Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Folding quad

Reaction score
My latest project is a folding quad. It will be 500 mm size with 11" or 12" props, The design is very simple and light weight. It will collapse to less than 7" x 14" for easy transport. It will have a front mounted gimbal and GoPro camera.
These first pictures are of the frame made from 3/32" plywood. Once I get the gimbal/camera mounted, I can work out the weight distribution and finalize the design. Then I will have the plates made from carbon fiber. The arms are 15 mm square CF tubes. The ESC's are inside the arms.
If this design works well, I may try to convert my Q500 in a similar way.DSC05439.jpg DSC05441.jpg DSC05444.jpg DSC05445.jpg DSC05524.jpg DSC05527.jpg

Great job. I look forward to seeing your final product. It is reminiscent of DJI's Mavic Pro drone although with MUCH larger props - and I'm assuming larger rotors, too - than that aircraft's design utilizes.

Looks like a very well executed, precision job you've done. It's guys like you who've tinkered with such machines that enabled the rest of us to be able to simply purchase a consumer drone and take to the skies, too. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Rayray
Finally got in the last of the parts. Wiring completed. Planning to do the maiden flight in the morning. First flight will be without camera or gimbal.
DSC05655.JPG DSC05662.JPG

Video from my folding quad. She is flying well. I still have to design and make a landing gear. I also need to find some quality ND filters for the GoPro Session camera. I may try to mount my CGO3 on this quad. Does anyone have the pinout for the Yuneec connector?

Mounted the CGO3 camera/gimbal from my Q500 on my folding quad. I was able to control the settings and start and stop video with the CGO phone app. I could see the image on the phone but there was a bit of lag. It seems to work fine except for the tilt. I connected it to the F2 channel on mt NAZA controller which works with my other gimbals but I get no response. Here's a short test video from the quad 1080p 30fps. Would have looked better with an ND filter.

Attachments

• CGO3 on folding quad close.jpg
    CGO3 on folding quad close.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 6
  • CGO3 on folding quad.jpg
    CGO3 on folding quad.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Finally got the CGO3 tilt function working on my folding quad. Used a servo tester to initialize it. This is a temporary kludge that shows it will work. I will program a chip to do this automatically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval