Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Test Flight

Reaction score
I have had the H for a week and a half, today we have a fairly nice day, will be 40 degrees soon and the snow is gone. I am charging batteries. I flew my E Flite 180 QX to prepare myself, that little thing is a handful. My goal for today is to just lift off and hover, I am not going to bother myself with the camera. Should I do any calibrations? The manual does not really mention that.

Calibrations are mentioned in the videos stored on the SD card. Yes, you should calibrate the compass, gimbal, and accelerometers. Start with the accelerometers as they are the easiest.

Reactions: AJan
I am going to not calibrate anything. The videos only mentions compass calibration and do not direct me to do so before initial flight. I imagine it is calibrated at the factory.

Good luck with thinking the factory satisfactorily calibrated everything. You realize that calibrating the compass in China is worthless.

Good luck with thinking the factory satisfactorily calibrated everything. You realize that calibrating the compass in China is worthless.

Why is it not mentioned in the manual? Are you saying it is not calibrated? I cant imagine everyone who buys one of these and reads the manuals, then flies and crashes because the compass was not calibrated.

I have to chuckle. I am on the FAA Website tying to access my number, I get this:
logoFAA.png
Federal Aviation Administration
Down for Maintenance

The Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) Registration Service is currently down for maintenance and should be back in service in a few minutes.

Why is it not mentioned in the manual? Are you saying it is not calibrated? I cant imagine everyone who buys one of these and reads the manuals, then flies and crashes because the compass was not calibrated.

Yuneec's manual is very thin on details and explanations. Get this manual:
Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)

Page 43:
SPECIAL NOTICE: If you are more than 10 to 20 miles from last flight location it is recommended you perform this Calibration

CAUTION: Magnetic fields can be affected by many objects, causing the Typhoon H’s sensor to not calibrate correctly.

For optimum performance, only calibrate the Typhoon H in open spaces, far away from power lines, metal structures or concrete buildings. Perform the compass calibration procedure at least 11 feet away from the nearest cell phone or other electronic devices to ensure proper calibration.

The tutorials on the SD card provided show compass calibration as a needed first time pre flight procedure. You should not skip this and it’s very important. Many users here know more than YUNEEC so do not discount the advice or your next post will be about your first crash. And good on you to leave the camera off till you feel it’s behaving and you’ve got the switches and controls down. Leaving your 480 alone after successful compass calibration for 15 mins turned on to gather satellite data. It’s worth the time. Accelerometer calibration just requires a level spot on the ground and is hands off easy. Gimbal calibration needs you to restart the TH after it finishes and it does not finish pointing straight but will line up properly on the restart.

Reactions: rdonson
Just lifted off, it went well but I was alarmed by the blinking white light. I put her down and brought everything inside. I guess this is normal.
"NOTICE: White blink between solid flight mode indicates enough
satellites for Watch Me/Follow Me." I will do the Compass calibration but the manual should tell me this, I do appreciate the help here. Edit: I just did the calibration and I got the white light. I wasn't sure what to do then, so I turned off the H and restarted. I did it again and didn't get the white light and the H seemed to have turned off. The video says the H should start itself after calibration. I don't know what to think at this point. Is there a way to tell if it is properly calibrated before a flight?

Went back out and tried compass calibration again. It is a bit clumsy spinning this thing with the controller hanging from my neck, but went through all axis and again it shut down. I wonder if this is normal now after that latest update I did last week. It is now sitting on my test table doing what is has been doing since I got it, beeping and flashing.

One clue that this could be a new effect after the update is that the menu is different now for the calibration, there is an additional drop down box. Just sayin, just hopin!

Okay so now I see a fellow in a video saying that the controller should be 11 feet away. I did read the part about phones and other electronic devices to be 11 feet away but I never thought that included the controller, does it? This is why we need detailed and accurate manuals. Never ends!

You need to calibrate as mentioned in video, don't trust the manual. Listen to the experts who have been on this forum for a very long time and know the in's and outs.

I have calibrated mine before every flight, and also did the accelerometer twice. The latter helps keep drift to a minimum. Not sure if that has a compounding effect but during hover, even in 10+mph winds its as stable as sitting on the ground.

I have calibrated mine before every flight, and also did the accelerometer twice. The latter helps keep drift to a minimum. Not sure if that has a compounding effect but during hover, even in 10+mph winds its as stable as sitting on the ground.

Can you comment on what is suppose to happen when the calibration is complete, mine seems to shut down the H, it did this for 2 attempts after getting the white failed light once, the first time I tried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adanidharavi