Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Time Pilot/Owner

Reaction score
Just wanted to drop in and join the forums! Just received my Typhoon H today have been digging through the threads and going over the manuals nonstop before taking flight for the first time. There's tons of great info here, thanks for everyone's contributions!341CF24F-FD75-4703-BACD-7546C3D009BB.JPG 934C1048-9BEE-4E64-8222-0545A07091F4.JPG

Welcome to the board! Have you flown RC before... or is this your first dive into the water? :)

Reactions: donis2
This will be my first time flying RC, one reason why I'm being real cautious with everything so I don't mess up too bad my first time out lol. Just ordered a few accessories today already, charger, battery lead cable, 64gb card, and an anti-glare screen protector. Any other recommendations?

You'll end up doing away with the anti glare screen and going to a wide brimmed hat while paying attention to where the sun is. As for advice, go slow and take things one step at a time, getting to know each one well before moving to another.

This will be my first time flying RC, one reason why I'm being real cautious with everything so I don't mess up too bad my first time out lol. Just ordered a few accessories today already, charger, battery lead cable, 64gb card, and an anti-glare screen protector. Any other recommendations?
I had my anti-glare on for one flight. It made it harder to see the screen so I threw it away. Now I look for a shady spot to stand when it's too bright.

Mount the sunscreen with the smaller holes on the little nubs. I didn't even know those holes were there for a long time after I got my H.

You can fly without camera too, sooner or later you are going to hit a tree or something and the landings will be better to practice without risking impacts on your camera. Downside is it is maybe less fun :p

Take your time learning the controls in a wide open field no trees and get used to how the craft responds. I DO NOT USE SMART MODE TO FLY! (it's the switch far right top, I put it centered)! If you fly safe you will not crash, do not overreact, always assess the area you will be flying to and from, weather, wind conditions. double check your blades are properly installed and the arms are extended in the lock position. Battery clicked into slot. The list goes on and on
You will not mess up! and yes I still get nervous flying.
Good flying.:)

If you have absolutely no experience with flying, I suggest not even trying to fly it at this point. Go buy a $30 or $40 toy quadcopter and take a week or three to learn how to fly that first. Learn the flight controls. Fly it in normal mode to learn how to fly from different orientations. Learn how to land properly. Etc. The H is very easy to fly but it does take some skill to do so. You might find yourself in a situation with the H that would need some kind of utilization of what you learned with the cheap quad. Crashing a $30 or $40 quad is a lot easier on the wallet and emotions than crashing a $1000 drone.
Just my 1 cent.

Mount the sunscreen with the smaller holes on the little nubs. I didn't even know those holes were there for a long time after I got my H.

Ha! Thought I was the only one to be puzzled by that.

@mtengr
Buy the better sun shade from Carolina Dronz or others. It uses Velcro strips, which must be carefully positioned, but makes it easy to take on or off. This shade is 3 times better than the raggedy one they send. Get the neck strap too, if you don't have one.

Your TH does not have the RealSense module, right?
Happy flying!

I agree with all the above advice, but would add that since this is your first multi-rotor the odds of you crashing it are quite high...some would say inevitable. So, unless you take the above advice to get a very low cost aircraft to practice with, then certainly for your first several flights make sure you are in a very open area away from any structures and, whatever you do, don't lose sight of it. Do a critical assessment of your area of operations looking for any potential hazards (you should do this anyway no matter how experienced you are) and plan your flights in advance.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you have great times with your aircraft. Look after it and it should look after you.

I will throw in my couple of thoughts here... I was exactly where you are about 10 months ago.
This board will be your university. For example, the real users manual for the Typhoon H
can be found here:

Want to help make a better manual?

As I did, follow the advice given here about getting a $60 nano quad to bounce off of the walls
and ceiling first. My own H sat in the box for 6 weeks after I got it. The Blade Nano Qx is a
good choice for $60.00. Simple quad with a simple controller. The ST-16 can be daunting
with all the available buttons and choices.

Also an early skill you need to practice is successfully removing and replacing the camera.
Among other things, one of the keys to reliably getting a successful compass calibration,
is removal of the camera for that procedure. As suggested above, you want to do your first
dozen flights without the camera.

First, it will help you in making the transition, from flying the Nano to flying the H, since in
both cases you will only be concerned with learning how the sticks move in relation to how
the bird moves. Second, the camera is the most expensive component and most difficult
to repair. Best to protect that investment by minimizing risk early on.

When you are new to RC flying, it is easy to lose orientation of your drone... the original
thread is gone, so credit to the OP CraigCam, for coming up with this idea... paint each
of the landing legs of the H a different color fluorescent paint. I also paint the back covers
of the battery. (Since these pictures, I have changed the back battery cover to orange).
Easy to tell if the H is facing away from you or toward you.

modified_Typhoon-H_2.jpg modified_Typhoon-H_3.jpg

Read the following thread... it can help you determine orientation of the bird on the ST-16,
and is one of the most valuable threads on the forum.

Green Arrow Explained

I'll add to this if I think of more...

Last edited:
If you get into a situation where you don't what to do, can't tell which way it's going, or which control input to make next, take your hands off the sticks and let it hover. That's what it will most always do if it is not being told to do something else. Always remember you can land it where it's at if you get confused trying to fly it back.

There are two types of RC aircraft. Those that have crashed and those that will.

Well patr I have to somewhat disagree with that statement. I'm a former pilot, single and twin engine land. Also Cobra helicopter mechanic. We know there will be pilot error or malfunctions from aircraft. I believe these can be avoided by preventive maintenance and assessing the conditions you are flying in. I've been only flying for 3 months 36 hours flight time, using my services in construction related projects. Absolute caution and preparation before any flight is a must!
I do not expect I will crash, not that I'm being naive, but am ready to "fly the hex in an emergency and look for a place to land as safely as possible".

I would permit you to disagree with me had I been the one that posted that;)

When using some initial caution to avoid bad situations, I tend to agree with you. As experience is gained, if that experience, knowledge, and a little advance planning go into preparing for the flight, we don't need to use superior flying skills to assure the safe outcome of a flight. Average skills work fine. However, as you read through the various crash threads it becomes evident some don't plan anything and run into stuff they didn't need to:)

Last edited:
QUOTE="PatR, post: 98970, member: 1911"]I would permit you to disagree with me had I been the one that posted that;)[/QUOTE]
opps sorry.:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix