Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gradual Climb

Reaction score
3 times now I have had the Typhoon H Plus in flights where it just gradually climbs. The first time it happened I was only a couple of feet up, and it would not land, I was able to catch & hold, but was unable to land or power off. Eventually had to pull the battery to get the motors off. I assumed this was due to it being in the sun for roughly 20 minutes while I played with camera settings. I figured the barometer or the area around it was hot and caused it. Let it cool, and it was fine.
Then today went out, nice cool day, no sun (so not like prior time). Took off, flew for a couple of minutes and then realized it was still climbing after I stopped commanding a climb. Fortunately it descend upon command and I was able to land and power down as normal. Powered off & back on, and all was good.
Then on second battery of the day, had a repeat of the first. Slow, but measurable, un-commanded climb. Reboot, and then all was good.
Anyone seen anything like that?

Way To Fix Drones project download the document in this post and refer to the Attachment for retrieving the H+ FlightLogs and upload them here along with which flights (date and Time) were giving this problem.

Off hand I would say your left stick is getting oxidized and the throttle is off neutral position in a slightly positive direction. You can check this in the Hardware Monitor.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and Trav H
Slow, but measurable, un-commanded climb
Select RC Monitor in the drop down menu. Check the sticks very carefully to make sure they look smooth on the graphs and and return to EXACTLY zero. Give the sticks a good "stir" prior to launch and while watching them in RC Monitor. Please let us know what you see.

Everything looks good on the RC monitor. All nice and smooth and return to zero.
Attached are today's files. I'm looking for the first occurrence.

Attachments

• 2020-04-24 flight.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Steve Carr
...I was able to catch & hold, but was unable to land or power off. Eventually had to pull the battery to get the motors off...

You manhandled an H+ in flight, wrestling it to get the battery out in order to stop it?

I bet that was something to see.

I'm looking for the first occurrence.
I presume you are flying in Mode 2 which is the throttle on the left stick.
It appears there is roll with the right stick being applied while the red button is pushed. Is it possible you are applying pressure on the right stick while holding the controller? If so the motors won't shut down.

Last edited:
Pulling the battery w/ the motors running was not fun. Hope I never have to do that again.

Yes to Mode 2 - but w/ those files I sent to day the red button did work. No major problems today. But also... Yes very possible that I had pressure on the right stick while trying to shutdown. I frequently feel like I'm all thumbs LOL.

I seem to recall that for an emergency shut down you can press the red button 3 times in rapid succession to stop the motors. I've never had a need to try it.

Pulling the battery w/ the motors running was not fun. Hope I never have to do that again.

Yes to Mode 2 - but w/ those files I sent to day the red button did work. No major problems today. But also... Yes very possible that I had pressure on the right stick while trying to shutdown. I frequently feel like I'm all thumbs LOL.
These flights I do not see any offsets n the numbers for the sticks. At neutral they are at a value of 2048. The only time I see a gain in altitude is when up throttle is applied. I do see the when you apply forward pitch you have a tendency to roll to the right a bit.

The first two files are from a single flight and it appears you had a loss of connection for a bit, thus the start of a second telemetry file for the flight (00043 and 00044).

The other thing I noticed is that you have the flight mode switch in the Home position at startup. Is there a particular reason you do that? Most leave it in the middle Angle mode position.

I am interested in seeing telemetry from the flight where you had to pull the battery.

Last edited:
3 times now I have had the Typhoon H Plus in flights where it just gradually climbs.

Sorry I'm late to the party. This is exactly what I experienced on an intermittent basis, after I updated to Build 822/829, it happens about one out of maybe 10 to 15 flights. I do not think you will see anything in the flight logs but I could be wrong.

This subject has been around before and has been dubbed "Uncommanded assent", but unless you have experienced it for yourself it is likely no one here remembers me complaining about it, and I haven't brought it up in a long time because I have learned to manage it. I have had a couple of occasions when I thought it was just going to fly up to the heavens never to be seen again. I have had to hand catch and pull the battery from a Plus that was violently struggling to get away at full power, It is a horrible experience. NOTE: A triple tap on the red button will kill the motors when the aircraft is experiencing this unwanted behavior.

So far there has been no update to address this, and not all Pluss suffer from it, and it always seems to be intermittent without any pattern. I was given a Beta firmware to try that was suppose to fix it but it did not.

I have learned to live with it in the following manner. As the last step in EVERY pre-flight, I arm the motors and lift off to an altitude of approx 3'~4' AGL and let off the throttle to see if it will hover without any involuntary climbing whatsoever. If it hovers OK, then I try to descend a little. If it all responds normally, I proceed with the flight. However, If it continues to ascend after letting off the stick, or if I cannot descend at all from a hover, or if it is very sluggish to descend, I will hand catch it and shut it down. Every time this has happened, it is always normal again after an aircraft power cycle. I have never had to power-cycle the ST16s, which leads me to believe that issue is in the aircraft, not the ST16s. This is why I doubt you will see any anomalies in the hardware monitor, mine always looks normal when this issue presents itself.

One more thing to check when you experience Uncommanded Assent, especially if the aircraft is slow to descend or will not descend at all, is the position of your rate slider K3, because this will affect how fast or slow the aircraft responds to throttle. If your K3 is in the slowest position when this issue arises, you may not be able to descend at all until you move K3 to the fastest position.

Thanks for the input on this @DCH. When you had your initial trouble with this we just thought your H+ had enough and was trying to escape. ;)

From your description you may well be correct, but the telemetry should show the ascent without input from the throttle. With it seeming to be centered in the aircraft the ‘ulog’ .ulg files that can be retrieved from the aircraft via the USB port may shed more light on what is happening than the files recorded in the ST16S.

You can upload files here for analysis and share the results with the link you get from the site. It gives a lot of information.

The uncommanded climbing is not seen in the Flight log files. Either the sensors give wrong values or it is too minor to see it really good. Here is vertical speed vs. throttle stick:
VSpeed_244.pngVSpeed_245.pngVSpeed_246.png
Landing detection in PX4 autopilot will only work correct if you hold throttle down to minimum all the time until it switches the motors off by itself.
Landing detection fails often. I see a couple of those messages:
CRITICAL: 'NOT DISARMING: Not in manual mode or landed yet.'
It means you want to switch off but landing was not detected yet. I believe thrust is not low enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trav H
DCH - thank you, that is matching what I experienced. Except I have not been able to use the tripple tap to shut her down. Is it three fast clicks, or does it need to be a bit of a hold down of the button for each click?

Doom - No particular reason for starting in 'home' mode - I know it is a safe place and motors will not inadvertently arm in that position.

DCH - thank you, that is matching what I experienced. Except I have not been able to use the tripple tap to shut her down. Is it three fast clicks, or does it need to be a bit of a hold down of the button for each click?
3 very fast clicks, not slow.

The first time it tried to fly away I did not know about the 3 clicks, so I pulled the battery. Another time when it would climb but not descend, I tried the 3 click method because it was so close to the ground, and they stopped instantly and it fell about 2' to the lawn and bounced with no damage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval