Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

gps compass tower ?

johnnyb57

Lost in Space
Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone use this, Does it really improve things I mean for $7 its cheap enough ? Let me know

Anyone use this, Does it really improve things I mean for $7 its cheap enough ? Let me know
I bought one of these, (even without the link I know what you are talking about, it's the only $7.00 GPS tower out there). Yes it is cheap alright, and in theory it should help by elevating the GPS board. Even an inch would help somewhat. It sure won't make anything worse.

I never mounted mine because it's not pretty to look at due to the cheap looking 3D printer pattern (which I hate), so I got cold feet and put it off.

If you really want to improve the GPS location, get the tower that @John Hennessy is working on (if he ever gets around to selling them;)). His puts the GPS board in a much better location, although it is a bit harder to look at than the $7.00 version. OK, it's a lot harder to look at, but a far better location because it puts the GPS above the motors and props.

Purchased on of John's towers and mounted it on one of my H Pro's. The tower works as promised, no downsides that I have been able to find.

The choice in equipment comes down to priorities; is our emphasis on appearance or performance?

If appearance takes priority we want something that looks sleek and is installed low profile. If we want best performance we elevate the GPS a “considerable” distance above the rest of the system electronics. It does not look as streamlined but the performance is greatly superior.

There’s a reason custom builds and higher end platforms place the GPS on a mast. So make a choice, do you want to look good or do you want to get the work done? Personally, I don’t think winning a drone beauty contest will get the bills paid.

I have installed two of them, I feel like they would/should help some but no way of knowing for sure.
They don't win any beauty contest but not that bad looking.
Your decision, can't hurt and an easy mod.

The choice in equipment comes down to priorities; is our emphasis on appearance or performance?

If appearance takes priority we want something that looks sleek and is installed low profile. If we want best performance we elevate the GPS a “considerable” distance above the rest of the system electronics. It does not look as streamlined but the performance is greatly superior.

There’s a reason custom builds and higher end platforms place the GPS on a mast. So make a choice, do you want to look good or do you want to get the work done? Personally, I don’t think winning a drone beauty contest will get the bills paid.
I'm with you on this Pat, function over form. Like you said, pretty don't pay the bills, unless you are a lady of the evening ;)

I won’t get into a lady of the evening discussion as our wives don’t much care for seeing their service fees getting under cut.

However, I will say that having a well functioning GPS and compass system is very anticlimactic. When everything is right nothing bad happens so you don’t notice anything. Hovers will beca but more stable, satellite acquisition is a smidge faster snd you might “see” a few note than before. Things just feel a little better.

Is raising the GPS considered a modification? So in theory is not permitted like the adding of a 4hawks range extender, obviously wouldn't be a problem unless something happened,

Is raising the GPS considered a modification? So in theory is not permitted like the adding of a 4hawks range extender, obviously wouldn't be a problem unless something happened,
Also of consideration is the attitude to such a modification by insurance companies. Yes, raising the GPS up above the aircraft will only be of benefit...certainly not a negative if instillation is done properly, but an insurance company isn't in the business of paying out if it can find a reason not to.

I would advise anyone of thinking about this mod to check with their insurance provider first. Simply declaring the mod will often be enough but do check first.

Reactions: Top Wilson
I would read the policy first to determine if such exclusions were even present. In the U.S. the federal authorities have specified only the pilot bears responsibility of assuring the aircraft is safe for flight.

Using the federal rules, if any pilot could establish that a product was delivered by a manufacturer with known defects, something not hard to do with the wealth of evidence of issues with firmware, toilet bowling, fly aways, shaking gimbals, tilted camera horizons, and other issues well noted across various brands, making changes to the GPS height could be established as a product improvement increasing safety and reliability.

Changing antennas was mentioned earlier. In the U.S., unless you have an amateur radio license and proved through testing that modification of the antennas does not induce issues, such modification would violate FCC standards that prohibit people from altering the radio system. The GPS is not part of the radio link.

Here in the U.S. you can self build a multirotor using any equipment you desire and it can be insured. The builder/pilot needs only assure the aircraft is safe for flight. There are no certification standards for insurers to reference.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Also of consideration is the attitude to such a modification by insurance companies. Yes, raising the GPS up above the aircraft will only be of benefit...certainly not a negative if instillation is done properly, but an insurance company isn't in the business of paying out if it can find a reason not to.

I would advise anyone of thinking about this mod to check with their insurance provider first. Simply declaring the mod will often be enough but do check first.
Pretty much check your insurance, and rules will be different across the globe, is it CE marked the H cant remember?

... is it CE marked the H cant remember?
Dunno. Should be. I'd check but my H is packed away until we get better weather.

Edit: Just seen a picture of a damaged H in another thread and clearly saw the CE mark...so yes.

Last edited:
I would read the policy first to determine if such exclusions were even present. In the U.S. the federal authorities have specified only the pilot bears responsibility of assuring the aircraft is safe for flight.

Using the federal rules, if any pilot could establish that a product was delivered by a manufacturer with known defects, something not hard to do with the wealth of evidence of issues with firmware, toilet bowling, fly aways, shaking gimbals, tilted camera horizons, and other issues well noted across various brands, making changes to the GPS height could be established as a product improvement increasing safety and reliability.

Changing antennas was mentioned earlier. In the U.S., unless you have an amateur radio license and proved through testing that modification of the antennas does not induce issues, such modification would violate FCC standards that prohibit people from altering the radio system. The GPS is not part of the radio link.

Here in the U.S. you can self build a multirotor using any equipment you desire and it can be insured. The builder/pilot needs only assure the aircraft is safe for flight. There are no certification standards for insurers to reference.
I'll check my commercial policy tomorrow, but I have a vague (very vague) recollection that it mentions something about aircraft modified from the manufacturers standard. (I could be dreaming of course). If it is there, I imagine it'll be in the small print.

Reactions: c10necrp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33