Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Follow Me/Watch Me with OA and RS, Jerky H Movement...

Reaction score
Had a chance today to test my TH "Adv" with the RS module I bought and attached last month. Seems to do okay when I'm flying it towards and obstacle and it "senses" it. It does a good job of moving around the obstacle.

But I noticed a couple weird things; Since its Winter here, the sun isn't very high on the horizon, I noticed with RS and OA turned on, it will occasionally stop or get a false reading like there is an obstacle in front of it when facing the sun. Did I read this was a "sporadic" problem with RS facing the sun? With my back to the Sun, I flew it away from me. At about 1000 feet away I turned it around and it moved towards me a few feet but then it stopped coming back towards me. It wouldn't come forward anymore. I switched off OA and it still didn't want to come back towards me. So I turned it away from me (sun) and flew it backwards to me. Later on I tried flying towards the sun and didn't have any issues....

I noticed a couple issues with Follow Me/Watch Me with OA on and in Smart Mode (with the RS module). I'll put myself(controller) in the center of the frame then switch on OA, Smart Mode, Follow Me, yet the TH will wander and "jerk" around trying to find me. I also played with the order turning those things on with no difference. I won't call it drifting, but it will move a few feet in random directions trying to get me in frame. Sometimes it finds me, sometimes it doesn't. When it does "think" its found me, I'm usually at the very edge of the frame if at all.

When it does think it has me in frame, it quits "hunting" and moving around, BUT its movements are very jerky. I didn't shoot any footage today. I will next time...

I was wondering if anyone thats added RS to their TH "Adv" are seeing similar issues...

(BTW, I'm on the current firmware for the gimbal, ST-16, and TH, its all calibrated and flies just fine in Angle Mode and Smart mode with OA turned off, Kp Index was 2, no wind, battery fully charged, powered on ST-16 first then TH, plenty of satellites for both controller and TH, waited several minutes to ensure Ephemeris data was updated, same place I always fly when doing "test" flights where there is no Wifi interference in the middle of basically nowhere on the Front Range of Colorado)

Hey QB, how's it going?:)
I've long noticed that my RS H in Follow Me Mode does not necessarily keep me in the picture. In Watch Me Mode it does better. Sometimes you have to adjust the Tilt beforehand. The number of GPS Sats that the ST16 (or Wizard) has locked also affects the quality of those modes.

I have not had much problem with the Sun angle, but Yuneec does mention that possibility. The RealSense firmware needs tweaking, and I'm hoping we'll see that soon, along with better integration of the IPS functions.

Reactions: QuadBart
Had a chance today to test my TH "Adv" with the RS module I bought and attached last month. Seems to do okay when I'm flying it towards and obstacle and it "senses" it. It does a good job of moving around the obstacle.

But I noticed a couple weird things; Since its Winter here, the sun isn't very high on the horizon, I noticed with RS and OA turned on, it will occasionally stop or get a false reading like there is an obstacle in front of it when facing the sun. Did I read this was a "sporadic" problem with RS facing the sun? With my back to the Sun, I flew it away from me. At about 1000 feet away I turned it around and it moved towards me a few feet but then it stopped coming back towards me. It wouldn't come forward anymore. I switched off OA and it still didn't want to come back towards me. So I turned it away from me (sun) and flew it backwards to me. Later on I tried flying towards the sun and didn't have any issues....

I noticed a couple issues with Follow Me/Watch Me with OA on and in Smart Mode (with the RS module). I'll put myself(controller) in the center of the frame then switch on OA, Smart Mode, Follow Me, yet the TH will wander and "jerk" around trying to find me. I also played with the order turning those things on with no difference. I won't call it drifting, but it will move a few feet in random directions trying to get me in frame. Sometimes it finds me, sometimes it doesn't. When it does "think" its found me, I'm usually at the very edge of the frame if at all.

When it does think it has me in frame, it quits "hunting" and moving around, BUT its movements are very jerky. I didn't shoot any footage today. I will next time...

I was wondering if anyone thats added RS to their TH "Adv" are seeing similar issues...

(BTW, I'm on the current firmware for the gimbal, ST-16, and TH, its all calibrated and flies just fine in Angle Mode and Smart mode with OA turned off, Kp Index was 2, no wind, battery fully charged, powered on ST-16 first then TH, plenty of satellites for both controller and TH, waited several minutes to ensure Ephemeris data was updated, same place I always fly when doing "test" flights where there is no Wifi interference in the middle of basically nowhere on the Front Range of Colorado)
I just experienced this "hunting" issue yesterday. Very unsettling when it happens. I'm flying a TH + . My TH+ starts to jerk this way and that way trying to find me. It never does. I've done the calibration to the drone. Is there a compass calibration for the ST16? I'm new to this drone and have a lot to learn. any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Did the Main LED display solid green with a white flash every two seconds? Follow Me/Watch Me requires good GPS on both the aircraft and the ST16 or Wizard Wand. You also need to have the aircraft at least 8 meters from the ST16.

Reactions: 7cyclops
GPS was good and locked in. I turned off obstacle avoidance, this seemed to fix the issue. Didn’t have time to check and see if it still works avoid objects. Am I missing something here? Should Obstacle avoidance to be turned off when using the follow me mode? Thanks for any help

GPS was good and locked in. I turned off obstacle avoidance, this seemed to fix the issue. Didn’t have time to check and see if it still works avoid objects. Am I missing something here? Should Obstacle avoidance to be turned off when using the follow me mode? Thanks for any help

Sorry about the poor English, the voice recognition didn’t quite catch what I was saying.

Did you let the drone sit for 15 minutes to let it familiarize itself with location of sattelites,,forgot the real term scuse me.Also set for a while to make sure internal 3volt battery gets a charge. Have you read extended manual here ?? Lots to learn as I have been doing with stuff I picked up on here. Good luck to you. I never use obstacle avoidance. Peace KC Also I just realized this is an old thread,but this may help someone.I was just following the Doom !

Did you let the drone sit for 15 minutes to let it familiarize itself with location of sattelites,,forgot the real term scuse me.Also set for a while to make sure internal 3volt battery gets a charge. Have you read extended manual here ?? Lots to learn as I have been doing with stuff I picked up on here. Good luck to you. I never use obstacle avoidance. Peace KC Also I just realized this is an old thread,but this may help someone.I was just following the Doom !
Thanks for the info 7c! I did GPS calibration before flying. I’ll look for the extended manual.

Reactions: 7cyclops

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis