Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Get mine tomorrow........and its going to blow all day .

Reaction score
Yeah.....newb here , just stepped up from my scratch built little quads to this thing .It should show up tomorrow am ....but we have a serious front coming in and the winds will be way up most of the day . So......i will be tinkering with it most of tomorrow ......i have read a few of the threads here but was wondering if anyone wanted to share their "must read before flying " favorites . Also was wondering if there is anything special to look out for on brand new birds ? Thanks in advance for any input .

Yeah.....newb here , just stepped up from my scratch built little quads to this thing .It should show up tomorrow am ....but we have a serious front coming in and the winds will be way up most of the day . So......i will be tinkering with it most of tomorrow ......i have read a few of the threads here but was wondering if anyone wanted to share their "must read before flying " favorites . Also was wondering if there is anything special to look out for on brand new birds ? Thanks in advance for any input .
Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great experience with your Q.
A few things are not in the manual so I'll mention them here.
1. The controller and the Q500 both have GPS and they need a clear view of the sky to get a good lock. The Q will store the last location it was used to make getting a sat lock faster. Since this a new location perhaps 1000's of miles away, you need to allow the Q to sit outside after turning on the power and with the motors off, about 12.5 minutes. That will allow time for the GPS to finish updating. Later flights only need a couple of minutes.
2. Stay back about 30' from the aircraft when you launch. Take off with full power until you are up about 15' and then let it hover. Gently test the controls to make sure they work properly. If they do not, land immediately.
3. The controller is "Home", not the launch point. If you walk 500' then that is the new home point.
4. The first few landing can be tricky because of the prop wash hitting the ground which makes the Q bounce when it gets a couple of feet above the ground. Try to pick a landing spot that is protected from the wind. If you slowly descend to about 10" above the ground, press and hold the red button. The Q will land itself and turn off the motors. That will save your props. This is the way I still land.

There are lots of good tutorials on Youtube. Jeff has made a lot of them listed below. They aren't in any kind of order so pick what looks good to you.

Jeff Sibelius

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great experience with your Q.
A few things are not in the manual so I'll mention them here.
1. The controller and the Q500 both have GPS and they need a clear view of the sky to get a good lock. The Q will store the last location it was used to make getting a sat lock faster. Since this a new location perhaps 1000's of miles away, you need to allow the Q to sit outside after turning on the power and with the motors off, about 12.5 minutes. That will allow time for the GPS to finish updating. Later flights only need a couple of minutes.
2. Stay back about 30' from the aircraft when you launch. Take off with full power until you are up about 15' and then let it hover. Gently test the controls to make sure they work properly. If they do not, land immediately.
3. The controller is "Home", not the launch point. If you walk 500' then that is the new home point.
4. The first few landing can be tricky because of the prop wash hitting the ground which makes the Q bounce when it gets a couple of feet above the ground. Try to pick a landing spot that is protected from the wind. If you slowly descend to about 10" above the ground, press and hold the red button. The Q will land itself and turn off the motors. That will save your props. This is the way I still land.

There are lots of good tutorials on Youtube. Jeff has made a lot of them listed below. They aren't in any kind of order so pick what looks good to you.

Jeff Sibelius
well not a good start.............the charger seems to be crap , plugged it in and the green light on the charger blinked then went out , no lights on charger and the power supply green light is going dim then bright ? Am i missing something or is my charger crap right out the box ? thanks for any help

well not a good start.............the charger seems to be crap , plugged it in and the green light on the charger blinked then went out , no lights on charger and the power supply green light is going dim then bright ? Am i missing something or is my charger crap right out the box ? thanks for any help
i have a regular lipo charger that i would rather use anyway .........thunder power dual charger with a charge board , any reason i cant use it ? A 3s 5400 is a 3s 5400 .....right ?

i have a regular lipo charger that i would rather use anyway .........thunder power dual charger with a charge board , any reason i cant use it ? A 3s 5400 is a 3s 5400 .....right ?
Yes that is correct and a better charger I'm sure. I prefer to charge at 3.5 amps or less. Others have different ways to do it.

thanks thats what i shall do .
My charger wants to have the main leads connected not just the balance leads ...........guess i need to make a cable ..........what type (name) of connector is that on the battery ? Thanks

EC3 ?

Last edited:
Well.........now the ST10 wont power up ...red lights on.... thats it ....no screen .......nothing....it was charged overnight . Anyone know a reset trick or...........anything ?
wont charge either................crap!

I have not even put the props on and my gut is telling me to box it back up .:(

wont charge either................crap!
I have not even put the props on and my gut is telling me to box it back up .:(
Can you return it or get an exchange? I agree. You shouldn't be having these problems.

Of all the quadcopters on the market, the Q500 has been one of the most reliable and solid quads ever built. But just like any machine there is always a chance of getting a lemon. I've owned 5 and still have a couple. The 3 I sold locally are still flying with no problems. One of those was an original from 2014.

Can you return it or get an exchange? I agree. You shouldn't be having these problems.

Of all the quadcopters on the market, the Q500 has been one of the most reliable and solid quads ever built. But just like any machine there is always a chance of getting a lemon. I've owned 5 and still have a couple. The 3 I sold locally are still flying with no problems. One of those was an original from 2014.

Purchased it from Horizon and have always been treated well by them so i will see..........think i will ask for a swap out .
Thanks for your help , i will let you know how it goes .

Purchased it from Horizon and have always been treated well by them so i will see..........think i will ask for a swap out .
Thanks for your help , i will let you know how it goes .

Well ....more problems , 4th flight and i have no rudder . Put it up in a hover then try to do a 360 shot and no rudder............nothing ...everything else is working but i cant rotate or pirouette. And i have some shadows rolling through the pic at times .

Well ....more problems , 4th flight and i have no rudder . Put it up in a hover then try to do a 360 shot and no rudder............nothing ...everything else is working but i cant rotate or pirouette. And i have some shadows rolling through the pic at times .

Sounds like a lemon to me. No product should experience this new out of a box. I know you don’t want to be without the bird. But better be safe then sorry. That bird has some issues that should be addressed before something happens.

Sounds like a lemon to me. No product should experience this new out of a box. I know you don’t want to be without the bird. But better be safe then sorry. That bird has some issues that should be addressed before something happens.

So..........today i put 2 batteries through it with no anomalies ...?
Seems like i get the warning with vibration about restricting altitude at about 6-7 min....? Normal ? What is the "real" expected flight times ?
My flight batteries are probably from 2014 ..........is 20 min realistic ?

thanks for your input in advance .

So..........today i put 2 batteries through it with no anomalies ...?
Seems like i get the warning with vibration about restricting altitude at about 6-7 min....? Normal ? What is the "real" expected flight times ?
My flight batteries are probably from 2014 ..........is 20 min realistic ?

thanks for your input in advance .

Lol. That’s your issue. 3 year old lipos would lose there juice over time. I have some batteries that operate like those. Just not for the h. And those are a couple years old.

Lol. That’s your issue. 3 year old lipos would lose there juice over time. I have some batteries that operate like those. Just not for the h. And those are a couple years old.
Yeah...that figures , are there any aftermarket choices ?

Yes there are some choices on amazon, eBay, etc. I would keep a eye out for puffy ones. That usually goes with the territory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech