Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fly Away - Typhoon H Pro (after firmware update)

Reaction score
I installed the latest firmware updated and checked both the controller and a/c for it. As instructed, I erased all previous data. Then rebound camera and controller. Re-checked all settings including 121 meter RTH altitude. Calibrated IMU and Compass.

All batteries freshly charged.

I took off from my usual spot at home, and started video. I climbed to 390 or so feet. Turned OBS AVOIDANCE ON. Steered drone to a zuaualk place where I test things. At about 1750' lost signal. I switched to RTH. Nothing.

I waited patiently for 10 minutes into flight. Nothing.

I got in car with controller and drove 1/2 mile away in the direct it went to highest ground. Got out and away from turned-off car.

Nothing.

I waited until 30 minutes elapsed from T/O. Nothing.

It was/is insured for all losses but I believe this is a failure and I will look to Yuneec.

Help and comments to find it, if possible.

I never had any flyway with any drone, have read about them on this forum. I am about fed up with this !

I installed the latest firmware in my Yuneec Typhoon H Pro, updated and checked both the controller and a/c for it. As instructed, I erased all previous data. Then rebound camera and controller. Re-checked all settings including 121 meter RTH altitude. Calibrated IMU and Compass.

I took off from my usual spot at home, and started video. I climbed to 390 or so feet. Turned OBS AVOIDANCE ON. Steered drone to a zuaualk place where I test things. At about 1750' lost signal. I switched to RTH. Nothing.

I got in car with controller and drove 1/2 mile away in the direct it went to highest ground. Got out and away from turned-off car.

Nothing.

It was/is insured for all losses but I believe this is a failure and I will look to Yuneec.

I never had any flyway with any drone, have read about them on this forum. I am about fed up with this !

#flyaway @typhoonh #yuneec #drone

Sorry about your experience but the following has a lot of potential holes in it.

"I took off from my usual spot at home, and started video. I climbed to 390 or so feet. Turned OBS AVOIDANCE ON. Steered drone to a zuaualk place where I test things. At about 1750' lost signal. I switched to RTH. Nothing."

1750' is a long way to maintain visual control through unaided eye line of sight. At 1,000' you need binoculars to see which way the aircraft is facing if the aft LED is not aimed at you. In bright daylight even the LED doesn't help in that respect.

What was between you, the -16, and the aircraft?
How were the antennae oriented?
How did you calibrate the IMU?
After changing firmware, how long after boot up was take off performed?
What RF issues might have been present in the area?
Describe your start up process in extreme detail.

Have you tried looking at the recorded GPS data for the last position?

Sorry about your experience but the following has a lot of potential holes in it.

"I took off from my usual spot at home, and started video. I climbed to 390 or so feet. Turned OBS AVOIDANCE ON. Steered drone to a zuaualk place where I test things. At about 1750' lost signal. I switched to RTH. Nothing."

1750' is a long way to maintain visual control through unaided eye line of sight. At 1,000' you need binoculars to see which way the aircraft is facing if the aft LED is not aimed at you. In bright daylight even the LED doesn't help in that respect.

What was between you, the -16, and the aircraft?
How were the antennae oriented?
How did you calibrate the IMU?
After changing firmware, how long after boot up was take off performed?
What RF issues might have been present in the area?
Describe your start up process in extreme detail.

Have you tried looking at the recorded GPS data for the last position?
Antenna were up and perpendicular to line of flight.

Calibrated IMB on flat surface according to the book.

I let it sit, after reboot, 30 minutes, motors off, in same spot.

T/O was following AM.

No RF issues. This is my usual place of flying the Typhoon H, my Phantoms, and Mavic.

Startup: Preflight of all.

Power on transmitter. Wait until the usual screen is up and check setting b4 connection,

Recheck ST16 switches.

Power on A/C.

After connection, check gimbal movement, RTH settings. Sat acquisition.

T/O

Stay at 6 feel and gently move all control functions. Climb to 12', same.

Climb to 400'

Sent on it's trip.

See if you can find the telemetry file for that flight on the ST16. It will be in the Flight Log file. You can then upload the file here: Exmaps
You will need to create an account, but this will show you the flight of the H and may help find it.

See if you can find the telemetry file for that flight on the ST16. It will be in the Flight Log file. You can then upload the file here: Exmaps
You will need to create an account, but this will show you the flight of the H and may help find it.
I have a SD card in the ST16 but can't seem to get it to recognize it.

Update: it was 64GB and ST 16 can't read that. Got a 16GB and it sees it.

Last edited:
You can also connect the ST16 to your computer using the ST16 charging cable. Just plug it into the ST16 and a USB port, turn on the ST16 and after a couple of minutes it will show up as an additional drive.

You can also connect the ST16 to your computer using the ST16 charging cable. Just plug it into the ST16 and a USB port, turn on the ST16 and after a couple of minutes it will show up as an additional drive.
I have a iMac and it did not show. But I solved it by using 16GB card.

Tried uploading the csv file but it says that that file format is not supported.

Save the csv file, then re-save it as an Excel Workbook file. See if that works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it landed in someones yard after the battery ran down. Exmaps shows it was 2723' away.
Did you have your name and phone number on it?

Tried uploading the csv file but it says that that file format is not supported.

Attachments

• exmaps2.jpg
    exmaps2.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 41
  • exmaps3.jpg
    exmaps3.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Looking at the telemetry plots it does not jump out as a fly away to me. It was launched too early with barely enough satellites but those increased over time. If it was a true fly away it probably had not established a good home position fix before it was launched. No compass interference, great HDOP. If telemetry was lost it appears it did so because it might have landed with low battery voltage, 2,952' away from the launch site. The zero amp report indicates it was no longer flying.

Personally, I would look at the last recorded Lat/Long position and go pick it up. It's probably sitting right there.

Last edited:
I installed the latest firmware updated and checked both the controller and a/c for it. As instructed, I erased all previous data. Then rebound camera and controller. Re-checked all settings including 121 meter RTH altitude. Calibrated IMU and Compass.

Nothing.

After I did Update My H flew right into Tree(GRRRR)

After I did Update My H flew right into Tree(GRRRR)
Likely due to using Smart mode and being too close to the TH when taking off -- the diameter of the protection circle is 26 feet, so the bird will immediately try to put distance between itself and the operator.

He's an update on my Typhoon H Pro flyaway after the firmware update:

UPDATE: YUNEEC, the Manufacturer called me back and said that they've reviewed the LOG FILES and have asked me to return the ST16 and everything else (done is up tree so it can't go) to them and they'll send me a replacement. THANKS YUNEEC ! This is the way a company SHOULD deal with such a situation. Yuneec TYPHOON H Owners Group Yuneec Typhoon H - Official Owners Group Yuneec APV #TyphoonH @Yuneec #Drone #Flyaway

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 2017-02-03 Map with Streets.jpg
    2017-02-03 Map with Streets.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 2017-02-02 close look at tree location.jpg
    2017-02-02 close look at tree location.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2017-02-02 Path at 400' above take off.jpg
    2017-02-02 Path at 400' above take off.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for your service to our country.
Thank you, for you thoughts and words, but those who do multiple tours in the Middle East have it much tougher than I did in Vietnam. Even one tour in Iraq or Afghanistan is much worse than I had it in Vietnam during Tet. Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts, but how'd you know?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop