Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Good prop balancer

Reaction score
I want to buy some extra props. ..So I was wondering do I need a prop balancer?

I want to buy some extra props. ..So I was wondering do I need a prop balancer?

hi Rey,

First, welcome to the forum! Hope you find plenty of information to help you get the most out of your machines, while at the same time sharing what you feel may be helpful to others.

Second, hope you have a good sense of humor, which will apply to the third:

Third: You do not need a prop balancer in order to buy extra props! (See? Some of just cannot resist! Hopefully comments like this illicit chuckles, as they are intended to do.)

As for the real need for prop balancing, you can get by without. But... if you do a search here "Prop balancing" you are likely to find a lot of opinions stating things like: "To get the most out of your machine", "to save wear and tear on your motors and hardware", and more.

One will also reveal something like: "Think of your car tires. Do you have to balance them? No. Will you notice? At low speeds, maybe not. Push the pedal and you might. Will they [tires] last longer if properly balanced (along with alignment, et al) - most likely."

Hope this helps answer your question, and also brings that chuckle worthy of a Friday afternoon with those weekend activities and libations getting closer in view.

Jeff

Reactions: rey83
In general, prop balancing is intended to minimize artifacts such as "jello" in video footage... much more so than wear and tear on the motors, though I'm sure that is a side benefit as well.

In general, prop balancing is intended to minimize artifacts such as "jello" in video footage... much more so than wear and tear on the motors, though I'm sure that is a side benefit as well.

Eagle,

Now having experienced “jello” first hand, and that being the camera actually vibrating... if the props are out of balance enough to cause “jello” they definitely are out of balance enough to affect the whole system! Just sayin’.

Jeff

P.S. as we continue to dig, I wouldn’t be surprised if this jello effect doesn’t turn out to be more of a camera “feedback/vibration” issue rather than airframe vibration caused. Basing thus solely on my own plus recent revelations of “motors” off; jello on.

I simply cover as many bases as possible and eliminate any potential culprits... inexpensive and easy enough to implement. :)

You piqued my curiosity so I broke out my DuBro balancer and a box of Yuneec props. Two out of three props were so close that I left them alone. The one that needed work didn't need much. I guess the take away is that yes there is room for improvement, but you can fly them without balancing and you will not get a lot of vibration, at least with the Yuneec props. I'm sure this is one place that you would see a big difference between the Yuneec props and the after market cheapies.

Old thread but may be useful for a NOOB like me search. I inherited some used props with obvious wear (scruff ?) marks and suspected they may need balancing. From other comments on the forum I found you only need the correct rod and a glass to verify their balance. I found the rod at Amazon.com: Dubro Products 3383 Quadcopter Prop Balancer Shaft 8mm x 1.0 : Toys & Games . (Dubro Products 3383 Quadcopter Prop Balancer Shaft 8mm x 1.0) From others on the forum more wise, a bit of clear tape under the prop can be used to balance it. I don't know if the tape is better close to the shaft or further out. If there is better knowledge, feel free to advise. Enjoy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval