Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fun Compass/Yaw Stuff

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
After deciding to adjust the altitude limit of an H this evening I was in the GUI and started looking closer at a few things. Something that has always been there but I never paid attention to was the relationship of yaw position to the compass. Some or most of you may already know about about this, but I didn't. It also became evident how the H establishes the yaw values noted in the telemetry.

For values, the H uses Zero as the base or home reference position with yaw to the east (or right) of zero being a positive value and yaw to the west (or left) of zero a negative value. Here's the fun part; Zero is magnetic north. Not true north, but magnetic, or the direction a compass needle is pointing to reference north. That it uses magnetic north as a zero reference may well make having the H facing north for the compass calibration a very important detail.

Next time you connect to the GUI, check it out for yourself. Look at the yaw value and rotate the aircraft to watch the value change. Note where zero point happens. It will probably be when the front of the H is pointing north.

Good find. I haven't connected to the GUI in awhile so I'll have to check it out.
I still want to check the telemetry and see if it reports the same thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox