Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying with GPS off, full manual mode

Reaction score
I have experienced in the past when doing real estate photography in heavily wooded areas it was always best to fly without GPS due to satellite drag (too much HDOP, horizontal dilution of precision) even when initially taking off with satellite lock. From my experience with many different drones they all have acted similarly, wanting to drift in a certain direction when satellites are trying to maintain position. I know it voids the warranty for repairs if it crashes with GPS off, but will the H do the same thing as older drones or does it warn you if there's too much hdop?
I used it in the woods a few days ago to get photos of a cabin and was afraid to have it in angle mode so I turned GPS off and it worked great, but it would be nice to finally have a drone stay still instead of constantly having to correct it while I'm getting it within inches of trees and other obstacles, while at the same time taking a picture and watching the ST-16.

in heavily wooded areas it was always best to fly without GPS

Testing my Pro just holding it and walking under trees, it still held GPS well. BUT...was not heavily wooded.

As GPS Sat reception dwindles, you'll see the number start becoming less and know to beware. It's dicey though, because the H may well lose GPS lock in a heartbeat.

The Pro with IPS: without GPS the IPS is supposed to stabilize the H laterally, but mine does not seem to do that yet, with old firmware. Safe side, fly in Angle w/o GPS and be careful. Good place for a team effort.

I wish they had put the GPS on/off on a switch. It would be a good safety feature in case of a flyaway. Having it on a switch has saved my Phantom and other NAZA controlled birds more than once. They are the king of flyaways.

Reactions: Rayray
i have used my H today indoor (no intelsnese and IPS on board)...it was a little bit difficulte to make a good shoot, because without GPS the H is much faster at all...You must be very carefull with controls

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22