Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Follow up H Plus crash

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, my month old H Plus crashed from 80 feet right in front of me and was totaled. Yuneec instructed me to send it to their repair shop, KAV in Kansas City where their techs examined the telemetry and determine that the failure was caused by a bad battery cell. One bad cell crashed my H Plus. KAV sent me a new aircraft and battery with no questions asked. They were great to work with and very professional. Product failures happen. The measure of the manufacturer is how they handle failures. The two week interim gave me a chance to fly my older H Pro which is also a great drone. I have a Mavic Pro and Evo but seem to spend more time flying the Hs.
My thanks to Steve Carr for getting involved to look at the telemetry.
Bill Dunnuck

Good deal, Bill, as to the recovery from your mishap.

The question now is “would regular battery testing (balance, internal resistance monitoring) have possibly prevented something like this from happening, assuming a pilot knows what conditions are good and which readings are suspect.

I, for one, am curious what the bad cell was telling us. I know we will never know unless KAV told you or will tell you. More a rhetorical thought.

Good luck with your new craft!

Jeff

Good deal, Bill, as to the recovery from your mishap.

The question now is “would regular battery testing (balance, internal resistance monitoring) have possibly prevented something like this from happening, assuming a pilot knows what conditions are good and which readings are suspect.

I, for one, am curious what the bad cell was telling us. I know we will never know unless KAV told you or will tell you. More a rhetorical thought.

Good luck with your new craft!

Jeff

Good question. The battery showed 16.2 after the crash. I just ordered the DY5 H Plus multi charger which shows individual cells. Not sure that will make any difference. The Plus is a great aircraft but so is the Pro.

Good question. The battery showed 16.2 after the crash. I just ordered the DY5 H Plus multi charger which shows individual cells. Not sure that will make any difference. The Plus is a great aircraft but so is the Pro.

The DY5 will make a difference in that one can monitor whether the cells are balanced or not. It will not show internal resistance though.

So, Kav figured out that there was a cell deviation via telemetry?

I really want to know of how they are reading telemetry logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCH
So, Kav figured out that there was a cell deviation via telemetry?

I really want to know, who they are reading telemetry logs.
Perhaps they couldn't tell, or they didn't want to publicise the fault or just couldn't find enough info from the logs to pass the blame, so just gave the OP another drone?

Might of been better getting a charger to measure IR. A few around for roughly the same price as a DY5 and future proof.

There is no way to determine if the battery has a bad cell from reading the telemetry as there are only the outside leads connected inside the aircraft.

The telemetry can show sag in the output of the battery when placed under a stressful load.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval