Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Grounded due to bat bite

Reaction score
I hope off-topic is ok here, but I assure this incident DID happen while I was flying my H. I got bitten by a bat and have to stay indoors tonight. I had a rabies treatment at the ER which consisted of 21 shots. Seriously. 21.

I was out flying my H for sunset and looking at quite a crowd of bats that was swirling around my cottonwood tree when one of them landed on my shirt sleeve and bit my arm. This only happens to 17,000 people worldwide every year, so it's very rare. On advice from Facebook friends, I reported it to the health department and my doctor, and was advised to go to the ER. The hospital didn't have enough rabies drugs on site and had to send a courier around town for more. It was a real ordeal. Now I'm supposed to rest my arm until the swelling from 17 sites goes down in 12 to 24 hours, then go back in a week for boosters.

Life is an adventure, best live it.

Reactions: Rayray
Yeah...but, that kind of adventure I'd rather read about than live.

Reckon the TH PO'd them? I've had various birds get mad at mine.
Good luck forward.:)

No, they seemed not to notice it because they were below the treetops and the H was at 145'. If a bat lands on a person and bites him, there is something aberrant in its behavior. Rabies can cause that, so they took it seriously.

Sorry to learn of your treatment ordeal. The vaccination series is bad enough to deal with.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I'm already bored though.

That really sucks. It could have been a lot worse had you not gotten good advise. You had the wisdom to act on it.

Wow, hate that it happened to you but glad your getting through it, and in good spirits. The bat bite was bad enough but 21 shots? Thats just crazy.

I still love bats. I've been bitten by dogs and I still love them. I was in good spirits in the ER, asking them if they need to cut off my head to test for rabies, you know, just to be sure.

Texy, how is the healing coming along? Swelling go down yet?
He's still sleeping in his "Dark Place".
I hope everything is okay with you, my Mother-in-law sleeps by hanging by her toe nails in a dark closet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatR and Steve Carr
Texy, how is the healing coming along? Swelling go down yet?
Yes, the swelling was from all the shots being in one place and the subcutaneous lake that was formed there. It's all down. The site of the tetanus shot is still a little achy but not too bad. I have to go in tomorrow morning for boosters and I don't know what that will be like. Maybe I will finally get the infamous triple shot in the stomach this time. I haven't bitten anybody yet, but damned if I don't perceive a new sensitivity to light. Funny.

Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ignore the sensitivity to light. Be concerned, however, if you have an overwhelming desire to hang from your feet.
Or visit a country you have never been to and keep referring to as "The Mother Land"

Reactions: Texy
Sorry for your ordeal -- I suppose you had to maintain H control while freaking out over the intruder and the bite. Kudos -- and best wishes for recovery. Since we are off topic -- I'll pose a question that I've pondered while watching bats over the woods in my own back yard. Here it goes -- does anyone know the answer to this one:
If bats are blind, how do they know when it's dusk or dark?

Reactions: Texy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430