Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H480 / H Plus Motor SOS!

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
Okay, time to tap into this vast knowledge base, and I'm posting this question under the H discussion to hopefully expand that base.
I managed to get a tiny piece of something ferrous in one of my H Plus motors. Don't ask me where it came from or how it got there, I haven't a clue. All I know is it's there and I'm grounded 'till I get it out. The motor doesn't spin freely and acts like a ratchet sometimes. I can see a tiny object stuck to a magnet, but I can't get it out. I have tried compressed air @120PSI while turning it back & forth but that isn't enough to dislodge it. Paper is about the only thing that will fit between the rotor and the stator but that's useless, and I'm drawing a blank on what would fit and have the strength to drag it out. Has anyone been here before, anyone have a quick slick solution? If not it looks like I need to take the motor apart.

If that's the case, Anyone know a quick slick way to get that tiny circlip off the motor shaft without the proper tool?? Without damaging it? Nothing I have will open up one that small. Wouldn't mind having the right tool but that would take a week to order, if I could find one.

I would simply disassemble the motor. The only thing you have to do is removing the circlip and pull the motor apart. Afterwards it should be no problem removing the pieces.

Reactions: PatR
needle nose tweezers might work ....very carefully
You can get very thin straight pointed ones
You don't want to damage the fine wires
Should be able to get them at your local pharmacy (can't remember what they are called in Germany)

This is why mats are used at the LZ. Motors poles are magnets. You’ll have to disassemble the motor to remove debris. Ferrous contamination is the most difficult to remove and requires access to inside the motor to accomplish the task. It’s not difficult, just don’t damage or lose the circlip. They can be slid off and on the shaft.

Reactions: DCH
Thanks for the replies!

I would simply disassemble the motor. The only thing you have to do is removing the circlip and pull the motor apart.
This was the 2nd half of the problem I posted above: How to "Simply" get the tiny circlip off without damaging it. I would already have it apart but I don't have any circlip pliers that small, or know where to find them. Not to mention the wait if I have to order a pair.

This is why mats are used at the LZ. Motors poles are magnets. You’ll have to disassemble the motor to remove debris. Ferrous contamination is the most difficult to remove and requires access to inside the motor to accomplish the task. It’s not difficult, just don’t damage or lose the circlip. They can be slid off and on the shaft.

Thanks for the reply Pat, I do use a mat for the very reason you mentioned, however this happened between flights somehow. Pat you said it can be slid on and off the shaft. Here is where I could use a pointer or a tip. Can you please elaborate how this is done without the proper pliers?

A tool similar to an awl or small thin blade flat screw driver should do it. These small clips are often tabbed to the inside to make a two or three point lock in a slot in the motor shaft. Get the tool between the tabs on the clip and slide it back and out. Take care as they tend to rocket off the shaft and disappear.

Take care as they tend to rocket off the shaft and disappear.
...Into your eye!:oops:

Thanks for that tip, it wasn't working out so I decided to query the experts last night. Meantime, while waiting for your circlip-tip Pat, I had an Idea!

GOOD NEWS! I got it out! And it was fairly easy, or I was fairly lucky, or a little of both.

I made a tool to push it out with an old .006" feeler gauge and my Dremmel w/cutoff wheel. I cut off a slice and cut a dip in the pushing end to scoop the particle toward the center as I pushed it out. Worked great first try! (As he does the victory dance in the End Zone!)
So next time this happens to someone, and you happen to have an old .006" feeler gauge layin around, use this technique.

From "Help!" to "How To", ...just like that!:cool:

ScreenHunter_6103 Jan. 04 12.35.jpg ScreenHunter_6104 Jan. 04 12.36.jpg

Last edited:
I also try to find a tiny circlip tool to open circlip of my Q500 motor in order to put some oil in its bearing. Has anybody find one?
Never do this! The bearings have a grease lubrication ment for their entire lifetime. If you add oil it might react with the grease and becomes even worse than before. Furthermore the grease is supposed to keep dirt away or trap it in a way the bearing is as safe as possible. For a oil lubrication you need to replace the oil frequently.

If you want to relubricate your bearings properly: Remove the bearing and open it up. Submerge it in Gasoline until all of the old grease is removed. Then clean it again with fresh gasoline in order to get rid of all contaminants. Next add proper grease. Usually a mineral grease based on lithium soap will work fine for all metal bearing. If you have a plastic bearing cage you have to pay attention on chemical properties.

I admit that this procedure is very difficult (impossible) for bearings that size. For larger bearings it is about the only option if you want to ensure that the properties do actually become better than before. Small deviations like cleaning with a ultrasonic cleaner are possible.

Sorry for marking you comment with "sad". Was not my intention but I accidently liked it which I wanted to remove since it is not a good idea.

Be aware that if a piece of Metal got into the Windings, it may have dislodged 1 or more of the Magnets, and it may be difficult to know for sure. You may want to consider Replacing it, it's not worth Crashing your H+.3...... just my Opinion.....;)

One motor makes a little noise, that is why I want to service it. Anyway, I will make a diy tool at the end
Just replace the whole arm and motor completely. The reason I say this is the motor will let you down and cause major expense in the end. To replace the motor only will save a little money but will cause you to pull your hair out with the wires getting caught up on the rivets that hold the arms together at each end. To fit the compleat unit with motor will take you about thirty minutes start to finish.
Cheers.
Mike

Just replace the whole arm and motor completely. The reason I say this is the motor will let you down and cause major expense in the end. To replace the motor only will save a little money but will cause you to pull your hair out with the wires getting caught up on the rivets that hold the arms together at each end. To fit the compleat unit with motor will take you about thirty minutes start to finish.
Cheers.
Mike
I'm with mike on this, why over complicate a simple, and inexpensive replacement part ? Looks like in the end doing it that way, there would be no benefit what-so-ever ? Sorry, but I always look for the easiest, and fastest way out of a problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan