Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

"H" Video files causing fatal pc crashes

Reaction score
I have a problem that I need to correct quickly. I have 2 Hs both with the same updated firmware all the way around. Also performed new calibrations. All systems seem to function correctly except for when I'm shooting Videos. During several flights it looks like I'm recording a video just fine but when I return to the office and try to view the file on my pc it shows there is a mp4 file there but when I open it I get the dreaded white text on the blue screen and the dreaded complete shutdown of the pc. I have many good videos taken with the camera a while ago but nothing as of late. Tried 2 different pc's with the same result so I feel it isn't a pc issue. Unless it's an issue with the software update I have no idea where to look to solve the problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I need to get it corrected as soon as possible. Appreciate your assistance.

I have a problem that I need to correct quickly. I have 2 Hs both with the same updated firmware all the way around. Also performed new calibrations. All systems seem to function correctly except for when I'm shooting Videos. During several flights it looks like I'm recording a video just fine but when I return to the office and try to view the file on my pc it shows there is a mp4 file there but when I open it I get the dreaded white text on the blue screen and the dreaded complete shutdown of the pc. I have many good videos taken with the camera a while ago but nothing as of late. Tried 2 different pc's with the same result so I feel it isn't a pc issue. Unless it's an issue with the software update I have no idea where to look to solve the problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I need to get it corrected as soon as possible. Appreciate your assistance.
Did you try this?

Format the card for the camera while it is in the camera via the ST16, then do a flight with video, remove the card, put it into the a reader, copy the file to the PC, then try to view with VLC?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Can also be a bad card reader that can cause this.

Have you tried to play the videos directly on the controller? From the play button in the lower right.

Have you tried to play the videos directly on the controller? From the play button in the lower right.
They may play, but but if I remember correctly, they are only a thumb version saved to the ST16 of the original. So if you had your setting for file size maxed out, the file saved to the ST16 will still be a smaller file in size, as well as the ratio will be smaller so that is can be seen on the ST16.

They may play, but but if I remember correctly, they are only a thumb version saved to the ST16 of the original. So if you had your setting for file size maxed out, the file saved to the ST16 will still be a smaller file in size, as well as the ratio will be smaller so that is can be seen on the ST16.
I think you are right, the H and controller would probably not enjoy transferring 4k stream. But if it does play then we could move on to having him try putting SD card in the ST16 to try. From there he could plug st16 into PC and transfer, that would test out the card reader theory as well. Just some thoughts.

The ST-16 will play the video from the card in Pad mode. It sounds like there's a computer issue. Try the card in a tablet if you know someone that has one. Try a new card as well.

The ST-16 does not record the HD stream. It records and plays back only 720 for review purposes, and only a limited number of those that are constantly over written.

The firmware did not change the video codec.

Did you try this?

Format the card for the camera while it is in the camera via the ST16, then do a flight with video, remove the card, put it into the a reader, copy the file to the PC, then try to view with VLC?
I like this idea but I'm afraid I'm not sure how to perform this in the camera. Please send me some steps to follow. I'd like to try it. thanks.

The ST-16 will play the video from the card in Pad mode. It sounds like there's a computer issue. Try the card in a tablet if you know someone that has one. Try a new card as well.

The ST-16 does not record the HD stream. It records and plays back only 720 for review purposes, and only a limited number of those that are constantly over written.

The firmware did not change the video codec.
Thanks, I do have a tablet and will try the card in it. Thanks.

You nay need to remove the file from the DCIM folder and transfer it to the tablets video files to play.

It's a condition I've experienced with a Fire tablet. The file would play only once while it still resided in a DCIM folder.

DSCN4359.JPG DSCN4359.JPG DSCN4359.JPG
OK, let me try it and see if it makes a difference.
Sorry to report that it didn't make any difference, however I may have discovered something today. 2 things actually.
1. I was able to open and play the video using Microsoft Movie Maker, after which I saved it to A. 1080 mp4 file format and B. Windows Media Video. Then I could play the A 1080 mp4 file but not the WMV file. It crashed.
I reshot a video today using first my original Video settings of 3040x2160 and then 2560x1440. Again I could not play the original 3040x2160 BUT could "almost" play the 2560x2440 file - meaning that it did play but the bottom half of the frame had vertical black lines through it. I'll try and attach a photo. I'm guessing now but Going back to a suggestion you made a few days ago - could it be that with the latest firmware upgrades that the system is capturing much more information and my pc(s) are not cap[able of handling it??? Take a look at the photo and tell me what you think.

Try going online and Google "codecs". It may be as simple as updating the codecs in your PC. However, your PC may be falling short in necessary RAM, graphics card speed and memory, processor speed, or any combination of those. That you can almost play the 2k files suggests it's a codec issue. Movie Maker pretty much caps out at 1080p. To my knowledge it will not handle 4k processing since it was written for Windows 7 and 8.

View attachment 6299 View attachment 6299 View attachment 6299
Sorry to report that it didn't make any difference, however I may have discovered something today. 2 things actually.
1. I was able to open and play the video using Microsoft Movie Maker, after which I saved it to A. 1080 mp4 file format and B. Windows Media Video. Then I could play the A 1080 mp4 file but not the WMV file. It crashed.
I reshot a video today using first my original Video settings of 3040x2160 and then 2560x1440. Again I could not play the original 3040x2160 BUT could "almost" play the 2560x2440 file - meaning that it did play but the bottom half of the frame had vertical black lines through it. I'll try and attach a photo. I'm guessing now but Going back to a suggestion you made a few days ago - could it be that with the latest firmware upgrades that the system is capturing much more information and my pc(s) are not cap[able of handling it??? Take a look at the photo and tell me what you think.
After seeing the pictures, it looks just like the issue I had with my first recording. Use VLC as a test to speed up or slow down the video to see if it corrects the problem. If you can make it viewed from that point, then it tells me your PC can not handle the the resolution you are trying to record at and you need to reduce the resolution. Start recording video at the lowest resolution, then keep going up till the file can no longer be viewed. This will give you the parameters that you can have your resolution set for recording.

Usually when you see that in a video clip, or even a computer game it is called artifacting. That's where the code is now visible in the image due to a lack of RAM at the PC or the video card. There is a huge technical description for it, but this is the simple form. So although the video itself may be fine, when viewed on a system that is not fast enough with either RAM or a slow PC, the artifacting happens. I'd also take the file to someone else that has a faster system to verify. Sometimes even a PC shop will put it in a system to try. It can also be brought on by a bad video card. As the card begins to work harder to process the output of the stream, it heats up and begins to slow down. Fingers crossed that it worked.

After seeing the pictures, it looks just like the issue I had with my first recording. Use VLC as a test to speed up or slow down the video to see if it corrects the problem. If you can make it viewed from that point, then it tells me your PC can not handle the the resolution you are trying to record at and you need to reduce the resolution. Start recording video at the lowest resolution, then keep going up till the file can no longer be viewed. This will give you the parameters that you can have your resolution set for recording.

I would continue to shoot in your footage in 4K... you can always reduce the file size with any number of MP4
video converters out there to whatever lower resolution your computer can handle. Then if you archive the
original 4K MP4s on an external drive, when you upgrade your system in the future, that new hardware will be
able to handle processing your original 4K video.

Reactions: Murray Martz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval