SoCal has become impossible in many areas to fly... when I was visiting my sister in Camarillo, I would have had to drive up the 14 to around Lancaster to get to a good open area... :eek:

Yeah I hear you. That’s why Fairview is my only way to practice even if i’m Bending the rules a little. At least the Cops aren’t going to hassle me.

Oh and btw, I have had many conversations with them. Generally the staff is clueless and it’s my understanding the tower will not except calls any longer.
LANNC is starting up here and will make life easier I hope.

I would love to talk with someone from here in OC who is in business for himself or herself and how they are managing with all the conflicting Regulations. Just having your 107 doesn’t seem to solve all the problems I read about in the forums. Over the past two years it seems like the only ones making it in the drone industry are large corporations or media outlets with existing triple 3 exemptions and COA’s

Perhaps stopping by Hobby People in Fountain Valley could provide more insight. They’ve been a hobby presence in the area since the ‘70’s when they were named Hobby Shack and likely fairly knowledgeable about flying areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox