Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying over water .

If you're an experienced, confident flyer, you'd probably be OK on the river (though maybe don't get too close to that massive metal ship which may or may not screw with your GPS), or go low enough to get caught in anyone's rigging (some of which will be next to invisible on your screen), but I'd avoid the Seven Sisters unless it's a totally windless day, which is a very rare thing at the beach. The concern would be for the massive turbulent updrafts you get close to clifftops - the breeze is not a power flyer, and can't really deal with wind of that magnitude in an entirely safe and predictable way. I'd do it with a Typhoon H, but not a smaller quadcopter.

OK many thanks Aeroj I take it high and probably take off from the fort and fly out and over just worried about the water etc as people say keep well away from it ...

just worried about the water etc as people say keep well away from it ...
Oh no, don't worry about that :) The craft doesn't care what it's over (fire, thick smoke and lava being exceptions to that), and they very rarely drop from the sky (but it does happen!). Do your pre-flights, make sure you have a lot of GPS satellites and a full battery, don't push your voltage and remember that it can take a lot longer to come back against the wind than it does to get out over the sea when it's behind you... last thing you want is an autoland in the sea due to battery warning when you should have come back 5 minutes earlier ! :/

Reactions: thoneter
Many thanks ... I don't push the speeds for flying and getting the hang of what battery life it took to get to that spot and I normally start heading back to land around 20% depending how far and high ... but thanks for the heads up

I hope this helps others as we all been told stay away from Water and lakes etc

Bry,

I flew over water a lot this past Winter while I was in Florida. Just for extra safety I start heading back to my launch point at about 30% battery level. If conditions are quite windy I make it 35%. It may be somewhat over cautious, but I have usually obtained the video and photos I was after by that point in the flight. I see it in the light of whether to wear a neck strap on my DSLR Camera when handholding to shoot. It is uncomfortable to wear it, but my camera won’t hit the ground if something causes me to lose my hold on it.

Reactions: Brianlam
Cool many thanks Doonmeister can't wait to test it... at the moment just have my mobile for flying but going to get tablet or a controller next ... ... do you have any links to your video's etc
All the best B

I bought a "getter back" a year ago for under $10. They've risen in price to 4 times that which is highway robbery at $40. It does bring a little peace of mind when your flying over water.

I bought a "getter back" a year ago for under $10. They've risen in price to 4 times that which is highway robbery at $40. It does bring a little peace of mind when your flying over water.
May I ask what is a getter back

Did someone have them discounted?

God know where to strap it to ...not sure if you can but on top of the breeze 4k when I get them I work it out and send photo

Reactions: thoneter
Attached mine on leg of my 480(H) and 920(Tornado). 14 is a good deal compared to the $39.99 on their page

I am having a fly tomorrow over the water ... I put together a plane just incase it all goes tits up .... I have the coastguard on standby and the lifeboat but my son said he come along ..now he said he can swim better then the UK Tom Daily the diver ... so I got it all cover. Pmsl

I had a kayak close by when I flew over lake Superior. I actually called the coast guard, the lift bridge operator in Duluth MN, the local airport and one other facility. They were all supportive and said just make sure you don't fly over the coast guards security fence.

Thanks for the idea of the getter back. But what about water damage to the drone? Is it really worth it to pick it up if it was already immersed in water?

I've got 2 480's and 2 920's. It would be worth it for me for parts. I don't think the motors would be bad if picked up soon. You'd have arms, retract motors, body parts and camera housing. For me it's better than not getting it back. If it's under warranty then it's well worth it. As usual just my 2 cents worth.

I'd suggest watching this video as it will protect all components from a water dive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horus and Brianlam

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval