Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First post, new to UAS, and a suggestion for the AUX button

Reaction score
Thanks to the powers-that-be for an excellent resource for this wonderful new RC hexacopter with attached remote-controlled camera! (I despise the barstardization of the word "drone" that the media has used ad-nauseum over the past decade or so; to me a drone is a remotely piloted target vehicle, or a sexless worker bee).
Me? Been flying both fixed and rotary winged RC since around 1998ish with a few breaks for mundane things like raising children, divorces, marriages, etc... But I digress...
Got a Typhoon H this past weekend to augment my small division of much-harder-to-fly whirlygigs and balsa bombers. It's very relaxing to be able to take my thumbs away from the stick to swat gnats orbiting my bald cranium, and to almost even be able to see those gnats from the halfway-decent camera attached to the bottom of the RCHWARCC. Not like the T-REX 500 - balancing a pen on the tip of a spindle via remote control... constant movement a must.
Still, it is taking some practice, but all is working fine. The only thing I've had to deal with so far is a flaky heat-sensitive blue element in the status LED on the back of the H... that caused some confusion until I figured out what it was doing. Yuneec seems to have built a GREAT little system with this hexi, and I'm glad to have one. Haven't had this much fun since I CA'd a small NTSC color web camera into the bottom of a trainer aircraft with a 2.4GHz "Rabbit" video transmitter with a receiver hooked to a VHS VCR on a portable TV in the late 90s!
So, for the suggestion, and perhaps help from someone who may have figured out a way to do so, it would be REAL nice if Yuneec would utilize the AUX pushbutton as a "STOP EVERY AUTOMATIC FLIGHT MODE THAT IS CURRENTLY HAPPENING AND HOVER IN PLACE IMMEDIATELY!" mode. I went to try the orbit me mode today for the first time as a test of it's autonomous capabilities and had to fumble for the "EXIT" button on the remote screen to keep from running into a tree! Yeah, I know, silly me - why was I operating so close to a tree to begin with? Well, I wasn't THAT close to start with, but evidently found the "increase the radius" control while trying to figure out how to perform the orbit. Thankfully I reacted quick enough (about 30' from the tree) to stop it. Which leads me to my one and only complaint I've found so far... the TFT matrix on the doggone ST16 is aligned just plain WRONG for anyone who wears polarized glasses while flying; we have to hold the ST16 rotated counterclockwise 45 degrees to read the doggone screen!

Anyway, thanks again, and Yuneec, if you're listening, it should be the "Oh, SHEET!" function. Press it and immediately stop dead in it's tracks, no matter what it's doing (within reason, of course).

This is from the manual so it didn't copy the icons, but this should make stopping the orbit fairly easy.

ORBIT ME: When Orbit Me is enabled, Typhoon H flies a circular path around the pilot. Press ORBIT to enter the ORBIT ME function. START: Press START, and slide the icon, push the aileron stick to the right or left, then Typhoon H will fly around the pilot with the distance between the start point and the pilot as the radius. BACK: Tap BACK to return to the previous interface.
CENTER:
Press CENTER to set the current flight position of Typhoon H as the center of a circle.
START:
Press START, and slide the icon, push the aileron stick to the right or left, Typhoon H will fly around the circle center with distance between the Start point and the center point as the radius.
BACK:
Tap BACK to return to the previous interface.
NOTICE:
You can increase/decrease radius by apply forward/back on right stick. You also can trim the gimbal pan position by adjusting pan control knob on ST16 (The pilot can refer to ORBIT for camera tilt trimming).
NOTICE:
Adjust the Throttle Control joystick to change the height of the aircraft, adjust the Aileron Control joystick to change the orbit direction of the aircraft. [ ] When the pilot tap the [ ], the icon will become [ ]and the POI function will be paused. When tap it again, the [ ] will become [ ], the copter will continue the POI function. The pilot can exit the function by tapping EXIT icon or switching flight mode. POI: Point of Interest allows the pilot to select a subject they would like to orbit and have Typhoon H orbit that subject autonomously. 12
NOTICE:
You can increase/decrease radius by apply forward/back on right stick. You also can trim the gimbal pan position by adjusting pan control knob on ST16. NOTICE: The tilt direction of gimbal camera can be adjusted by the camera tilt control knob.
NOTICE:
If the aircraft flies too close to the pilot, it will automatically enlarge the distance and then begin to orbit.
NOTICE:
Adjust the Throttle Control joystick to change the height of the aircraft, adjust the Aileron Control joystick to change the orbit direction of the aircraft.

Reactions: kd4pbs and kai_bcn
BTW, your idea has merit, but I doubt it could be done without a firmware change. And thanks for your entertaining introduction. :) :)

My biggest problem was not reading the manual immediately prior to trying the orbit mode out. I had read the manual a few days ago and mentally went through the procedure, but in hindsight, the complexity of the procedure is just enough for my 1.1 volt brain to forget some of the nuances. I see that simply changing flight mode may help - or may not. For instance if I am in angle mode, and closer to the H than the smart mode wants me to be, it could easily fly backwards or sideways into the tree I wanted to avoid to begin with while trying to distance itself from me. Going to Home mode also may or may not help, especially if I have ended up putting it into home mode when there is an overhead obstruction. I don't know that I'd ever want to stare at the screen to fly... something deeply ingrained into my psyche that keeps me from doing that, but it appears that at least for now, pressing the EXIT button on the controller screen is the only way to ensure the H would simply stop in it's tracks, and that negates being able to watch the aircraft while flying it or having a tactile, immediate "Oh, CARP!" button. And I really would simply hate to rely on a touch screen for such an important control... I'm just thankful it worked... 1 or 2 seconds later and it would have been a different story.
I do know that Yuneec listens... I hope they are hearing this one.

Thanks, Steve!

My biggest problem was not reading the manual immediately prior to trying the orbit mode out. I had read the manual a few days ago and mentally went through the procedure, but in hindsight, the complexity of the procedure is just enough for my 1.1 volt brain to forget some of the nuances. I see that simply changing flight mode may help - or may not. For instance if I am in angle mode, and closer to the H than the smart mode wants me to be, it could easily fly backwards or sideways into the tree I wanted to avoid to begin with while trying to distance itself from me. Going to Home mode also may or may not help, especially if I have ended up putting it into home mode when there is an overhead obstruction. I don't know that I'd ever want to stare at the screen to fly... something deeply ingrained into my psyche that keeps me from doing that, but it appears that at least for now, pressing the EXIT button on the controller screen is the only way to ensure the H would simply stop in it's tracks, and that negates being able to watch the aircraft while flying it or having a tactile, immediate "Oh, CARP!" button. And I really would simply hate to rely on a touch screen for such an important control... I'm just thankful it worked... 1 or 2 seconds later and it would have been a different story.
I do know that Yuneec listens... I hope they are hearing this one.

Thanks, Steve!
I think this is the fastest way to stop or get out of trouble "adjust the Aileron Control joystick to change the orbit direction of the aircraft.

If you do that, it has to slow down from the direction of orbit that it was going. This isn't a "Stop right here and hover" procedure. You press it one way to start the orbit, and press it more that way to increase the orbit speed. Pressing it the other way will slow that orbit speed until it stops, and then eventually start orbiting the other direction. That amount of time to slow down, then stop, then start going the other way is easily long enough to make friends with a tree, a building, or a real tall person.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz