Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS fighting with CG03 camera

Reaction score
So this is odd......

Brand new Q500 4K. Never been flown before. Bought it about a year ago and now I'm getting ready to start using it. I've upgraded the firmware on the ST10+ controller, the copter, and the camera. Here's the issue....

When the camera is NOT installed in the copter, everything works (except obviously the camera).
When the camera is installed:
1) The copter will not communicate GPS lock nor GPS coordinates to the controller.
2) The copter does report the number of satellites it is tracking (usually at least 8 or 9).
3) The copter will flash green or purple (3 times) indicating smart/angle flying mode without GPS lock.
4) The propellers will not start when I push the motor start button. I get a few tones from the copter instead.
5) The camera does connect properly to the controller. I see picture and I have camera tilt control.
6) The copter light changes color when I change the flight mode switch. Therefore, I believe both the copter and camera are communicating correctly with the controller.

When I plug the copter into my laptop using the USB programmer the GUI shows all items reading normally. It shows the satellites and displays the lat/long coordinates. It displays everything correctly whether the camera is installed or not.

Since the copter itself doesn't get GPS lock (see #3 above) with the camera installed, I'm guessing the problem isn't the controller. I've calibrated everything with no change.

Ideas anyone?

Number of sats is one indicator for GPS but the main reason for GPS lock or no lock ist the accuracy. Maybe the CGO3 is disturbing the GPS receiver somehow.
Have a look into the FlightLog data. GPS fix can be seen in column 'gps_used', accuracy is in column 'gps_accH' and this is a good indicatior. Lower values are better. 'gps_accH' should be lower than 1.0. Check this column with and without camera if there is a difference.

Possible reasons:
- GPS module is usually shielded by a copper foil. Is is demages or not enough shielded?
- GPS antenna (this ceramic quadratic part) is broken or not correct plugged in.
- One try is, to shield the lower part of the body with aluminium tape. Let the part with horicotale antenna open (the grey cable with open end inside the body).

Controller RF has no influence on GPS receiver inside the copter.

br HE

Edit: By the way - the number of sats for the copter should be 16-18, sometimes I have 20. Not all will be taken into account, only the best signals.
GPS cannot be calibrated, only compass and accelerator.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss