Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS to stop working on April 6th 2019 ?

Yes but we risk missing the point somewhat here - which is that I don't want to have some horrible manual battle with my H every time I go flying ! It's always windy here ! :) Yes it's nice to be in GPS off mode occasionally while developing skills, but I'm damned if I want that every time I fly, and one of the things my H does best, and what I need it most for, is for it to hover motionless in one place while I do panoramics etc. I would be distraught if GPS stopped working. Although I note this doesn't apply to the European or GLONASS satellites, it's still a worry. So much so that I might actually phone Yuneec UK about this to see if they are aware, and to what extent this might affect us.

Last edited:
Until we're absolutely sure this is going to take place, there is no need to worry about for now. Just be prepared is all we can do.
Though it is nice of you to post it.

Reactions: AeroJ
Please!!!!!
Are we going to see a dramatic increase in motor vehicle accidents, multiple and single?
Are all the planes going to fall out of the sky and or fly to the wrong airport?
Surely the system is designed to reset itself, and update any capable systems automatically.
Our birds receive info from the sats constantly, so if they reset should that not be effected in our birds?
And don't call me shirley!!
Come on Pat, straighten us all out, please!!
cheers:D

Time for Beer that day, and see what the next day brings. Or take the wife shopping, could work to our advantage.

Reactions: TyphoonPete
First responders are going to have a hard time getting around.:eek:
Go out drinking with your buddies then call your wife saying your lost!
Ok one more:eek: shoot off a missile and see where it lands?:oops:

Since Tom Tom sent me an e-mail today telling me my old GPS unit will no longer work with their new map software, essentially telling me to buy a new one, the whole think doesn’t matter to me...

Really though, as a while bunch of military weaponry is GPS dependent, our federal airway system is now saturated with GPS approaches, and every transportation delivery system is just about totally reliant on GPS tracking, I seriously doubt there will be any kind of service disruption, especially one that would require replacement of all pre-existing hardware. Seriously, they just put the last GPS satellite in orbit only a few months ago. We might think they would have been aware of a problem before flinging it up there. Then again, it would be nice to see people learn how to use a map again[emoji56]

Lord help us all if the system went down, just about 100% of DJI flyers would be grounded.

Interesting, but no-one really knows for sure if it will be an issue. I remember when Y2K was supposed to happen, the kids were upstairs doing the countdown for New Years eve and I was downstairs at the braker box waiting for them to reach 1.....then I hit the braker on them to shut out the power to the house. Man did they scream.....dad humor is so worth it!

Interesting, but no-one really knows for sure if it will be an issue. I remember when Y2K was supposed to happen, the kids were upstairs doing the countdown for New Years eve and I was downstairs at the braker box waiting for them to reach 1.....then I hit the braker on them to shut out the power to the house. Man did they scream.....dad humor is so worth it!

MMWWahahahahahahaha, No guys I have no idea what happened!!!o_O

Oh man.....the Y2K bug......that was a serious pain for a lot of nothing. Lots of long nights leading up to it.

I thought i read the GPS unit can use other systems if available? So in Europe we could use Galileo?

Actually nobody with a drone which has been updated after 1998 will encounter any problems. The GPS uses its firmware date to interpret what the the number (0-1024) actually means. All 19.7 years it jumps back to 0. The last time this happened was in 1999. Since most of our drones are even newer than 2010, there will be no issue for us. If the firmware was older than 1998, it might interpret the 0 as the first week 19.7 years ago. The first time you are very likely to encounter problems with the drones you are flying right now is November 23rd, 2038.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33