Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Frustration abounds

Reaction score
Good-day all,
This might be a long post so bear with me.
the last few days have been somewhat frustrating to say the least.
2 days ago I went to the field and attempted to go flying.
After activating the st16 and then the H I was met with frantic blue flashing led and crazy beeping!!!
WTF said he to himself and aloud.
After an hour and a half of trying to correct the issue I gave up and went home.
That pm and evening after much research I deleted the model and created a new one and eventually got a bind.
I say eventually as it took several delete/create new models and numerous attempts to get the fast orange flashing to enable binding.
So....this morning I again went to the field and attempted to fly.
Nooooo.....Acquiring, acquiring etc etc. VERY occasionally I would get a green ready which would drop out after about 1 second.
After a hour I gave up.
I did have up to 18 sats on the st16 and up to 15 showing on the bird, voltage and little else.
Turning off gps would not allow the motors to spin.
I am now at home, indoors and have 16 sats on the st16 and 14 on the bird voltage and a weird altitude figure.
I have the bird connected to the GUI and have the following info
Sensors are green across the board.
Engine test is ok
Accellerometer x 1-4 up & down, y 18-20 up & down, magnitude 900 variable
Gyro x 13-16, y 0-2, z 12-13
Orientation roll -.2, pitch 2.7, yaw 15-16
Compass x 160 variable, y 18-21, z -500 variable
Pressure 999.76, temp 54.52 ???, height -.75

GPS screen is showing me 13 green, 3 orange all fluctuating and shows 35/36 used in calculation
Lat and long show correct information
Here's a cracker, altitude shows 195400 and fluctuating up and down
HDOP .67
Velocity x 2.0, y 0, z 0

In the time it has taken me to write this the bird has achieved a ready signal about 3 times and lost it immediately.
It has apparently also gone from 3m altitude to 6m altitude while sitting here on the desk.???

If anyone has managed to get through all of this and has any ideas to help alleviate my frustration I would be a happy camper and extremely grateful
Anticipating many useful and not so useful responses to my woes
Regards all
Pete

On page 22 LED Status Indications.
don't, worry about the altitude while it sits there, to be expected.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
On page 22 LED Status Indications.
don't, worry about the altitude while it sits there, to be expected.

Been there , read that....no mention of crazy blue rapid flashing and beeping!!!!!
Which, by the way, I seem to have got rid of!!
Now just sits there with the triple purple disco light and the occasional beep and burp...
I carry the color card in the bag at all times, never seems very useful for whatever is happening at the time

Last edited:
Take a look at this thread TP Led Lights on H. What I don’t like seeing in your post is the GPS dropping right after getting the aquired status, it may indicate you have a GPS module going bad. Usually the aircraft will acquire more satellites than the ST-16, not the other way around.

Take a look at this thread TP Led Lights on H. What I don’t like seeing in your post is the GPS dropping right after getting the aquired status, it may indicate you have a GPS module going bad. Usually the aircraft will acquire more satellites than the ST-16, not the other way around.

Hi DM,
That's interesting.
I had no idea that the bird acquired sats independent of the st16.
I always thought the st acquired and handed off to the bird
I thought that because even if you don't power up the bird the st acquires sats, ergo has its own gps module.
So, I suppose either gps module could be dodgy.
Do you know if there is any way to test either module??

Hi DM,
That's interesting.
I had no idea that the bird acquired sats independent of the st16.
I always thought the st acquired and handed off to the bird
I thought that because even if you don't power up the bird the st acquires sats, ergo has its own gps module.
So, I suppose either gps module could be dodgy.
Hi,
When you say "I always thought the st acquired and handed off to the bird" that is accurate as far as it goes. The H does receive that info from the ST16 so it can find it when needed. But it also has its own receiver under that protrusion on the top marked GPS. That pressure reading you supplied looks strange. I recall reading somewhere that one of the first things the H does when starting is checking the pressure. It seems that if it identified a problem, what your seeing might be the result. Sorry, I don't know how to verify that the GPS is working properly in either.

Actually it was the temperature that aroused my interest as it was only around low 20'sc when I connected the gui.
Certainly not in the 50's
I hadn't checked the pressure, but it is about 1014 at the moment outside, although it does sometimes go down to the high 900's when a weather change comes thru.

You are testing it when you wait for it to acquire sats and also when connecting to the GUI.
I agree the GPS module in the H appears to be erratic. As long as the H has a view of the open sky it should be able to acquire satellites in 5-8 min under normal circumstances and a max of 13 min if it hasn't been flown for several days.

The rapid flashing blue light indicates it is not bound to the controller. If there is rapid beeping it means the right stick isn't centered.

My suggested next step would be to do a factory reset of the controller and then create a new model and re-bind. Then take the H outside and see how long it takes to get at least 15 satellites and a steady "Ready" status.

The altitude reading is reset to zero when you start the motors. Drift is normal as the internal temp of the H changes. Sometimes I start and stop the motors a few times before I get a somewhat stable altitude reading.

You are testing it when you wait for it to acquire sats and also when connecting to the GUI.
I agree the GPS module in the H appears to be erratic. As long as the H has a view of the open sky it should be able to acquire satellites in 5-8 min under normal circumstances and a max of 13 min if it hasn't been flown for several days.

The rapid flashing blue light indicates it is not bound to the controller. If there is rapid beeping it means the right stick isn't centered.

My suggested next step would be to do a factory reset of the controller and then create a new model and re-bind. Then take the H outside and see how long it takes to get at least 15 satellites and a steady "Ready" status.

The altitude reading is reset to zero when you start the motors. Drift is normal as the internal temp of the H changes. Sometimes I start and stop the motors a few times before I get a somewhat stable altitude reading.

Thanks for that info Steve.
I think I had sussed out the blue/beeping problem when I finally created a new model and re-bound.
I had noticed at one point that when in hardware monitor, if I moved the left stick J3 would also move. Also J3 was extremely slow to "recenter".
I pulled out the 2 rubber plugs and sprayed in the back (and front) a couple times and wriggled and jiggled a bit which seemed to resolve that situation.
Thanks again and I'll try the controller reset...can't make things any worse
Can it???:rolleyes:
cheers

It has been a couple of months since I have used the GUI so I’m not sure what it checks on the GPS module. The other thing is that indoors it is easy to lose the aquired status even with several satellites, as reflections and attenuated signals are common indoors.

I suspect the temp reading is probably correct since the aircraft is sitting indoors powered up without any airflow and the temp sensor is inside the housing. A lot like temp sensors on a PC near the CPU or GPU.

It has been a couple of months since I have used the GUI so I’m not sure what it checks on the GPS module. The other thing is that indoors it is easy to lose the aquired status even with several satellites, as reflections and attenuated signals are common indoors.

I suspect the temp reading is probably correct since the aircraft is sitting indoors powered up without any airflow and the temp sensor is inside the housing. A lot like temp sensors on a PC near the CPU or GPU.

Thanks DM,
I kinda figured that might be the case as I had the bird turned on basically for an hour at the field (no flying, no motors) so it could have got that high I guess.
Didn't think of it when I saw the temp, I should have got my trusty ir temp-mobile out and checked

Frustrations are subsiding and will subside a bit further with a couple of frosty ales.!!!
Went thru the Factory reset as you detailed and using the original Typhoon H icon I rebound the bird and camera.
Did all 3 calibrations (although in yard with building and metal fencing around)
Nevertheless I actually got gps ready and maintained, mostly,..location wasn't helping. Yeeehaaaaa!!!
I will try to get out to the field early in the morning before the temperatures get too excessive and recalibrate and try to actually fly.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks for all the advice guys, very much appreciated
cheers
Pete

I will try to get out to the field early in the morning before the temperatures get too excessive
Beware of high temps with the H. The GPS module sits on top of the aircraft within an insulated RF shield. The result can be excessive heat build up if the sun is adding addition heat on a hot day. During last summers blazing hot days in the US several H owners reported problems with the GPS module and many of those had to be replaced. The flight controller is also susceptible to high temps and can be permanently damaged as well.

I guess norwiscpilot and rotorheadguy don't have to worry too much about overheating problems.
That may be part of my problem.
We've had a long stretch of excessively hot weather down here, up in the 40'sc daytime and not below 30c nigh time with no chance to shed much heat.
Just hope I don't have any permanent problems
cheers
Pete

OK...another frustrating day.
I had all connected, calibrated everything at the field....
acquiring...almost immediate "ready" which was a bit suss to start with, then back to acq, acq ready, acq etc etc
Gave up and drove 100km and bought some new garden equipment:eek:
Decided to pull the top cover and check GPS module.
All looked ok!!
Did a bit of a search and found a much earlier post re the battery on the module.
It is a rechargeable battery (MS621FE -3 volt)
It is soldered to the board
I assume it recharges as necessary from the main typhoon battery.

Should I be able to get a 3v reading with my multimeter??

I can't get any solid reading at all.
If that battery has died for whatever reason, that would mean that the module could not save any gps data being acquired and therefore would be continually acquiring.
IE...dead module as I don't wish to replace the battery, although for a couple of dollars it might be worth a try.
My soldering skills would probably fry the battery and the board!!!!
I'm ok with buying a new module if that is the consensus of the group. but at probably another $80+ to me here in Oz it's my last preferred choice
Opinions??????
cheers
Pete

Hi Pete,
Seems like if the battery was just dead, and not shorted, It would just take a long time to acquire the GPS data but all would be okay until the main power was removed. I can't see any reason why checking with a meter would be a problem.

Is this the thread you referred to above?

carefully battery gps

I would be tempted to try replacing the battery before ordering a new GPS module if all was working ok before. Any chance you are still in the warranty period and could have Yuneec pay for the replacement module?

Is this the thread you referred to above?

carefully battery gps

I would be tempted to try replacing the battery before ordering a new GPS module if all was working ok before. Any chance you are still in the warranty period and could have Yuneec pay for the replacement module?

Different thread.
The thread I saw was back in 16, but looks like the same video.
I have turned on the h and left it for 10-15 minutes, but I still can't get a reading off the battery.
Just a solid zero.
You would think with all the hours I've had the H turned on over the past couple of weeks, and especially the past few days that there would be a good charge in the battery
I've done a search and there's no-one in these here parts that sell that battery
I would have to import one
So that would be a few weeks messing around waiting for the batt to arrive and then hopefully installing it and it all working properly
I've also done a search for the module, but so far it's all backorder or no stock.
Will keep searching and if I find one I'll order it.
I would rather have a new unit than mess about with an old one

It also concerns me somewhat that a new gps/compass module for the H is $40 whereas the Naza V2 is at least $160, so quality could be a problem
cheers

Last edited:
Not a quality issue, just a greed issue. Drone GPS units are not very expensive.

A rapid blue flashing light accompanied by beeping indicates the system needs calibration performed through the ST-16’s hidden menu. Alternatively it could mean you have a control stick deflected on the ST-16.

Don’t gauge GPS performance with the system inside a building. GPS signals are severely degraded when inside buildings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt