Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying the H520 with the standard ST16 (not the S)

ByM

Reaction score
Warwickshire, (not very near London), England
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I was unable to find a definitive answer...

Can you fly the H520 with the original ST16 Controller that was supplied with the original Typhoon H (480) ?

Or can you use the original ST16 to control the camera as a second controller?

I don't believe so - different protocols across the board.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I was unable to find a definitive answer...

Can you fly the H520 with the original ST16 Controller that was supplied with the original Typhoon H (480) ?

Or can you use the original ST16 to control the camera as a second controller?
If you install Datapilot on the St16 from the Typhoon H, it does connect to the H520 and everything works, but I stopped short of actually flying my H520 with it. I will however be trying it in team mode to control the camera when the update for the H520 is released to do this. I am told this should be soon.

Last edited:
If you install Datapilot on the St16 from the Typhoon H, it does connect to the H520 and everything works, but I stopped short of actually flying my H520 with it. I will however be trying it in team mode to control the camera when the update for the H520 is released to do this. I am told this should be soon.

Is it possible that you could try 'flying it' with the ST16 and leave the props off... See if it starts up and then try both sticks... I know it will go in to five motor mode but that should be enough to say it works....

I have an ST12 that I was told categorically won't work with the Typhoon H but it works fine with it as a main controller. You just lose the return to home switch.

Thanks in advance for any tests you can do.... I'm actually trying to find out for th H plus not the 520 but they are supposedly very similar if not identical hardware...

Is it possible that you could try 'flying it' with the ST16 and leave the props off... See if it starts up and then try both sticks... I know it will go in to five motor mode but that should be enough to say it works....

I have an ST12 that I was told categorically won't work with the Typhoon H but it works fine with it as a main controller. You just lose the return to home switch.

Thanks in advance for any tests you can do.... I'm actually trying to find out for th H plus not the 520 but they are supposedly very similar if not identical hardware...
I tried starting the motors with the props off and they fire up. As mentioned everything works, camera and all settings, but no way was I actually going to fly It.
On a side note. I also have a very early, Alpha version of the H Plus software on my St16 and my St16s. The H Plus software talks to the H520, including camera settings and also starts the motors on both St16 and st16s transmitters. The CGO3+ camera also works on the H520 using the H Plus software. Everything on the cgo3+ works except for gimbal control. The H Plus software also controls the Typhoon H but the cgo3+ camera does not work at all but the E90 does work on the Typhoon H with the H Plus software but again no gimbal control.

I'm nervous of people who have modified their systems to work with different machines - the fact that some things work, doesn't mean all things work. You don't want to find out the hard way that RTH is non-functional for instance. Second hand reports don't tell you how thoroughly the other person tested their configuration, nor exactly the steps they took to get it going.

There was a similar thing when people discovered the H920+ profile 'worked' with the Typhoon H to give waypoints - the problem being that only some of the functionality actually does what you expect.

That's not to denigrate the experiments people are doing, but caveat emptor applies.

I tried starting the motors with the props off and they fire up. As mentioned everything works, camera and all settings, but no way was I actually going to fly It.
On a side note. I also have a very early, Alpha version of the H Plus software on my St16 and my St16s. The H Plus software talks to the H520, including camera settings and also starts the motors on both St16 and st16s transmitters. The CGO3+ camera also works on the H520 using the H Plus software. Everything on the cgo3+ works except for gimbal control. The H Plus software also controls the Typhoon H but the cgo3+ camera does not work at all but the E90 does work on the Typhoon H with the H Plus software but again no gimbal control.
As I mentioned, I tested all I could on the ground, but in no way will I put my H520 at risk and try to fly It with the st16. But to controll the camera when team mode is available. It might be a viable alternative rather than having to buy another st16s and use the st16 I already have.

Reactions: Tuna
Is it possible that the whole thing is software dependent and has nothing to do with what tablet hardware it is running on?
What so critical can be in ST16 hardware vs ST16s one that won't you let you to control H520 from ST16?

I cannot think of anything. So may be if there is no problem to install DataPilot on St16 there should not be any problems to control your H520 from it.

If I had one I would definitely try it.

st16 controller from the h480 for use on the h520 has just been done today. mix results yes on motor startup yes on able to launch the craft an it is stable. speeds are different matter forward limited to 2 to 3 mph. backward 8 to 9 mph. side to side 9 to 10 mph. 45 degree angles 10 mph. rth works solid. gps solid hold. decent accent and descent speeds. 20 min flight no stability issue. flight mode switch smart mode becomes manual mode . angle mode is still angle angle mode .return to home is still return to home.

Last edited:
The cgo3 camera works with the h480 via mavlink. But only tx wire or mavlink is connect from h480 to cgo3.
I think in the h520 there are the tx and rx mavlink control.
Infact the datapilot software control the h520 by mavlink connection by 5.8mhz datalink of e90 or e50.
If you fly without a camera the 520 is without telemetry control in datapilot, qgroundconyrol or ucgs.

We Need to find rx pin in the circuit board of cgo3 .

The circuit is the same of E50.
Pleese Who have this put some photo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop