Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fly away and other issues

Have you ever experienced a bug/problem flying? Eg: a fly away

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just curious, how many typhoon h pilots have experienced issues and bugs with their typhoon h, I’m thinking about buying one but the flyaways and software updates seem to have a lot of issues. If you have experienced a flyaway, any idea how to stop it? I heard turning gps off helps

Just curious, how many typhoon h pilots have experienced issues and bugs with their typhoon h, I’m thinking about buying one but the flyaways and software updates seem to have a lot of issues. If you have experienced a flyaway, any idea how to stop it? I heard turning gps off helps
A new member on here said something a few days ago that will shed a bright light on your question. Most people join a forum for a few reasons.

Two kinds of people post to forums, happy and mad.

Happy, because they love what they purchased, and did all the reading they could on here before making their purchase. Due diligence.

Mad, because their product is not performing the way they feel it should and post about how crappy the product is due to them not learning about the product first. No due diligence done.

Any product can have a fly away for any number of reasons. User defined, mechanical, or software related, but it actually does not happen that often.

Software/firmware updates?.......Most if not all problems with this are user defined.

Best real world example that everyone can relate to....When you purchase your new car for $30,000+ do you ask if the brakes are going to fail and how many people it has happened to before you purchase it?....No, but it can happen, and does. Yet we still buy a very dangerous product without thinking of the risks that could potentially kill us when the brakes fail.

I guess what I am saying is don't be afraid to get into the hobby/sport/business due to a small fraction of people that have a few issues that are mostly user caused. Yes it could fly away. Yes you are going to crash at some point as we all have/will. Yes, you are going to have a pile of fun with it.

So go out as we all have and spend wads of cash on something that is going to give you more pleasure than what you have spent on it. Soon you will be like the rest of us addicted to UAV's.

Murray

Can't say it much better than that but I would add:

Don't be lulled into the belief that these are simple aircraft that fly them selves and can think, and remember, and do all other sorts of stuff.

Do read and comprehend the manual - and take note of how many warnings are on each page.

Take a few weeks and read through the topics on this forum regarding: Batteries, Flight Times, Calibrations, Preflight, Field Procedures, the manual and more - read - absorb - understand.

I joined about a year ago and even though I have 37 years of RC experience I did these things and followed the advise of others that had come before me and I am a Happy Member

Last edited:
A new member on here said something a few days ago that will shed a bright light on your question. Most people join a forum for a few reasons.

Happy, because they love what they purchased, and did all the reading they could on here before making their purchase. Due diligence.

Mad, because their product is not performing the way they feel it should and post about how crappy the product is due to them not learning about the product first. No due diligence done.

Any product can have a fly away for any number of reasons. User defined, mechanical, or software related, but it actually does not happen that often.

Software/firmware updates?.......Most if not all problems with this are user defined.

Best real world example that everyone can relate to....When you purchase your new car for $30,000+ do you ask if the brakes are going to fail and how many people it has happened to before you purchase it?....No, but it can happen, and does. Yet we still buy a very dangerous product without thinking of the risks that could potentially kill us when the brakes fail.

I guess what I am saying is don't be afraid to get into the hobby/sport/business due to a small fraction of people that have a few issues that are mostly user caused. Yes it could fly away. Yes you are going to crash at some point as we all have/will. Yes, you are going to have a pile of fun with it.

So go out as we all have and spend wads of cash on something that is going to give you more pleasure than what you have spent on it. Soon you will be like the rest of us addicted to UAV's.

Murray

Mad, because their product is not performing the way they feel it should and post

Murray
I never thought of it like that, I feel a lot more reassured the chances of receiving a faulty product are pretty low (the car brake was an excellent example) thanks man =)

Reactions: Murray Martz
Can't say it much better than that but I would add:

Don't be lulled into the belief that these are simple aircraft that fly them selves and can think, and remember, and do all other sorts of stuff.

Do read and comprehend the manual - and take note of how many warnings are on each page.

Take a few weeks and read through the topics on this forum regarding: Batteries, Flight Times, Calibrations, Preflight, Field Procedures, the manual and more - read - absorb - understand.

I joined about a year ago and even though I have 37 years of RC experience I did these things and followed the advise of others that had come before me and I am a Happy Member
I completely agree, I currently own a phantom 3 standard, and knew just about everything about it before my first takeoff. But it also seems there is less information out there about yuneec products, I should find everything I need here though =)

Reactions: Murray Martz
Had a fly away with an H December of 2016. Yuneec handled it quickly. I’ve been flying that one and another for another year since that event with no problems.

I’ve done every firmware update with both H aircraft, along with a spare camera. There has never been any problems with the firmware or performing an update.

There are a lot of inexperienced and/or dumb people out there, along with quite a few that don’t bother reading instructions. I’ll venture most issues have been self induced.

Last edited:
Had a fly away with an H December of last year. Yuneec handled it quickly. I’ve been flying that one and another for another year since that event with no problems.

I’ve done every firmware update with both H aircraft, along with a spare camera. There has never been any problems with the firmware or performing an update.

There are a lot of inexperienced and/or dumb people out there, along with quite a few that don’t bother reading instructions. I’ll venture most issues have been self induced.
Interesting, good to know Yuneec handled it, what evidence did you require for a replacement? :)

I completely agree, I currently own a phantom 3 standard, and knew just about everything about it before my first takeoff. But it also seems there is less information out there about yuneec products, I should find everything I need here though =)

The manual does have some omissions and in general is very basic, but as you've pointed out the rest is here to fill the gaps, sounds like you're off to a good start. Happy flying.

I agree with just about everything said above. Flying H Pro now for almost 2 years and did have one issue flying in a large hanger got into trouble and damage the camera. On discussion with Yuneec problem was caused by GPS so be warned, if flying indoors where you have intermittent GPS signal can cause issues. This should be included somewhere in the manual. Yuneec were extremely helpful and provided a new camera at discount price. I have also called them on several occasions for advise and always been extremely helpful. 10/10 to Yuneec. Incidentally marks for DJI customer services big fat 0/10.

Reactions: Dr Delta
I agree with just about everything said above. Flying H Pro now for almost 2 years and did have one issue flying in a large hanger got into trouble and damage the camera. On discussion with Yuneec problem was caused by GPS so be warned, if flying indoors where you have intermittent GPS signal can cause issues. This should be included somewhere in the manual. Yuneec were extremely helpful and provided a new camera at discount price. I have also called them on several occasions for advise and always been extremely helpful. 10/10 to Yuneec. Incidentally marks for DJI customer services big fat 0/10.
Thanks for the information, I likely wouldn’t dare use a drone inside, but a hanger is pretty **** tempting ;) I’m glad they have good customer care, always a bonus when buying a costly product, another reason yuneec has proven themselves better than dji, just my opinion :) Have it planned that my drone (H pro RS) is coming late feb-early Mar. Don’t go flying in anymore hangers :)

If your new, look up captain drone on youtube. He has some excellent videos on the Typhoon H, video setting, flight modes, setup and settings, etc, etc.

Reactions: Campbell
Also look up Jeff Sibelius as he has a Playlist of YouTube videos dedicated to getting started and flying the Typhoon H.

Jeff Sibelius

To the original question: my only hiccup with Yuneec was a firmware update last year that didn't go well. Finally resolved by following a video by Jef Sibelius on using a micro SD card instead of the OTA update.

I've had my share of mishaps with my TH480 but if I'm honest they were all pilot errors.

And I agree 100%. Your comment is politically incorrect, and people aren't supposed to do that these days, you know. But, IMO, as an amateur Typhoon H owner, the "issues" we see on these forums are from the "cowboy" fliers you refer to.

RTFM, don't fly beyond one's skill and experience level, and don't do anything STUPID, and most of the time, things will work out fine.

OK, sure, there will be those infrequent anomolies, such that the drone will ignore commands and go off on its own. But if good judgement and common sense prevail, those events will be extremely uncommon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio