Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS disabled error

Reaction score
I was flying in a fairly tight location: tall trees surrounding my area of clear sky. Good gps status reported before flight. First flight went fine, but shortly into the second I got the GPS disabled error. Got the H down intact, but now I'm nervous. Had several flights since without issues. Trying to read the logs hasn't helped, but I'm not sure what to look for.

So... Two questions: is this preventable? Should I avoid locations with surrounding trees and many gravestones?

Attachments

• YUN000472018-Jul-23 18:04:42.jpg
    YUN000472018-Jul-23 18:04:42.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
It is not a perfect world and GPS is not 100% reliable 100% if the time with any device. We need to understand that GPS is not necessary to fly the Typhoon H. If snd when it drops out the aircraft is still fully controllable but becomes reliant on the operator for guidance using the stick controls.

As you mentioned the warning was GPS unavailable are you certain you did not tap a button on the right side of the screen and accidentally turn it off?

Reactions: otsog
Thanks for the reply!

I know gps is imperfect and hackable, but I haven't had anything like this before or with the DJI Phantoms I've been flying. It was flyable, and I had a convenient open area to land in, but it was about as stable as my old fix pitch heli from ten years ago.

I don't think I hit any software buttons. Wouldn't it take some doing to get to the GPS setting by accident?

It is not a perfect world and GPS is not 100% reliable 100% if the time with any device. We need to understand that GPS is not necessary to fly the Typhoon H. If snd when it drops out the aircraft is still fully controllable but becomes reliant on the operator for guidance using the stick controls.

As you mentioned the warning was GPS unavailable are you certain you did not tap a button on the right side of the screen and accidentally turn it off?

I was flying in a fairly tight location: tall trees surrounding my area of clear sky. Good gps status reported before flight. First flight went fine, but shortly into the second I got the GPS disabled error. Got the H down intact, but now I'm nervous. Had several flights since without issues. Trying to read the logs hasn't helped, but I'm not sure what to look for.

So... Two questions: is this preventable? Should I avoid locations with surrounding trees and many gravestones?

I have had the random GPS disabled warning, but very rarely. I think a reboot, recal, or just another day took care of it.

I mention this as I also fly from a very tree dense area most of the time. When the dock is not extended, and the water has not transformed to human supporting conditions, I have to resort to the driveway and tall trees all around me.

The "lost GPS" is not unexpected. But, when I get the "GPS Disabled" and have to go into the menu to re-enable, that gives me pause. Fortunately I can only recall it happening maybe for one or two flying sessions. Not a regular thing by any means.

Your best bet is to be ready for it. That is my advice, along with what PatR has already stated.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Reactions: otsog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval