Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fall from sky? What happened!?!

Reaction score
Went to fly this morning. Did the same stuff and checks I always do. Changed the battery, and calibrated the compass. Took it up about 5 ft but realsense kicked in and it would not let me do anything, so I landed it. Picked it up by hand and walked it to the middle of parking lot. Took off again, as I normally do and flew up about 125 ft. and about 485 ft from my position. Turned it around, switched to sport mode, and flew half way back. Just as I switched to sport mode it said that it lost signal for a sec, but it seemed like it was coming home. It regained connection and stopped at my location as it normally does when you hit the return home switch. I knew something was wrong with the way it came down because it just dropped out of the sky like a brick. It normally comes down slow and careful. This was like it was going full speed straight down. It smashed the camera and the landing gear and damaged a few of the motors and plastics. Probably more damage than I can mention here but I don't wanna look at it. It hurts to look at it and I just bought it. (7/6/18) It happened so fast. My wife looked online and saw that a few people had the same problem but when she showed me the articles, most looked like the older model based on the posting date vs when the PLUS model was released. Why would it do this, and what do I do now? I think I'm still in shock...

Last edited:
First of all - my heartfelt commiserations dude - I know what is like when something this catastrophic happens, and I share with you exactly the same 'can't bear to view the wreckage' afterwards. Nothing I can say will make you feel any better, but even though it might seem like it now, all is not lost. Yuneec will almost certainly replace that for you if you only bought it in Jun and can send them the flight logs and telemetry data, which will presumably show this was not pilot-error.

We'd like to see that telemetry data here as well, so please do zip and upload the relevant files when you get a minute - that way you will get some expert independent analysis. We also need to know which version of the firmware you are running...

Hope you get this sorted quickly and back in the air with a new machine soon...

Last edited:
First of all - my heartfelt commiserations dude - I know what is like when something this catastrophic happens, and I share with you exactly the same 'can't bear to view the wreckage' afterwards. Nothing I can say will make you feel any better, but even though it might seem like it now, all is not lost. Yuneec will almost certainly replace that for you if you only bought it in Jun and can send them the flight logs and telemetry data, which will presumably show this was not pilot-error.

We'd like to see that telemetry data here as well, so please do zip and upload the relevant files when you get a minute - that way you will get some expert independent analysis. We also need to know which version of the firmware you are running...

Hope you get this sorted quickly and back in the air with a new machine soon...

Thank you so much for your reply, I really have to learn how to extracted telemetry data but as it stands I'm not sure how to do that yet. If you think I sound bad you should see my wife. She's trying to console me with a shrimp dinner, but I don't think that will quite do it right now. I'm happy to share whatever I can once I figure out how to get that information, and when I call yuneec tomorrow , we will see what they say.

You're welcome. I could just tell you how to recover the files, but better people than me have already done it :)
A search on this site for the terms 'St-16 telemetry' should find all the threads that tell you exactly how to do this and which files you need...

Crashes always seem worse than they turn out to be , although they are most unfortunate but inevitable. There are some real experts on here that will most certainly help you along with yuneec
Hope everything turns out well

Reactions: DarienR1
***Update**** : Called customer support and they had me go to Yuneec USA | Repair Services and fill out a form. It sent me an RMA and the service rep said they should be sending a UPS shipping label within the day. They also said I would get an email outlining what needed to be done to get the telemetry data. Let's see....

You could do a search here and find your telemetry data and upload it here, so you have some information as to what happened while you wait for your drone to be analyzed by Yuneec, like a second opinion from the doctor

This is what I found in the Telemetry Folder for that day. I opened with the app but not sure how to convert to usable data just yet. Anyway, got the UPS label...sending it back today.

Attachments

• Telemetry Overwatch-1.zip
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
Went to fly this morning. Did the same stuff and checks I always do. Changed the battery, and calibrated the compass. Took it up about 5 ft but realsense kicked in and it would not let me do anything, so I landed it. Picked it up by hand and walked it to the middle of parking lot. Took off again, as I normally do and flew up about 125 ft. and about 485 ft from my position. Turned it around, switched to sport mode, and flew half way back. Just as I switched to sport mode it said that it lost signal for a sec, but it seemed like it was coming home. It regained connection and stopped at my location as it normally does when you hit the return home switch. I knew something was wrong with the way it came down because it just dropped out of the sky like a brick. It normally comes down slow and careful. This was like it was going full speed straight down. It smashed the camera and the landing gear and damaged a few of the motors and plastics. Probably more damage than I can mention here but I don't wanna look at it. It hurts to look at it and I just bought it. (7/6/18) It happened so fast. My wife looked online and saw that a few people had the same problem but when she showed me the articles, most looked like the older model based on the posting date vs when the PLUS model was released. Why would it do this, and what do I do now? I think I'm still in shock...

I posted here when it happened, that I lost my H Plus on it's second short flight. It was hovering 63 off the ground. There was no previous indication that anything was wrong. I see you've followed protocol and probably have your replacement by now. I was also told this was (up to that point) unheard of. ;) I'll be curious to see if you can get the CCC to work. 90% of the time mine either doesn't work at all or it starts to run the route and then stops. That's my next Yuneec CS call. Welcome to Yuneec, he says with a bit of sarcasm. I will say, I love the camera and the way the beast flies. I've not tried the other features such as POI but CCC was a real selling point for me and if it doesn't get corrected I may ask for my money back. Apparently the procedure is to sell them to us will minimal testing and let us test them out, which, IMO, sucks.

Last edited:
I'm sorry; what is the CCC? I just shipped mine today, and shipping is going to take 6 days according to the UPS Guy. Not exactly a speedy recovery here. I've Tried the Follow me and the Circle Me functions but usually, I fly it myself as I know exactly what I wanna see. I'm considering buying an older one for backup in case some craziness like this happens on a paid gig.

I'm sorry; what is the CCC? I just shipped mine today, and shipping is going to take 6 days according to the UPS Guy. Not exactly a speedy recovery here. I've Tried the Follow me and the Circle Me functions but usually, I fly it myself as I know exactly what I wanna see. I'm considering buying an older one for backup in case some craziness like this happens on a paid gig.

Closed Cable Cam. I think it’s a crazy name. It’s where the pilot sets way points and then the drone will fly the route using the GPS and AI in the software. The advantage to that is that it frees you up to operate the gimble in the “global“ position so that you can swing the camera around freely as the drone flies the predetermined route by itself.

Closed Cable Cam. I think it’s a crazy name. It’s where the pilot sets way points and then the drone will fly the route using the GPS and AI in the software. The advantage to that is that it frees you up to operate the gimble in the “global“ position so that you can swing the camera around freely as the drone flies the predetermined route by itself.

Or Curved Cable Cam, which makes more sense ;)

Or Curved Cable Cam, which makes more sense ;)

D'oh. Yeah, well even if I typed it correctly, it's still an odd name. Parrot has a great app with a way point feature that's called Flight Plan. That name makes perfect sense.

Reactions: stan55

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval