Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying temperatures

Reaction score
As winter draws in over in Blighty, I was so seeing what the operating temperature range is for the H+....
Obvious wind and temperatures change with altitude, but I've seen videos of people flying in snow covered areas with no apparent issues and it would be nice to get some footage if/When we get decent snow fall. Thoughts anyone?

2 points...

1) Since meltwater on the components is a big factor, consider the kind of snow flying about... is it the wet heavy type of snow that occurs usually when temperatures are closer to freezing? Or the dry powder fluff that occurs in colder temperatures usually in the depth of winter?

2) Your biggest caution will be in regards to your flying time... our batteries give up their juice, faster as the temperature drops. You may only see flight times of 5-7 minutes. Pay close attention to both your battery levels as well as their rate of depletion. Keep them warm in a jacket or an insulated carry bag, until used.

Thanks for that [emoji4]

I wouldn't fly in the snow, just looking for some nice winter shots of some of the nice scenery and buildings I have locally (for 2019 xmas cards etc).

I didn't realise the drop in power from the lipo batteries would be so significant!
Good idea about keeping them warm, ill dig out the insulated lunch boxes and keep a close eye!!

All battery types have a temperature range where they provide best performance. Above or below that range and battery performance will be degraded. The condition is well documented at sites that specialize in informed related to battery design, use, and maintenance.

Exaere, you can get some spectacular images and video on a snowy day. But, as has been pointed out, battery life is much shorter in cold weather. Here's a still pulled from a video I did last year. Also, below that is a link to a video where the weather changed from dry to hail during the flight! I was lucky to get it on the ground before any damage was done.
1545002524722.png
See also video:

Something to think about. If you observe ice collecting anywhere on the aircraft, cease flying immediately. Weight accumulated quickly in icing conditions and propellers will generate much less thrust when icing up. Not to mention the extra load propeller ice places on motors and ESC’s.

Exaere, you can get some spectacular images and video on a snowy day. But, as has been pointed out, battery life is much shorter in cold weather. Here's a still pulled from a video I did last year. Also, below that is a link to a video where the weather changed from dry to hail during the flight! I was lucky to get it on the ground before any damage was done.
View attachment 13113
See also video:
Some fantastic footage in the video! I love the winter, snow always makes the countryside and scenery look beautiful!

I'll post some footage when (if) We get a decent snowfall

Reactions: Rubik
View attachment 13113
See also video:

Awesome video, makes me look forward to all the snow coming this winter...lol. Especially felt the redemption from the hail 4 days later had me singing fu hail don't u come for me (ie:Ted). Subscribed on YT, looking forward to seeing more.

Reactions: Exaere and Rubik

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace