Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS Drone Treasure Hunting...

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm Rich and have been considering a new concept idea / using drones. Sort of like the old GPS Geocaching.
Instead, I was pondering, considering how to use Drones. I think the ideas are more or less the same as the Geo Caching sense. But instead of a hands on type deal, where in Geo Caching...

Users would find little buried or hidden boxes, treasure chests.

I'm thinking - the SKY is the limit now. Drone users could attach little hook FLAGS that could then be flown up, attached to things way up and out of sight from down below on the ground. Placing strategic FLAGS in places, where you would have to have clues, discover locations... perhaps in plain sight even. But just around the corner or out of the line of human sight... Placing Flags in certain locations, would make this fun for the more experienced drone pilot. Or adventurer on foot placing them.

But the real fun would be for the pilots... finding them and then; Capturing a photo or video of the Flag.

This could be staged from single flag hunts, riddles to find them... quests, capture 1-5 as a set. The first pilot to find it in a location centralized. The placements and rules to find the flags could be endless. Rewards? But the fun would be, to get your average backyard drone flyer... out of the backyards.

Now using a MAP system like Geocaching has done, setting up locations for ALL TIME finds and then the random ONE TIME only finds... this would most likely appeal to many drone users. Imagine a weekend or day spent, driving to a location, could be a forest, beach, property off the beaten path some wheres. And some wheres inside the perimeters of said location; Could be a single FLAG or dozens to of FLAGS to find. We could make this a technical seek and find *( taking pictures or video ) to a actual CAPTURE the FLAG.

Attaching a light weight metal hook to your drone, you could navigate towards the FLAG and try to hook it.

Rewarding you with a prize apon return of the FLAG. Many people I have tossed this idea around with, like the idea / concept. But it would have to be among the drone community and using everyone's input to get it up and going. I have started to gather map locations and the legality side of flying drones in the area. If this works out? I could be creating a members only club / forum for those that want to help get this going.

Around the world, just like Gecaching...

What do you guys / gals think? Be kind of neat to get out and go treasure hunting, using a drone... right?
Using detailed clues, locations generalized, areas to have a great video / picture outing and possibly findthe hidden flag *(s). Better than just whizzing around the backyard.

Ok... here are some *( test try outs ) using mocked up ideas for the GPS Treasure Hunting game.

Using a simple Ziptie.. wrapped around my Yuneec Breeze drone middle body section... I was able to use a standard key ring for a circle / loop. What's great about this; It actually folds / moves as the drone lands or takes off. Being the Breeze drone has such short legs / stand. So now I have a mock up'd Hoop for attachments. Thinking of using Velcro straps, this way I could ship a once size fits all deal to others. Simply attach the Velcro around your drone, keep wrapping it or trim to fit specific models....

But for now, the idea is to show and give other drone flyers, the idea... of using the drones for finding "HIDDEN" treasure hunts.

Using your camera and pilot skills, being a part of a World Wide GPS Treasure Hunting Club...would allow you to search your local or far away areas for others who have posted, GPS Treasure Hunts. Like Geocaching.... only using drones and trying to find objects hidden out of plain sight. Or even just snapping a picture, video of something hidden. So here's the set up...

I decided to use a magnet for this test run... *( my little drone is strong - but the sensors tell the drone to avoid things below or beside it.)
So I either have to make longer stems / flags to hang below or ? disable the sensors. Next is... the actual magnet versus just a hook flag.
liked the magnet idea. Finding things like metal signs, posts, pretty much anything STEEL could and can be used to attach a flag....

The idea here is, piloting your drone in a whole new way / experience. Your actually going to remember most likely your childhood here.

Remember those helicopters that flew in circles, around and around they went, but they were attached to a rod. You would fly them around up and down, taking off / landing. Add little things, cargo boxes, army men, anything you could practice hooking and picking up. Well now, welcome to the big boy grown up version of that. LOL. Now you too can actually free the copter, release the rod and just go fly anywhere! Add to the fun and excitement of just flying a drone, in your back yard or trying to get that killer YouTube video... selfie, etc.

Try GPS Treasure Hunting.... where you use your drone, to seek and find hidden items, snap shots or actual money prizes. I'm thinking of placing actual cash in a small container, hiding the thing in the most craziest of spots to navigate, but totally reachable and safe for drone recovery if people failed. Using clues, riddles and some pure luck / skills of drone operators / pilots... you'd have to put in effort to solve and find the money Caches. I want to see this take off. Just like Geocaching did and has...

Ok, onto the footage of my drone, idea and mock up Circle / Hoop and Magnetic Hook Flag... here are some pictures, I will get a video up on here next...

Attachments

• 20180209_120351.jpg
    20180209_120351.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20180209_120536.jpg
    20180209_120536.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20180209_122042.jpg
    20180209_122042.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180209_122103.jpg
    20180209_122103.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20180209_122118.jpg
    20180209_122118.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180209_122301.jpg
    20180209_122301.jpg
    888.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180209_122305.jpg
    20180209_122305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Update, since I'm still forced to use a smartphone to control my drone... *if I want to use the camera function, move it around... etc..

I'm struggling with controls, used to the controller.. much much better for actual navigational skills. anyhow,

I have come up with a catch system. Using the sensors on the drone working and functioning, I've decided to use a string... magnetic catch system. This allows a better approch, easier for beginners to catch / grab items...

For placement of hidden GPS treasure items, just use the regular hanging hook system.

But for the seekers... everyone flying a drone, and out on the hunt... time is prescious, a must have. So by using a Magnetic catch system? All ya have to know and do.. is find the location of a well placed; *( keep drone pilots in mind ) friendly spot to hide something. Easy to get to, but out of ordinary sight or danger... placement should always be hidden from plain sight, forcing a pilot to use his viewing camera.

And never risk, not being able to retrieve a drone, because it crashed, and it is impossible to get to. now...

Here is the set up, it worked perfect. It was a simply yard test. A pvc cylinder / pipe, with taped on metal washers.

Still light weight, easy to find and no one walking by would see it. Especially if flown and dropped off on a roof top, set on a pole, placed some where on a hill, rocks, mountain, etc.

Object, fly your drone.. using your onboard camera and controls, pilot your drone to the spot, using clues, riddles, what ever the GPS Treasure Hunter decides to do with their Cache. - placement.

Go seeking, seek & find that stashed little Treasure. Hook it with a magnet, fly away. Bring it back and look inside to see what you've found.

I'm going to start setting up GPS locations, Geo/Drone Grabs. *( grabs are what the treasure spots ) will be called.

Using modern tech, *(average smartphones... you'll travel to the GPS locations, get out your drones, and go looking, spying around, trying to find the Geo/ Grabs.

So... what do you all think?

Attachments

• 20180209_145213.jpg
    20180209_145213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180209_145140.jpg
    20180209_145140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180209_145146.jpg
    20180209_145146.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20180209_145143.jpg
    20180209_145143.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
I'll have to make another magnet GRAB video, something went wrong. Using a hanging hook string magnet setup, it works absolutely great, fast grab times, and just lets you get the drone in there and grab the treasure, return back and see what you've found. I had a really good video of my drone using the lastest updated version. I will shoot another vid soon. Been trying to juggle everything.. would love to see something like Geocache.com set up for drones. Be a lot of fun to travel around, find these little hidden containers. Right?

Hello everyone.
I'm Rich and have been considering a new concept idea / using drones. Sort of like the old GPS Geocaching.
Instead, I was pondering, considering how to use Drones. I think the ideas are more or less the same as the Geo Caching sense. But instead of a hands on type deal, where in Geo Caching...

Users would find little buried or hidden boxes, treasure chests.

I'm thinking - the SKY is the limit now. Drone users could attach little hook FLAGS that could then be flown up, attached to things way up and out of sight from down below on the ground. Placing strategic FLAGS in places, where you would have to have clues, discover locations... perhaps in plain sight even. But just around the corner or out of the line of human sight... Placing Flags in certain locations, would make this fun for the more experienced drone pilot. Or adventurer on foot placing them.

But the real fun would be for the pilots... finding them and then; Capturing a photo or video of the Flag.

This could be staged from single flag hunts, riddles to find them... quests, capture 1-5 as a set. The first pilot to find it in a location centralized. The placements and rules to find the flags could be endless. Rewards? But the fun would be, to get your average backyard drone flyer... out of the backyards.

Now using a MAP system like Geocaching has done, setting up locations for ALL TIME finds and then the random ONE TIME only finds... this would most likely appeal to many drone users. Imagine a weekend or day spent, driving to a location, could be a forest, beach, property off the beaten path some wheres. And some wheres inside the perimeters of said location; Could be a single FLAG or dozens to of FLAGS to find. We could make this a technical seek and find *( taking pictures or video ) to a actual CAPTURE the FLAG.

Attaching a light weight metal hook to your drone, you could navigate towards the FLAG and try to hook it.

Rewarding you with a prize apon return of the FLAG. Many people I have tossed this idea around with, like the idea / concept. But it would have to be among the drone community and using everyone's input to get it up and going. I have started to gather map locations and the legality side of flying drones in the area. If this works out? I could be creating a members only club / forum for those that want to help get this going.

Around the world, just like Gecaching...

What do you guys / gals think? Be kind of neat to get out and go treasure hunting, using a drone... right?
Using detailed clues, locations generalized, areas to have a great video / picture outing and possibly findthe hidden flag *(s). Better than just whizzing around the backyard.
I use mine in the winter to find cellar holes at a lake that was surrounded by cottages in the late 1800's..it's now forever wild.. The old foundations show up nicely from the air. I can then metal detect them.

This will take some doing to get "Drone-Caching" to become an international sport.
In the meantime "The greatest journeys begin with but a single step, Grasshopper" (Master Po - Kung-Fu - circa1972), and you have taken that step.
Congratulations, and well done!
Technically, a magnet attached by string or fish line to a small (1/4x1/4) low-force velcro pad attached to the belly of the drone would be protection for snagging the pickup and losing the drone.
Novice pilots can use this as a skill-building exercise in their 'backyard' and then in conjunction with others at there drone shop of choice.
The Olympic competition will follow its own course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin